Coach Mac, second impressions.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not saying I know what our offense is gonna look like, I'll I'm saying is there's no way to tell Mac's coaching tendencies two weeks into his first spring practice.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
t-gator;n202035 said:
I'll I'm saying is there's no way to tell Mac's coaching tendencies two weeks into his first spring practice.
Great point T, if we have learned anything about Spring practice and Spring games around here we should know that it doesn't translate into what we will be doing in the fall...Further more maybe the coaches want to see who the best "football" players are now and the easiest way to do that is practicing in a pro set offense. Most spread offenses can hide fundamental weaknesses in players which is why it's so popular in HS and CFB. If you don't believe me then explain all of the record setting performers in college that turn into bust when they get into the NFL?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n202029 said:
The SEC is as bad as it's been in my lifetime and it has regressed several decades in offensive and defensive philosophy. We are basically what the Big 10 was in the late 80s and 90s.

BS. The Big 10 was never this dominant. You overreact way too much.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n202053 said:
Great point T, if we have learned anything about Spring practice and Spring games around here we should know that it doesn't translate into what we will be doing in the fall...Further more maybe the coaches want to see who the best "football" players are now and the easiest way to do that is practicing in a pro set offense. Most spread offenses can hide fundamental weaknesses in players which is why it's so popular in HS and CFB. If you don't believe me then explain all of the record setting performers in college that turn into bust when they get into the NFL?

If you are suggesting we may switch to a spread offense similar to what was at CSU after evaluating players I think there is a zero chance of something like that happening. Its pretty much guaranteed imo we will be running what Bama and Michigan did those years with some wrinkles thrown in. Hopefully McElwain will make sure Nuss isn't too hard headed on running the ball in situations where it isn't working too good. Nuss ran it about as much at Michigan as he did at Bama despite not having a lot of success running it there. Hopefully we will have somewhere around 50/50 balance.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n202227 said:
Nuss ran it about as much at Michigan (AND WASHINGTON AND FRESNO) as he did at Bama despite not having a lot of success running it at any of those places.
FIFY. His resume is clear.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Mac was hired to produce offense and win. No way he allows a vanilla offense. All this talk about Nuss is pretty much mute. We will have a balanced offense, mark my words.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
gatormandan;n202313 said:
Mac was hired to produce offense and win. No way he allows a vanilla offense. All this talk about Nuss is pretty much mute. We will have a balanced offense, mark my words.
Exactly.

We KNOW what Coach Mac's offense will look like ... it's not a secret or mysterious ... Colorado State ran it last year. As head coach, he had the freedom there to put in anything he wanted, and based on his long experience he crafted an offensive scheme. And it's proven to work, look at the results. So that's what he knows, that's what he trusts, and that's what we'll be running in three years too, but hopefully with a deeper and broader set of more athletic players than Colorado State had. Nuss would not be here if Coach Mac wasn't convinced that Nuss could (and would) coach and run Mac's offense.

The only real question is how much of it we can run in 2015 (when it's new to everybody), and then in 2016 (when all returnees will have two springs and one regular season with it), and then in 2017.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nussmucker knows who butters his bread.

Jand3k

I Don't Re Member
Sep 12, 2014
Does anyone else find it odd (contradictory even) that we all hated the thought of Muschamp meddling with the offense while at Florida, which he didn't actually do, yet we assume Coach Mac will automatically meddle with Nussmeier's and make it better? And it is completely expected and accepted. :headscratch:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Jand3k;n202410 said:
Does anyone else find it odd (contradictory even) that we all hated the thought of Muschamp meddling with the offense while at Florida, which he didn't actually do, yet we assume Coach Mac will automatically meddle with Nussmeier's and make it better? And it is completely expected and accepted. :headscratch:

I see your point but Muschamp admitted to not being well versed on the offensive side of the ball when he arrived. Mac on the other hand has extensive experience with offenses and QB's in particular.I say let him meddle all he wants as far as I'm concerned.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jand3k;n202410 said:

No.
It will be Mac's offense completely with input from Nussy and the other O coaches. Mac knows the fans demand a potent offense after Mustake and has promised to apply the pressure. However, it will take some time due to roster imbalance.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n202416 said:
I see your point but Muschamp admitted to not being well versed on the offensive side of the ball when he arrived. Mac on the other hand has extensive experience with offenses and QB's in particular.I say let him meddle all he wants as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you! There's a huge difference between a Defense minded head coach and an Offense minded head coach getting involved in the offense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If you are suggesting we may switch to a spread offense similar to what was at CSU after evaluating players I think there is a zero chance of something like that happening. Its pretty much guaranteed imo we will be running what Bama and Michigan did those years with some wrinkles thrown in.
My point is that unlike programs who KNOW they are going to run a pass spread or spread option which I believe there is zero chance of us rolling out next year, our coaches are probably evaluating players for the sets they plan on practicing next fall. Yes there will be some carryover from spring to fall, but they want to know who will be #1's when they go 2TE or 4 wide, or whatever in between....It's no big secret that our offense has been a hodge podge of misfit athlete's for the last 5 years. It's up to Mac to find out which ones are actually football players built for specific positions. I think some of ya'll are putting the cart before the horse on this offense versus that offense....

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac will tailor this offense to the players strengths, particularly this first year.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
... Hopefully McElwain will make sure Nuss isn't too hard headed on running the ball in situations where it isn't working too good. Nuss ran it about as much at Michigan as he did at Bama despite not having a lot of success running it there. ...

What if they didn't have success at anything offensively? (sound familiar?)

Let's look at it this way. If the coaches work to develop balanced success so that the team can have success at either running or passing, you have four possible scenarios that could be reality depending on player talent, coaching ability, and defensive response.

1. Effective passing, effective running (+,+)
2. Effective passing, ineffective running (+,-)
3. Ineffective passing, effective running (-,+)
4. Ineffective passing, ineffective running (-,-)

If you're in reality #1 or 3, you may have a higher proportion of runs to passes. If you're in reality #4, failing to successfully run may be a less harmful option than failing to successfully pass. I don't know anything about Michigan football recently, but if they stunk at both, does it matter that they stuck with running?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
LagoonGator68;n202431 said:
Mac will tailor this offense to the players strengths, particularly this first year.

I agree and he has a real challenge at some positions. It will be interesting to see how he game plans for the areas that can't be brought up to prime time level for this season...I have concerns at QB and offensive line so it will be interesting to see how much progress he makes by fall.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
My second impression is the same as my first; I think he's a good hire who will turn the program around. What I am interested to see is the games we lose this year. Under the previous regime we found ways to lose winnable games, and didn't bother to show up at all at the longshot games. I expect that to change under McElwain.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n202431 said:
Nope, just ask gator fever. Mac's just gonna chill on the sidelines and nussmeier is gonna line the offense up in the power I and run it 70 percent of the time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n202446 said:
Mac's just gonna chill on the sidelines and nussmeier is gonna line the offense up in the ace and run it 70 percent of the time.
FIFY.

He doesn't like FBs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.