CBS's Danielson unimpressed w/ UT

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is Gold, Jerry! Gold!!

https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...-the-least-ready-to-win-tight-games-this-fall

SEC on CBS announcer Gary Danielson says Tennessee is the ‘least ready’ to win tight games this fall

CBS play-by-play man Verne Lundquist usually draws the harsh criticism of SEC fans, but his booth partner Gary Danielson may be feeling some heat from a certain orange-clad fan base soon enough.

The veteran color commentator recently gave an interview to Gridiron Now’s Tony Barnhart, and some of the content found within that Q&A may upset some Vols fans.

Though Tennessee is considered the clear favorite to win the SEC East by odds makers and media types alike, Danielson poured a little cold water on the preseason hype party.

Per Barnhart’s interview, Danielson delivered a strong take on the Vols’ chances of winning the SEC in 2016:

“If Tennessee doesn’t win (the SEC East), it will be really tough to swallow for Tennessee. I think they will win the East, but in order to do it, they will have to win a couple of tight games, which is something they had trouble with a year ago. They will probably show up in Atlanta (for the SEC championship game) and be outmanned (by the West Division champ).

Don’t get me wrong. Tennessee is very physical and they are a really good football team. But right now they are the least ready to win the tight games. That includes their fans, their players and their coaching staff. That is a big hurdle. They will have to win more than one of those tight games.”

Ouch.

Not only did he say the Vols would be “outmanned” by the SEC West champion in a potential SEC championship game appearance, but he also took down the fans, coaches and players alike with his comments on the program’s readiness to win tight games.

That’s a criticism of the Vols that likely stems from close losses to Oklahoma, Florida, Arkansas and Alabama last season.

To be fair, Danielson did say later in the interview with Barnhart that he just doesn’t seen anyone else in the SEC East pushing for the division title, citing quarterback questions for both Florida and Georgia.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's funny. I love that he specified the fans, coaches and players. It's been noted that they have a lot of experienced players returning and that this is the year if they're going to make it happen. The funny part is that if they don't, they'll lose the players (that make them promising) and be stuck with the loser fans and coaches.
:rotfl:

:stars:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think that QB is their main issue. He has shown so far he isn't that good of a passer at all. Unless that changes I think we beat them out for the East.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Were we not outmanned in the SECCG?

To be fair, Danielson did say later in the interview with Barnhart that he just doesn’t seen anyone else in the SEC East pushing for the division title, citing quarterback questions for both Florida and Georgia.

So, this is THE year for TN to win it by default of nobody else being good enough. Got it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think that QB is their main issue. He has shown so far he isn't that good of a passer at all. Unless that changes I think we beat them out for the East.

Don't forget their coach who tightens up in close games. He has coached to lose against us the last two years.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I sure hope we begin to see Mac's brand of player mojo emerge early and steady. I'm ready to revitalize the 'we're coming and we'll find a way to beat you' swagger. Go Gators!!

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Very misleading thread title. He picked UT to win the East. Of course they will be expected to lose to Alabama in the SEC championship. That is not news.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Of course they will be expected to lose to Alabama in the SEC championship.

...aaaannnnd it finally clicked for me. They are division rivals, so they play every year in regular season, correct? So, TN would likely lose mid-October at home to AL, then again in an SECCG rematch should they win the East. Interesting. Not enjoyable to watch other than another TN demolishing, but still...

Nah. Better we win the East and go to the SECCG instead.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Unimpressed but still the SEC East winner. Hate to think what he thinks of us. The SEC east winner is just practice fodder for the West anyhow.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Unimpressed but still the SEC East winner. Hate to think what he thinks of us. The SEC east winner is just practice fodder for the West anyhow.

You're right... it has been that way for awhile hasn't it?
2009 - 2015 - West Champs.
We were the last East team to win it '08... seems like forever ago.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You're right... it has been that way for awhile hasn't it?
2009 - 2015 - West Champs.
We were the last East team to win it '08... seems like forever ago.

And we'll be the NEXT East team to win it. Maybe not this year, but soon.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Treon and Murphy were good enough to beat Tinerc.

Even Driskel was good enough.

Hell, I think MGM is good enough to beat them. I'm sure LDR is.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
He's an awful passer. If we can tackle him, we'll beat them again, checkboard and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.