Coaching candidates for 2024

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
Kalen DeBoer out of Washington has to be on the list. He's succeeded everywhere he's gone, most recently turning a 4-8 team into an 11-2 team in year 1 and a 13-0 playoff team in year 2 at Washington. That's a proven track record of success.

He had the 5th best passing offense in the country in 2020 and 9th best in 2021, both at Fresno State, and he's had the #1 passing offense in the country each of the last two years at Washington. Florida needs a guy with an effective passing attack, and he brings it.

The only knock is that he's not an ace recruiter, but that matters less when you can build from the portal. If we need someone who's going to win big and win now to get the fans and alumni back on board and open up the flow of booster funds for NIL, he's the guy.

Florida's a clear upgrade over Washington in terms of resources and recruiting footprint, and Washington doesn't have Phil Knight fighting back against having someone poach their HC the way Oregon would. I think it's completely doable to pull him over here.

ted

Aug 24, 2019
Kalen DeBoer out of Washington has to be on the list. He's succeeded everywhere he's gone, most recently turning a 4-8 team into an 11-2 team in year 1 and a 13-0 playoff team in year 2 at Washington. That's a proven track record of success.

He had the 5th best passing offense in the country in 2020 and 9th best in 2021, both at Fresno State, and he's had the #1 passing offense in the country each of the last two years at Washington. Florida needs a guy with an effective passing attack, and he brings it.

The only knock is that he's not an ace recruiter, but that matters less when you can build from the portal. If we need someone who's going to win big and win now to get the fans and alumni back on board and open up the flow of booster funds for NIL, he's the guy.

Florida's a clear upgrade over Washington in terms of resources and recruiting footprint, and Washington doesn't have Phil Knight fighting back against having someone poach their HC the way Oregon would. I think it's completely doable to pull him over here.
Can he win without Penix………

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
Can he win without Penix………
Impossible to say for sure, but he did at the G5 level, and he's certainly winning with him at Washington. He also managed to pull him out of the transfer portal and win right away, which is going to be an important trait for whoever our next guy is given Billy's boat is leaking like a sieve and guys are jumping ship.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

If he's already having success out there like he is now, I don't see him leaving. Don't get me wrong, I'd have him up there with or above kiffin or Lanning. It's just not happening though.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I’m not so sure. There’s no way Stricklin is going to fire him. The question is when will Stricklin be shown the door?
Yep. This really is the question. He can't be allowed to pick the next coach. And it's past time for Foley to be banned from campus.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Obviously I'll get attacked by the mob, but the team will be better next season - a lot of young recruits will make an impact. No one wants to hear it because they want Billy gone, but to completely dismiss the idea that this team can win 7 or 8 games next season is a mistake, no matter what the schedule is.

Napier isn't getting fired next year. Settle in.

Stricklin sure as HELL isn't getting fired, so put that idea out of your head no matter what happens to Billy.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes the Washington guy is a proven winner and no brainer hire . Him and Lanning are good coaches that will continue to have success.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Obviously I'll get attacked by the mob, but the team will be better next season - a lot of young recruits will make an impact. No one wants to hear it because they want Billy gone, but to completely dismiss the idea that this team can win 7 or 8 games next season is a mistake, no matter what the schedule is.

Napier isn't getting fire next year. Settle in.
You're probably right. I wouldn't be surprised if Strick told him he had 5 years for his rebuild when he was hired, barring any scandals or legal issues. He sure doesn't seem to have any urgency in what he's doing.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

At the moment there’s a very real chance 3 of our top 4 recruits are playing not only somewhere else, but possibly against us next year. All impact players at positions of need. Assuming Lagway and the LBs stick, those are the only areas we’re adding anything critical. When 9 people show up for the Stetson game, following the um loss(Napier’s 6th in a row), the wheels will begin turning. It’s how it works.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
At the moment there’s a very real chance 3 of our top 4 recruits are playing not only somewhere else, but possibly against us next year. All impact players at positions of need. Assuming Lagway and the LBs stick, those are the only areas we’re adding anything critical. When 9 people show up for the Stetson game, following the um loss(Napier’s 6th in a row), the wheels will begin turning. It’s how it works.
Samford… but I’m not stopping you, you’re on a roll.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I get the wishful thinking on your part, I really do. You're still living in the past, when Bull Gator money and fan attendance used to matter - it no longer does. Hell, they are going to remove tens of thousands of stadium seats in the upcoming renovation. The money is there whether the fans are or not.

What's a real shame is that our fans are going to be disappointed with any wins next season from the go. Honestly I don't see a need to watch if the reason for doing so is to hope for embarrassment so the coach can get let go sooner. Gator fans haven't actually been behind a head coach since 2009. Some of us cheer for a little while and then hope for losses, some openly, some secretly. It ain't much fun anymore.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I get the wishful thinking on your part, I really do. You're still living in the past, when Bull Gator money and fan attendance used to matter - it no longer does. Hell, they are going to remove tens of thousands of stadium seats in the upcoming renovation. The money is there whether the fans are or not.

What's a real shame is that our fans are going to be disappointed with any wins next season from the go. Honestly I don't see a need to watch if the reason for doing so is to hope for embarrassment so the coach can get let go sooner. Gator fans haven't actually been behind a head coach since 2009. Some of us cheer for a little while and then hope for losses, some openly, some secretly. It ain't much fun anymore.

Dude, the Swamp was a sold out every game this year and last. For that matter some have claimed the ‘21 Ala game was as great an atmosphere as we’ve had in decades. Aub 19 as well. To say the fans haven’t been behind a coach, especially this one is insane. He was given every opportunity to harness that and do great here. His squandering of that goodwill and the fallout he’s about to see has nothing to do with the fan base.

Second, again, I posted a picture of Fuchs in the president’s box during the Samford game in 21. The noticeable scowl on his face said it all. It was the worst attendance all season and that didn’t go unnoticed. I said then that Mullen was done. He was fired exactly 8 days later.

As for cheering on losses, I think you manufacture that more in your head than you think. Do some give up, yes. But those same people that have given up on this clown and the three before him were later vindicated. Hire the right guy, watch him take some understandable bumps and bruises along the way, and the fans will absolutely stick by his side. Do what’s been done post Meyer and you will get the results those idiots got. It’s not complicated.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, the Swamp was a sold out every game this year and last. For that matter some have claimed the ‘21 Ala game was as great an atmosphere as we’ve had in decades. Aub 19 as well. To say the fans haven’t been behind a coach, especially this one is insane. He was given every opportunity to harness that and do great here. His squandering of that goodwill and the fallout he’s about to see has nothing to do with the fan base.

Second, again, I posted a picture of Fuchs in the president’s box during the Samford game in 21. The noticeable scowl on his face said it all. It was the worst attendance all season and that didn’t go unnoticed. I said then that Mullen was done. He was fired exactly 8 days later.

As for cheering on losses, I think you manufacture that more in your head than you think. Do some give up, yes. But those same people that have given up on this clown and the three before him were later vindicated. Hire the right guy, watch him take some understandable bumps and bruises along the way, and the fans will absolutely stick by his side. Do what’s been done post Meyer and you will get the results those idiots got. It’s not complicated.

This is where the issue is, how can we get the right guy, the guy that fits/embraces the culture and the fanbase with an AD who is a fundraiser and doesn't understand it himself.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This is where the issue is, how can we get the right guy, the guy that fits/embraces the culture and the fanbase with an AD who is a fundraiser and doesn't understand it himself.

You can’t. Again, this dates back to when Neighbor was first hired, and it was nothing but optimism. I said, then, that one way or another this would be Strickland‘s last hire. No one on planet earth thinks he gets a third crack at this. The only thing that’s keeping him safe for the moment is that Sasse has more pressing issues now. If he were approaching year 3 instead of year 2, this would probably have already happened.

Kevlo911

Oct 29, 2019

Stricklin sure as HELL isn't getting fired, so put that idea out of your head no matter what happens to Billy.
i was all on board with you for the 23 season that we would be better without AR and year 2 stuff.

but with the o-line recruiting and so far, lack of transfers in the trenches, i dont see how we can better. some position groups will get better but nothing shows we will be able to have even an average o-line for 24.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@t-gator It’s all speculative until there’s new blood in the athletic administrative office(s). Got to have somebody who’s priorities are:
  1. Football
  2. Spring Football
  3. Recruiting
  4. Everything else
Change the mindset at that level and we’ll be ready to not only find the guy who will turn the program around, but he’ll also have not just a coordinated plan and support to make it happen, but also the resources. The two nitwits we have as AD and AD Emeritus are empty suits who collectively couldn’t attract a hooker in New Orleans with cash money sticking out of their lapel pockets. For the record, most of the names on your list are capable, interesting, if not solid, but will need plenty of incentives and leeway if they are to seriously consider UF.

Once this is done, I think most of the guys on your list have the acumen, but a factor that should be in the front of everybody’s mind is what kind of staff can we reasonably expect them to be able to assemble? Looking backwards, I’m not so sure many didn’t stop at Corey Raymond, Sean Spencer, and maybe initially Rob Sale where Napier’s staff was concerned. After two disastrous seasons, however, it is crystal clear that Napier is not going to attract top tier assistants, especially at this juncture. No good assistant will want to hitch a ride with this staff that is headed for the dump unless they are desperate.

I hate the word “reset,” but it is beyond clear to me that it is what’s needed and should have been initiated immediately after the season concluded. Learning from the mistakes made, not repeating them, and making sure the same decision-makers don’t get the opportunity to sink us further is paramount. The time to stop throwing good money after bad, a decade-plus plan that has failed miserably, is now here and in our faces. Please, let’s not screw it up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator