Chip Kelly's offense easiest to defend in the NFL

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think in the NFL due to the talent defense had a huge advantage over offense. You have to use a creative offense to help give an advantage to your team, but like this article shows, defense catches up quick. At the college level, I think our 08 defense against the 'epic' Oklahoma offense illustrated this well.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I enjoy reading articles like this and like X's and O's and game management skills talk, but I always said that Chip Kelly was successful at Oregon for 2 main reason, and those reasons would haunt him in the NFL. Firstly, he had better players than most of his opponents in college due a lot to his recruiting. In the NFL there are what 32 teams, so basically every team has great players. Hey they are all professionals. Secondly, and this one rarely gets mentioned, is that the NFL game is played mainly in the middle of the football field. The hashmarks are about 5 yards apart meaning there is no discernible short and wide side of the field. In college, the hashmarks are wider thus creating a true wide and short side of the field. Can you imagine though if Kelly had been coaching college football in the 70's/80's when the hashmarks were ever farther apart? Back then the wide side of the field was 40+ yards and short side was almost nil. But in the college game there is still enough room to the wide side of the field for a player to out run an opponent. In the NFL due to the space and equality of talent, it is practically impossible to outrun anyone to either boundary.

However with all the mishmosh that Kelly did in college that made him so successful, etc., football still comes down to blocking, tackling, sound fundamentals and quality of play. If all that is good, then the results will follow!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
There's a pretty good chance Kelly is available in one or two years. :scratchchin:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think if Kelly came to the SEC the results might be similar to Auburn even though his offense isn't nearly that basic. I think the better defenses would adapt to it quickly after the first year or so.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There's a pretty good chance Kelly is available in one or two years. :scratchchin:
Yes, switch back to a sideways offense. I cant wait to see LDR and Feanks running the option.

Maybe Treon will be available.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Would you still want him after Mac has won a NC or two?
No. But having an offense that can actually cross the 50 would be a breath of fresh air.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, switch back to a sideways offense. I cant wait to see LDR and Feanks running the option.

Maybe Treon will be available.
Our "sideways" offense won us TWO National Titles and complete domination over our rivals.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
5 losses in 2007, 4 losses in 2005 and 6 losses in 2010 was hardly complete domination.
LOL

I see you failed to mention 2006 (National Champs), 2008 (National Champs) and 2009 (13-1 season). Good God we get it, you hate Meyer. But you look like a fool. Those titles aren't going to be taken away no matter how much you wish they were.

And since Meyer left and won yet another title (beating Saban no less), you can't just say he was a one-trick pony.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Would you still want him after Mac has won a NC or two?

Just going on what we have seen and what we know, there is more of a chance that he is available and McElwain has not won anything other than a SEC East title than anything else. I hope this is not the case.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I think if Kelly came to the SEC the results might be similar to Auburn even though his offense isn't nearly that basic. I think the better defenses would adapt to it quickly after the first year or so.
I want to keep Mac BUT the talent Kelly would bring to UF would be off the chart!

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
While Kelly's offenses have little similarity to Spurriers 90's offenses, I think they do have a similarity in that at the college level, they were able to put superior (faster) players in a position to dominate players that were a step behind. Get talented players one on one in open spaces in mismatches (whether vertically or horizontally) and exploit it. These largely haven't worked in the NFL because the talent level is so compressed and the defensive talent/speed is sooo much faster.

The point made above about hashmarks being closer is interesting, and also in the article about NFL officials who intentionally slow the pace of play down is relevant.

I don't watch a ton of NFL football any more, but it is always shocking to me how much faster the players are at every level. The plays develop so fast.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
This is a fascinating x's and o's article on how Chip Kelly's offense has slowly failed in the NFL due to the fact that he refuses to adapt and adjust. Weird stuff.

https://theringer.com/chip-kelly-san-francisco-49ers-offense-f332f053870e#.e4ykjve90

Discuss.
But, but , but I thought he was the greatest offensive coach of all time and great for the game....I said it before and I'll say it again...he would be a .500 coach in the SEC if he ever had the balls to coach here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
"Instead, Kelly’s answer has been to simply run plays that look like read-options, but without any reads or options. This has not gone well. Defenders who used to stand and watch the QB as the running back ran free now immediately collapse toward the runner to stuff the play."

Bingo. It's what we've seen already in 2005 and 2006 with Chris Leak, 2010 with Brantley and later with Driskel (when was questioned by reporters about bad option reads and he admitted that the reads were being called from the coaching box before the play and had been taken from him).

I like the "go fast" aspect of Chip Kelly's offense. He is truly innovative on that front. However, he won't succeed in the NFL until he learns to use a passing QB in that go fast offense and develops some other style of running game (not the option). Qbs aren't going to get any cheaper in the NFL and they will always be prone to injury if he runs them. If he doesn't run his QB, his offense doesn't work.

Even in college, it's hard enough to find a guy who can read defenses and make accurate throws. It's even harder to find one who can also be one of the best running backs on the team. Any offense that requires one or more of those is always going to be very up and down. Sometimes you get a Tim Tebow, but most of the time you get Tyler Murphy, Trey Burton, or Jordan Reed.

Creyer got pretty lucky at Crackumbus, managing to stockpile three good running QBs on one team. It doesn't happen often. I said at the time it was easily his best coaching job, winning a title with his 3rd string QB. Of course, his record since 2009 vs ranked teams is still quite poor, like 4-10 or something similar.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hey Law, what did you think about our D coordinators game yesterday?
I gave you a like, then had to take it back. This isn't the right thread to ask law that question. Ask him in a related thread. This is an NFL thread, not a Gator football thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.