Can Feleipe Franks be a top-tier QB in 2019?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I bet most QBs ratings follow the same trend. What I see is room for improvement and if the game slows down for him his rating against the good teams goes up a bit.

I doubt you find a difference like that with most starting QBs on decent teams. I wouldn't have believed it was that stark of a difference but I do remember someone showing through the Missouri game that Franks had really pedestrian stats when the passes were thrown beyond the line of scrimmage and those quick screens etc. weren't included in his numbers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im not much of a pumper. I think we've probably seen what we will see. Perhaps a little less bad Franks and a lil more good Franks. But Franks nevertheless.

He was a much better fit for soread than drop back passing. But he is still Franks.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm thinking Franks will excel this coming season. More clicks in his brain-growth in this foreign language of CFB.
FF's falloff when we play better than teams probly has more to do with their DL exceeded our OL in those games.??
The biggest "hold-back" on Franks QB elitism will be that Mullen's play selection lowers his opportunities to shine as an all-glorious passer QB.

FF started much deprived of stellar QB coaching and play requirements in H.S.... Then lazy-ball under McElblame's teaching?? Now, entering only his 2nd year at real QB football, FF has greatest probability to make a learning leap.
However weighty the "ability-anchor" he drags into 2019, it won't weigh as much as the grapnel shrapnel his own fans hit him with, preliminarily.?? before he takes the field.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I doubt you find a difference like that with most starting QBs on decent teams. I wouldn't have believed it was that stark of a difference but I do remember someone showing through the Missouri game that Franks had really pedestrian stats when the passes were thrown beyond the line of scrimmage and those quick screens etc. weren't included in his numbers.

You doubt that QBs numbers against better defenses are not as good as their numbers against the lesser defenses?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You doubt that QBs numbers against better defenses are not as good as their numbers against the lesser defenses?

I am saying you will have a hard time finding that big of a difference like Franks has with most starting QBs on the better teams. The difference was pretty stark. I cant remember for sure but weren't a bunch of Franks passing TDs against Charleston Southern, Idaho and Colorado State? I think part of that was Mullen trying to build his confidence when those TDs would have went to RBs mostly if the team had a QB they didn't feel the need to do that.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I am saying you will have a hard time finding that big of a difference like Franks has with most starting QBs on the better teams. The difference was pretty stark. I cant remember for sure but weren't a bunch of Franks passing TDs against Charleston Southern, Idaho and Colorado State? I think part of that was Mullen trying to build his confidence when those TDs would have went to RBs mostly if the team had a QB they didn't feel the need to do that.

And I am saying that I bet most QBs ratings are lower against good defenses and higher against bad defenses ... to which you said you doubted that. I guess you was doubting something I didn't say, hence the confusion. But I actually inferred to your point when I said his room for improvement lies against the better defenses and it would happen if the game slowed down for him. Sorry, just seemed like you doubted me then basically expanded on the very point I was making.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
And I am saying that I bet most QBs ratings are lower against good defenses and higher against bad defenses ... to which you said you doubted that. I guess you was doubting something I didn't say, hence the confusion. But I actually inferred to your point when I said his room for improvement lies against the better defenses and it would happen if the game slowed down for him. Sorry, just seemed like you doubted me then basically expanded on the very point I was making.

Nope just saying it was quite a difference.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Better question is can the O line give him time

Like I've said plenty. Can't be worse than last year with the wild inconsistency. Hell, part of our comeback against Carolina involved Jawaan Taylor being benched for Stone Forsythe (switched back the next series). The advantage this unit has is the year in the system so, in theory, they should know their assignments better.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Super giraffe is tired of your chit....

mhO1umF.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
mhO1umF.jpg

That is one huge animal. In the wild, it is such a placid "live and let live" creature.

The giraffe's lofty place on the evolutionary scale fully depends on the neck's generation? :cool:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Like I've said plenty. Can't be worse than last year with the wild inconsistency. Hell, part of our comeback against Carolina involved Jawaan Taylor being benched for Stone Forsythe (switched back the next series). The advantage this unit has is the year in the system so, in theory, they should know their assignments better.
I agree. They are more talented... less experienced but the last crew's "experience" was Buttering.

Im just not that concerned about the OL. It won't be better than last year initially. But it won't be worse either.

I'm fairly certain last year was the worst OL we will have under Hevesy and Mullinz. Unfortunately, the tea leaves look like worse defenses to come from Choker.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am saying you will have a hard time finding that big of a difference like Franks has with most starting QBs on the better teams. .
Prove it.

62% to 55% isn't much of a difference in my mind.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Lets face it, were not the most talented team but certainly not the least....Stay ahead of the chains on 1st down, 2nd& 5 or 6 doesn't sound glamorous but it keeps the playbook open, wears the defense down and gives the QB a chance to make a play with his legs....it is Mullens MO and it is what it is. He is not going to ask FF to throw 40 or 50 times a game so just realize that won't be happening.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The other numbers have a big difference 6 TDs v 4 Interceptions against the 7 winning record/ power 5 teams. Less yards per game and yards per pass. .
I dont care much about ratings or even yards per. He ran the plays the coach called and Mullinz throws a lot of sideways rinky dink especially when he is concerned about the defense and if the defensive line is penetrating more (which you'd expect with a better opponent).

Last edited:

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks probably isn't going to be a top 10 QB in the nation, but it's not unreasonable to think he'll be a top 5 QB in the SEC. He's got the physical tools, more experience with the playbook, and lots of weapons that he has more practice and rapport with. I think the offense will be pretty fun to watch this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The other numbers have a big difference 6 TDs v 4 Interceptions against the 7 winning record/ power 5 teams. Less yards per game and yards per pass. His rating is literally 50+ points lower against the 7 winning teams.
Where? Show me the other SEC QBs or something if you have this data.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I'm thinking Franks will excel this coming season. More clicks in his brain-growth in this foreign language of CFB.
FF's falloff when we play better than teams probly has more to do with their DL exceeded our OL in those games.??
The biggest "hold-back" on Franks QB elitism will be that Mullen's play selection lowers his opportunities to shine as an all-glorious passer QB.

FF started much deprived of stellar QB coaching and play requirements in H.S.... Then lazy-ball under McElblame's teaching?? Now, entering only his 2nd year at real QB football, FF has greatest probability to make a learning leap.
However weighty the "ability-anchor" he drags into 2019, it won't weigh as much as the grapnel shrapnel his own fans hit him with, preliminarily.?? before he takes the field.

As colorful and illustrative as ever. Rock on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator