Colorado baseball kids snubbed.....

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Getting drunk is acceptable but getting high is not acceptable? Just curious.

Under most schools' current rules and guidelines, yes.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It’s legal to drink but it’s still illegal to drink and drive. Same with pot. It’s a DUI.
Apples and oranges. Imagine recruiting a football team where drinking is illegal from student athletes who are accustomed to drinking. Now they have to stop. Furthermore, the analogy between pot and booze is very inexact. Furthermore, bringing In students who are accustomed to pot to explain to your students what they are missing (and that they are wusses for missing it) might affect the team chemistry. None of which excuses the coach's candor.

Last edited:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Apples and oranges. Imagine recruiting a football team where drinking is illegal from student athletes who are accustomed to drinking. Now they have to stop. Furthermore, the analogy between pot and booze is very inexact. Furthermore, bringing In students who are accustomed to pot to explain to your students what they are missing (and that they are wusses for missing it) might affect the team chemistry. None of which excuses the coach's candor.

Apples to oranges again.

Pot is illegal for those kids, just like booze. In that respect, the analogy between pot and booze is the same. Plus, booze will get you much more messed up than pot will.

Plus - many kids from states where pot is illegal, still smoke it. Look at our own team for examples. Kids from all states drink booze, when they go to college to play ball, they are supposed to stop.

The coach was crass, which does not reflect well on his employer.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Apples to oranges again.

Pot is illegal for those kids, just like booze. In that respect, the analogy between pot and booze is the same. Plus, booze will get you much more messed up than pot will.

Plus - many kids from states where pot is illegal, still smoke it. Look at our own team for examples. Kids from all states drink booze, when they go to college to play ball, they are supposed to stop.

The coach was crass, which does not reflect well on his employer.
As I said, does not excuse the coach. Seems like, despite being so close, you missed the point. "... they are supposed to stop" But they don't!!

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
That number is just so shockingly high (pun intended) that I had to Google it.

Reality is quite a bit different than what you are implying.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/21/auto-crashes-are-on-the-rise-in-marijuana-states.html
Thanks for the citation on the rise of all car accidents in pot states, but I am sure that you noticed that my comment was specifically about pedestrian collisions with cars. And what did you think I implied? Incidentally, 3 per cent overall is very significant. Wonder how many lives were lost in that 3 per cent rise? More or fewer than Parkland?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the citation on the rise of all car accidents in pot states, but I am sure that you noticed that my comment was specifically about pedestrian collisions with cars. And what did you think I implied? Incidentally, 3 per cent overall is very significant. Wonder how many lives were lost in that 3 per cent rise? More or fewer than Parkland?
So pedestrians are running into cars? They must be really stoned. :lol:
But seriously, one could argue 3% can be lost in statistics. More people are driving everyday, more people are walking around or riding their bikes everyday, more and more of these people are idiots (maybe stoned, maybe drunk, maybe both, who knows), so more people are going to get killed everyday doing such activities, if they're not careful. Be safe out there! :bandit:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
So pedestrians are running into cars? They must be really stoned. :lol:
But seriously, one could argue 3% can be lost in statistics. More people are driving everyday, more people are walking around or riding their bikes everyday, more and more of these people are idiots (maybe stoned, maybe drunk, maybe both, who knows), so more people are going to get killed everyday doing such activities, if they're not careful. Be safe out there! :bandit:
Can't rule out other factors. That's true. However, if the numbers are up uniformly in the legal pot states, the conclusion is pretty obvious. Three per cent might not be statistically significant, depending on the number of accidents involved, but, again, if it hits the pot states it would be clear. Remember the number I had read was 16 per cent increase for pedestrians and cars. Cell phones have increased these accidents all over, but the dramatic increase seems to be in pot states. The good thing here is that by going state we have a chance to discover unanticipated consequences before the nation is entirely committed.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can't rule out other factors. That's true. However, if the numbers are up uniformly in the legal pot states, the conclusion is pretty obvious. Three per cent might not be statistically significant, depending on the number of accidents involved, but, again, if it hits the pot states it would be clear. Remember the number I had read was 16 per cent increase for pedestrians and cars. Cell phones have increased these accidents all over, but the dramatic increase seems to be in pot states. The good thing here is that by going state we have a chance to discover unanticipated consequences before the nation is entirely committed.
I agree that each state will provide it's own unique data set, and I don't discount the current data showing an increase in accidents in legal pot states. It probably holds water, but to me 3% is pretty insignificant, taking all human emotional factors out of it. I don't believe the population as a whole is going to see 3% as 'significant'. More states will continue to legalize and some will never. More data will be generated and more analysis is warranted, but my guess if it stays at a steady 3% increase, that will be acceptable to the majority of states that have or intend to legalize.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think the real loser here is the pipeline of Colorado baseball players going to Texas Wesleyan. The relationship will never recover.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Bart, you inspired me to check the data. The Boston Herald reporting the governor's highway safety...etc..tha t pedestrian/auto accidents in first six months of 2017 was up 16 per cent in the seven pot legal states and down 6 per cent in the other 43 states. No argument on those statistics. Nation wide legalization might result in 800 additional deaths.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Booze clears your blood in 12 to 24 hours, Pot takes DAYS.... Therefore it's easier to hide boozers than potheads

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator