China plans to catch an asteroid and bring it back to Earth

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
China plans to catch asteroids and bring them down to Earth |

A group of astrophysicists has put forward a plan to take over small near-Earth asteroids and bring them down to Earth. “Unlike missions to bring samples back, we aim to bring back a whole asteroid weighing several hundred tons, which could turn asteroids with a potential threat to Earth into usable resources,” said researcher Li Mingtao.

Pulling down an entire asteroid, scientists believe, could provide plenty of minerals of industrial and economic importance. The technique could also enhance research into solar system origins and the beginnings of water and life on Earth, along with lessening threat posed by near-Earth objects, wrote Tech Times.

For capturing the asteroids, Li and his team pitched to design a spacecraft that can wield a huge bag, which can be used to carry the asteroid as it pushes it toward Earth. As the asteroid will come near Earth, the craft will trigger a heat shield in order to reduce the asteroid’s velocity, also preventing it from burning up when it enters Earth’s atmosphere. The spacecraft will then be directed towards an area with no human settlements where it will be safe to land, explained Xinhua.

However, the plan for sure comes along with many challenges. As a first, detecting an actual asteroid to catch might be bit difficult for which, Li is working with space engineers at the Qian Xuesen Laboratory of Space Technology to develop a constellation of satellites for finding and analyzing near-Earth objects with a diameter of 32 feet.

Also, designing a heat shield that can greatly reduce asteroid speed from 7.7miles/second to 459ft/second will also be challenging.

The team is currently eyeing a small asteroid about 62 million miles away weighing hundreds of tons, but need to know what its components are first. The team hopes to launch their plan into space by 2029 and bring a small asteroid down to Earth by 2034. “Space mining might become a new engine for the global economy,” he said.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Excerpt: What Would Happen if Asteroid 2012 DA14 Hit Earth?

These kinds of impacts aren't too uncommon. In late 2009, an asteroid released the equivalent of 110,000 pounds of TNT over Indonesia when it exploded over the island nation. That space rock was estimated to be 16 to 33 feet (5 to 10 m) in diameter, according to a NASA report.

What could go wrong?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
They're taking this very seriously and are pretty far into the training program for their astronauts.

87243678-asian-man-in-suit-with-butterfly-net-isolated-on-white.jpg

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I would think that mining it in space would be a better option, not bringing a lot of mass down that is not valuable.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I would think that mining it in space would be a better option, not bringing a lot of mass down that is not valuable.
That mass would be unknown, too. I heard "Danger! Danger, Will Robinson!" in my head when I read that.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
That's ridiculous. Everybody knows that you mine asteroids in space for construction in space. You don't fight gravity wells. Jeesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator