Coach Mac, second impressions.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Ok, so I just got done watching yesterday's presser with Mac and wanted to share a few thoughts to see if others get the same feeling about him as a coach that I got. The first is that he's is dealing with the players on his terms, not theirs. His feelings regarding an "off day" even after a scrimmage made me believe that he is driven to get a system in place BUT even more so to get a mindset in place as well. How many times in the last 5 years have we seen our team play average or even awful after coming off a big win ? Think back and I'm sure you'll remember at least a half a dozen times or more that this happened..UL after FSU in 2012, USCe after UGA last year and many more that I won't name now. I believe that an attitude of complacency has become engraved into the program and Mac is ready to rid the program of it. Notice how he seemed irritated with Adam Lanes "leg injury", and mentioned that he falling behind. Who is he falling behind? Everybody who follows the team knows he's either #1 or #2,pardon the pun, at the position....No, what Mac is saying is get your act together or you will find yourself behind the freshmen coming in the fall....
I wasn't the biggest fan of this hire several months back but despite his seemingly goofy persona he really is a man with a plan to get this thing headed in the right direction. It may take a year or 2 to straighten things out so let's sit back and enjoy the ride.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I like when he said you dont play for championships when you play with that mindset. I feel good about the staff in place and I think we will see much better discipline than we have seen in years. We will also find out what talent we really have at all positions. Looking forward to "the Mac attack".

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
I liked a lot that he did as SOS did numerous times took a lot of the blame on himself. Now of course every players needs to play as if every play is a national championship play. Because it might be. Think of a blocked FG that drove us to an opportunity we might not have otherwise.

In our bowl game at 11-2 a missed play resulted in an easy TD for the other team and started the ball rolling in the wrong direction.

Nobody is doing what Tebow and company did, force the issue to be great. We need some leadership from players as well as coaches not accepting anything less that maximum effort every play.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
gatormandan;n201137 said:
I like when he said you dont play for championships when you play with that mindset. I feel good about the staff in place and I think we will see much better discipline than we have seen in years. We will also find out what talent we really have at all positions. Looking forward to "the Mac attack".

The whole staff seems to have a very professional sense about them. They seem to be forthcoming and informative without all of the BS coachspeak.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You make a good point about the mind set. That's what got from that too.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I still like the guy...........................................................but that doesn't really mean anything.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n201123 said:
. Notice how he seemed irritated with Adam Lanes "leg injury", and mentioned that he falling behind. Who is he falling behind? Everybody who follows the team knows he's either #1 or #2,pardon the pun, at the position.....

I have a feeling Jordan Scarlett is going to make us forget about Lane and maybe even Taylor. Nothing against either of them, but that dude looks like Barry Sanders on video.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Concrete Helmet;n201123 said:
How many times in the last 5 years have we seen our team play average or even awful after coming off a big win ? Think back and I'm sure you'll remember at least a half a dozen times or more that this happened..

I struggle to remember big wins, tbh. And having a poor performance afterward feels like the norm...like the win was a fluke.

I'll have to watch the presser at some point, but seeing the quotes, I also noticed the Adam Lane comments and read between the lines. Mac knows how to use the media to benefit the program, get his point to players and set the tone for the program. I'm still good with the hire.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Original DC;n201162 said:
I have a feeling Jordan Scarlett is going to make us forget about Lane and maybe even Taylor. Nothing against either of them, but that dude looks like Barry Sanders on video.

Scarlett looks pretty good but I don't think we've seen the best of KT. It's kind of hard to be good when 11 guys on the other side of the ball know that you're going to be getting it whenever you're in the game.Not that he will ever be the kind of back his father was but with proper play calling and coaching for the next 2 years he could be very good.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n201177 said:
Scarlett looks pretty good but I don't think we've seen the best of KT. It's kind of hard to be good when 11 guys on the other side of the ball know that you're going to be getting it whenever you're in the game.Not that he will ever be the kind of back his father was but with proper play calling and coaching for the next 2 years he could be very good.

Yeah but if Scarlet is as good as we all think he'll be, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taylor enter the draft early (if he has a decent year) for fear of being surpassed his senior year by an underclassman.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In Nusschamp's offense, there will be more than enough carries for everyone.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No, Nusschamp isn't good enough. His 7 year resume is quite clear.

Let's hope that Mac learned to fire incompetent coordinators as quickly as Saban fired Muschamp and Nusschamp.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n201195 said:
No, Nusschamp isn't good enough. His 7 year resume is quite clear.

Why bother rooting for the team? We have already lost and its over with. We suck.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Time after time we would play a good game against a good opponent then we struggled to beat (sometimes lose to) a weak team and even patsies. That was on the last coaching staff 100%, so yeah, it appears that Mac isn't going to settle for being mediocre and is pushing for excellence, which will lead to playing for championships1.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like we played down to our competition no matter what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.