Coaches getting axed begins

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Satterfield (App State) to Louisville is heating up...and Ga Tech is getting in line (would be a great hire for either). Matt Canada is a back-up plan at Louisville.

Looks like GT will likely hire Whisenhunt, who hasn't coached college football for more than 20 years. Geoff Collins is a back-up plan at GT. Also - oddly, Gus Malzahn's name has been mentioned.

Louie Addazio (you know who's son) is joining Loeffler at BGSU as TE's coach (Addazio was a grad assistant at Ohio State this year).

Kansas State head coaching job is now open w/ Bill Snyder's resignation.

GT just doesn’t care anymore

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Brett_McMurphy: Florida State OC/QB coach Walt Bell named coach at UMass

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@Brett_McMurphy: Florida State OC/QB coach Walt Bell named coach at UMass
@champton85: Bell made $700,000 at #FSU as OC for the #Noles

He's leaving that for a job that pays him $625,000 at U-Mass,

If that ain't the definition of #DoSomething, I don't know what is,...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
@champton85: Bell made $700,000 at #FSU as OC for the #Noles

He's leaving that for a job that pays him $625,000 at U-Mass,

If that ain't the definition of #DoSomething, I don't know what is,...

Taking a pay cut for a lesser program is actually not uncommon. Everette Withers left Ohio State, making over $600K, to make $425k at JMU. Many of these Group of 5 jobs (and 1AA) don't pay anywhere near what a coordinator (or position coach in some cases) make at bigger P5 schools. I saw recently the TE coach at FAU is making $65K. Most of these guys that leave the money job seriously want to be a head coach. If he succeeds it will lead to a much bigger pay day. Satterfield is about to triple (or more) his salary from App State.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Satterfield (App State) to Louisville is heating up...and Ga Tech is getting in line (would be a great hire for either). Matt Canada is a back-up plan at Louisville.

Looks like GT will likely hire Whisenhunt, who hasn't coached college football for more than 20 years. Geoff Collins is a back-up plan at GT. Also - oddly, Gus Malzahn's name has been mentioned.

Louie Addazio (you know who's son) is joining Loeffler at BGSU as TE's coach (Addazio was a grad assistant at Ohio State this year).

Kansas State head coaching job is now open w/ Bill Snyder's resignation.
Heard on the radio that GT gave Whisenhunt 48 hours to take it or they were moving on the the next candidate.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Heard on the radio that GT gave Whisenhunt 48 hours to take it or they were moving on the the next candidate.

I think it's a terrible hire. He's buddies w/ the AD (and an alum), but he's a pro football guy. I want them to hire someone who will at least give Kirby some competition - maybe win 1 out of 5, and win a few recruiting battles.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's a terrible hire. He's buddies w/ the AD (and an alum), but he's a pro football guy. I want them to hire someone who will at least give Kirby some competition - maybe win 1 out of 5, and win a few recruiting battles.
You can’t win recruiting battles at GT. Their admission standards are too high to be competitive, until the administration decides football is important, it will continue to be a place you can’t win. That’s why I think a coach like Paul Johnson was perfect there with his offense that teams only saw once a year.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Taking a pay cut for a lesser program is actually no uncommon. Everette Withers left Ohio State, making over $600K, to make $425k at JMU. Many of these Group of 5 jobs (and 1AA) don't pay anywhere near what a coordinator (or position coach in some cases) make at bigger P5 schools. I saw recently the TE coach at FAU is making $65K. Most of these guys that leave the money job seriously want to be a head coach. If he succeeds it will lead to a much bigger pay day. Satterfield is about to triple (or more) his salary from App State.
4799637.jpg

JK

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Looks like GT will likely hire Whisenhunt, who hasn't coached college football for more than 20 years.

That would be a typical GA Tech move...Chan Gailey 2.0. They have a chance to get a really good up & comer and start giving UGA some competition for prospects...and they lean towards some guy that’s AARP eligible. :facepalm:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You can’t win recruiting battles at GT. Their admission standards are too high to be competitive, until the administration decides football is important, it will continue to be a place you can’t win. That’s why I think a coach like Paul Johnson was perfect there with his offense that teams only saw once a year.
How much different can the standards be than Stanford's? You have absolutely no chance at anything running the triple option. Whisenhunt 's a terrible hire too imo. Shoulda made a run at Neal Brown at troy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.