Coach Mac proves his recruiting prowess?

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
On the last 2 plays of the LSU game, there were at least 7 players on the field who will be back in 2017. With the injuries we've had, we have a lot of players getting starts and significant PT. Reese & Johnson will have at least 5 starts each (barring an injury).

As far as the "is Mac smarter than the rest"? Well, I'll say some of his 3-stars are looking good. Others, we have to wait and see. But as far as 3-stars go, outside of Bama, Clemson, FSU, Ohio State and a few other select programs MOST schools have at least half their roster full of 3-stars.

Is Mac smarter than Bret Bielema? His Arkansas roster is chocked full of 3-star kids and they kicked our 3-star kids asses. Is he smarter than Boise's coach (another roster full of 3-star kids). Hell, go down the top 25: Colorado, Penn State, Louisville, Western Michigan, Utah, Washington State, Houston, West Virginia, Wisconsin. All those teams are full of 3-star (or 2-star players).

When your roster is full of 3-stars many times your only option (after an injury) is going to be a 3-star. 3-star's excel all the time (see the list above of the top 25). And some flop.

At the end of the day, I think ALL of us (even the pumpers) would rather have the 4-star (or better) kids.

So to answer is Mac "smarter": no; our 3-star kids are the same as any other program's 3-star kids. Just like our 4-stars and 5-stars are: Some pan out...some don't.
Most 3*s don't pan out especially at UF. There are outliers but UF has won with teams loaded with 4/5* talent. Teams full of 3* may make the top 25 but the don't win NCs. This has been proven over and over again.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
i noticed you left out K. Johnson, J. Sherit, T. Bryan, K. Clark, and M. Harris. all will be back. three or four were on the field for 4th and 1.

yes, Moon red shirted.

we're young, but a lot of these guys have gotten huge minutes and could play "older" than sophomore status would suggest.

we need to find some home run CB's quick. real quick.
Harris was a 4*, SAME for Clark and Sherit and they're WM recruits. I was speaking about the success or lack there of of Macs recruiting.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
Here's our success rate with recruiting and how it relates to stars. Between those years we signed 248 players.

31 5*s
117 4*
100 3*s

Success rates based on making a substantial impact in college:

29/31: Key contributors: Tebow, Harvin, Moss, Harvey, Caldwell, Ivey, Tabor, DFJ, Anzalone, VH3, Elam, Floyd, Easley, etc.

Almost all of our 5*s played in the NFL

79/117 4*s were key contributors: Haden, Wright, Rainey, Cunningham, Doe, Everett, Trattou, Black, Nelson, the pounceys, Sanders, Jones, etc. 40+ made the NFL.

38/100: key contributors. Davis, AMAC, BCJr. 8 made the NFL. Rivals was the service used. So my list in my 1st post ITT based on our history 26 won't contribute substantially. There was a chart that showed 4-5*s teams won more titles and more games against lower rated teams and 5* teams dominated everyone.

Last edited:

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line is we need a top 10 or better class this year and going forward or we are going to be average year in and year out. Mac has done some good with some of our 3 stars but you dont win championships like this. I really hope Franks or Trask or Allen will turn out to be a star.
Really it's a combination of us not getting five stars and Bammer getting all of the five stars. Alabama has not always got these kids the difference is them really.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
J
David Reese was the plan B for Meatchicken and Vosean was Bammers plan B or C for Trailerbammer if those schools didnt land the five stars we spent a year trying to land first.

But make no mistake aboit we did spend a whole year trying to land those other guys first.
That's right. Florida's taken a recruiting hit because of subpar facilities but we are NOT going to reach elite levels without landing elite talent. It's Fantasy Land to think that. Even Hee Haw made a underhanded shot at his critics by sayiing "our guys are not 37 stars". It's not that 3 star talent cannot shine, but the teams with the mostest are the bestest. Alabama, Ohio State...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Most 3*s don't pan out especially at UF. There are outliers but UF has won with teams loaded with 4/5* talent. Teams full of 3* may make the top 25 but the don't win NCs. This has been proven over and over again.

Omar, I agree. Isn't that what my post said? The "outliers" point should be well-taken by those who think our coaching staff has some sort of extraordinary skills at evaluating talent.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If true this does not bode well for college football. There are not enough 5 stars.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If true this does not bode well for college football. There are not enough 5 stars.

I believe we did statistics on it last offseason, approximately 30 5* every year. Some years more, some less.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Here's something to ponder. The O-line is starting to show signs of life. If we string together another couple games of solid play does everyone jump off the fire summers train or stay on?

Put me in the stay on category. I think we would have progressed better and would have better talent at the position presently if we had gotten rid of him and hired someone else.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Mac has to step it up on the trail and pull in the best players, no doubt. But, the landscape for recruiting is far more difficult than it was for Spurrier, and even Meyer.

The ACC now has three high profile, nationally competitive programs, FSU, Miami, USF, and UCF are all trolling the state of Florida, along with Michigan and OSU and everyone in between, and Alabama is THE place to be in the SEC, while all the other SEC teams are also out there trying to reel kids in. Lastly, neither SOS or Meyer had to worry about the fact UF had fallen behind in the facilities game.

Some of these factors were in place during the SOS and Meyer regimes, but not all of them.

Add to all this the dumpster fire that was Chump and recruiting is an uphill battle for any Gator coach at this point.

Nevertheless, we're still Florida and we have every right to expect our coaches to hit the trail and get the talent in here.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's something to ponder. The O-line is starting to show signs of life. If we string together another couple games of solid play does everyone jump off the fire summers train or stay on?
He was handed an absolute shyt sandwich by Chimp. The "just recruit 2 OL per class" thing actually went back into the CUM/Daz years.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lets not pretend these 3 star players aren't playing beside some solid 4 and 5 star players. When you have Caleb Brantley, Joey ivie and the secondary that has all 4 and 5 star players , its gonna make the linebackers and defensive ends look good. We'll see how good they next year when those guys are gone.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Lets not pretend these 3 star players aren't playing beside some solid 4 and 5 star players. When you have Caleb Brantley, Joey ivie and the secondary that has all 4 and 5 star players , its gonna make the linebackers and defensive ends look good. We'll see how good they next year when those guys are gone.
true

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly I think our defense is gonna be atrocious next year. Just look at the list of guys who are gone, then look at the minutes those guys average and the stat contributions they give. Next year might make the 07 D look like rock stars.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014

Put me in the stay on category. I think we would have progressed better and would have better talent at the position presently if we had gotten rid of him and hired someone else.
Not a big summers fan because his recruiting sucks. He is a solid coach though. Petrino had him as his OL coach for years for a reason. Petrino doesn't keep garbage teachers as coaches around on offense.

If OL and run game mauls fsu tonight more people will support or at least tolerate Summers.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One good way of looking at recruiting rankings is the combined 4/5 stars you bring in for a class. Last year we had 17 teams beat us out there in Rivals rankings and right now 12 are ahead of us there for 2017. If those numbers don't pick up some its very hard to win an SEC Championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.