Coach Mac speaks about Del Rio

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, just as I told you in 2009 that there was a price to pay for recruiting 2 OL (and doing it again the next 2 years), there is a price to pay coming up for us failing to recruit DTs or interior LBs the last two years.

We will pay.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Well, just as I told you in 2009 that there was a price to pay for recruiting 2 OL (and doing it again the next 2 years), there is a price to pay coming up for us failing to recruit DTs or interior LBs the last two years.

We have 1 Sr at the DL position for 2016...2017 we will have more soph's, jr's, sr's

LB's by 2017 you will see some of the ones we recruited at OLB move to the interior...

Is our situation ideal? No. Is it as grave you predict? No. The OL situation of '09 is not even close to comparable to our current situation on D

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Is our situation ideal? No. Is it as grave you predict? No. The OL situation of '09 is not even close to comparable to our current situation on D

The only legit DTs we'll have for the 2017 season are Clark and Bryan. We need some bodies badly.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Playing freshmen at DT and LB?
Pfft!! No..............especially on the DT comment. Anyway, didn't Floyd and Easley play a bunch as true Freshmen? Reese will see considerable time at LB this coming season. Also, we have a little depth at both positions; granted, much less at LB. Maybe your comment should have just been aimed at LB.

LB (the weakest link)
Rolin will be a Senior, if he survives 2016.
Reese and K. Johnson will be Sophomores with considerable playing time from the upcoming season.
Depending on injuries to Anzalone and Rolin, Moon and Joseph could see some PT and could be Sophomores in 2017.

DT (a solid group)
Clark will be a Senior.
Jefferson will be a Junior and will likely be solely inside come 2017 (we have a plethora of young DEs).
Bryan will be a Junior.
A. Ivie will be a Sophomore.

It's up to Rumph and Shannon to get some top DT and LB recruits to see the opportunity for 2017 and beyond at those positions, and it had better be a top priority for the entire staff.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pfft!! No..............especially on the DT comment. Anyway, didn't Floyd and Easley play a bunch as true Freshmen? Reese will see considerable time at LB this coming season. Also, we have a little depth at both positions; granted, much less at LB. Maybe your comment should have just been aimed at LB.

LB (the weakest link)
Rolin will be a Senior, if he survives 2016.
Reese and K. Johnson will be Sophomores with considerable playing time from the upcoming season.
Depending on injuries to Anzalone and Rolin, Moon and Joseph could see some PT and could be Sophomores in 2017.

DT (a solid group)
Clark will be a Senior.
Jefferson will be a Junior and will likely be solely inside come 2017.
Bryan will be a Junior.

It's up to Rumph and Shannon to get 2017 some top DT and LB recruits to see the opportunity for 2017 and beyond at those positions, and it had better be a top priority for the entire staff.

Mac is going to have to bring in at least 1 JUCO DT. RARELY does someone play DT as a freshman in the SEC. If he can bring 2-3 solid DEs, 1 JUCO DT, and one 2017 DT, we'll be fine. He'll need to bring in 2 DTs again in 2018 to restock the pipeline. You can assume that 1-2 DEs will outgrow their bodies and become DTs.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the staff really thought that Holley would be back on the field. I don't think he'll ever play DT here. Maybe DE. But not DT. And that's odd - It usually doesn't happen that way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
```````
DT (a solid group)
Clark will be a Senior.
Jefferson will be a Junior and will likely be solely inside come 2017 (we have a plethora of young DEs).
Bryan will be a Junior.
Sorry that it's even close to solid. Bryan and Jefferson are not DTs at all. They are just full-sized ends. You can't play them at NT. Neither is Ivie. Bryan also hasn't shown anything against anyone but our own pathetic lines. He plays way too high and probably won't ever be serviceable.

Clark is the only true DT and he hasn't showed anything so far.

We need at least three deep, really four deep because the bigger eaters hitting other big eaters have the most injuries. Real DTs would be better but one or two heavy ends playing DT is passable if they are run stoppers. Ce Ce will be but I don't think Bryan ever will be.

You have to be smoking some heavy shyt to think that is a solid group.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All depends on recruiting...We RS a lot of guys the last couple of years on both sides of the ball. Big issue is going to be secondary. The only good thing about that is you can start freshman in those positions which you cannot do at DL and LB
Sure there are some elite corners and safeties that could play right away, but there's not many of those. Mac still has to bring those guys in, and the guys we have now need more time to develop. Plus we whiffed at DT and didn't do as good at LB unless coach Mac found some underrated gems.

Again think back to 2007. Most of the starters then were the same guys in 2008. Inexperience really hurts and so far Mac hasn't recruited well enough on that side of the ball to compensate. I think the defense will be fine in 2018 assuming that defensive recruiting improves.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I think the staff really thought that Holley would be back on the field. I don't think he'll ever play DT here. Maybe DE. But not DT. And that's odd - It usually doesn't happen that way.

So does this mean Holley is healthy? I don't remember him being healthy for as long as he's been here.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
```````

Sorry that it's even close to solid. Bryan and Jefferson are not DTs at all. They are just full-sized ends. You can't play them at NT. Neither is Ivie. Bryan also hasn't shown anything against anyone but our own pathetic lines. He plays way too high and probably won't ever be serviceable.

We need at least three deep, really four deep because the bigger eaters hitting other big eaters have the most injuries. Real DTs would be better but one or two heavy ends playing DT is passable if they are run stoppers. Ce Ce will be but I don't think Bryan ever will be.

If we don't bring in a JUCO DT this year (maybe even 2), 2017 is going to be a mess on the D line. We also need about four linebackers.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac is going to have to bring in at least 1 JUCO DT. RARELY does someone play DT as a freshman in the SEC. If he can bring 2-3 solid DEs, 1 JUCO DT, and one 2017 DT, we'll be fine. He'll need to bring in 2 DTs again in 2018 to restock the pipeline. You can assume that 1-2 DEs will outgrow their bodies and become DTs.

Absolutely. With the two Davis boys, Reed and Clayton I think we are looking fine at end year after next. I also would assume Sherit would be a RS sr that year.Obviously we'll take another blue chipper or two , as it at least sounds like the staff is serious about moving Cece inside. We'll see how that goes this year, but I prefer him as a strongside end. Try to rest easy Law, reinforcements will be coming from the JUCO level at DT. Nevertheless it would appear we'll be taking a step back on D in 17'.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arm strength means nothing when all you need to throw is a 7 yard crossing pattern. Treon threw one into the dirt at LSU on a 2nd and 10 and a lot of room to run.

The best part about breaking in a new QB this year will be LDR will have a 3 game warmup before he has to go to Tennessee.
Any chance UT will be looking ahead to UGA???

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
```````

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator