"Cost of Attendance" Stipends per conference

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How much does the COA stipends affect recruiting? Take a look at this list and notice the differences:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-college-football-cost-of-attendance-database

This is based off of this current academic year and is sure to increase next year.

UF = $3,830 (ranked 9th in the SEC, less than $100 more than LSU & UGA who are 10th & 11th)

FSU = $6,018

Tenn = $5,666 (highest in the SEC, nearly $2K more than UF)

Bama = $5,386

Florida Atlantic = $6,060

Florida International = $6,000

Interestingly, Ohio State is "only" $2,970.

Michigan = $2,354 (surprising)

---

IMO, the NCAA needs to set a limit on this. No way should a school pay 2x (or more) what another school is paying.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How on earth can the cost of attendance at FSU be double the cost of attendance at UF?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
FSU probably took into account the cost of legal fees...falls within the miscellaneous personal expense.

Being at the top of the list, I'm sure Cincinnati and Louisiana-Monroe will rake in the recruits now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
FSU probably took into account the cost of legal fees...falls within the miscellaneous personal expense.

Being at the top of the list, I'm sure Cincinnati and Louisiana-Monroe will rake in the recruits now.

Well, we know we're not (hopefully) competing for recruits w/ Cincinatti and La-Monroe. But for a kid choosing between FSU and Florida that's more than $10,500 over 5 years. That kind of money matters to a kid from the hood and could easily sway his decision - especially when FSU has a 4 game winning streak vs. us and a more recent NC.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
How on earth can the cost of attendance at FSU be double the cost of attendance at UF?
They know how to "Cook the books" that's how! Also...them being able to give recruits 2 grand more than we do will just help them even more on the trail.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They know how to "Cook the books" that's how! Also...them being able to give recruits 2 grand more than we do will just help them even more on the trail.

Absolutely it does and it's BS. I hope the NCAA steps in on this; they need to set a flat rate/maximum. And honestly, when you combine the Pell Grant money that most of these kids are getting that comes out to around $12,000/year when both are combined....plus there are other grants that "poor" kids can get on top of the Pell Grant!

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

F$U math skills at work there. It's probably all paid in singles.....makes for easier counting (has nothing to do with strippers). :nole:

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Well, we know we're not (hopefully) competing for recruits w/ Cincinatti and La-Monroe. But for a kid choosing between FSU and Florida that's more than $10,500 over 5 years. That kind of money matters to a kid from the hood and could easily sway his decision - especially when FSU has a 4 game winning streak vs. us and a more recent NC.

Three game win streak.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The military calculates housing rates based off of where you are stationed and what your rank is. They have a calculator that is easy to punch in zip code & rank. This is an easy way to calculate what housing costs are in a certain area (which translates to cost of living in a certain area). For example, I'm stationed in Washington DC - so my housing allowance is way more than when I was stationed in Florida.

The post-911 GI Bill is a good way to see what a veteran college student gets in housing money. The VA uses "E5 w/ dependants" for students getting the Post-911 GI Bill.

BAH = "Basic Allowance for Housing"

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/bahCalc.cfm

For Gainesville (UF's zip code: 32611) that student would get: $1,269/month

For Tallahassee (FSU's zip code: 32306) = $1,260

For Tennessee (UT's zip code:37996) = $1,215

Of those 3 cities, Gainesville is $9/month the highest.

I'd love to see how these schools are calculating their COA.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Three game win streak.

Whatever. It's 5 of 6 also. Jimbo is 5-1 since he took over....and most of those have been blowouts. The point is; combined w/ them kicking our ass and getting an extra $2000+/year it definitely helps in their recruting. Hell, they've been outrecruting us since before the stipend was implemented!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Even worse than that, we should have a two game win streak.
Im curious, how did we arrive at our two game moral victory streak?

I think I watched those games and saw us get our teeth kicked in and thoroughly embarrassed. Maybe I was watching the wrong channel.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever. It's 5 of 6 also. Jimbo is 5-1 since he took over....and most of those have been blowouts. The point is; combined w/ them kicking our ass and getting an extra $2000+/year it definitely helps in their recruting. Hell, they've been outrecruting us since before the stipend was implemented!

Well, at least the FAMU coeds are not such a factor any longer since the players switched to white meat.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

This X 1000...they've been kicking our ass on and off the field for a while now. Stipend or not.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Im curious, how did we arrive at our two game moral victory streak?

I think I watched those games and saw us get our teeth kicked in and thoroughly embarrassed. Maybe I was watching the wrong channel.

I don't classify them as wins. I'm saying that we should have won those games. It's embarrassing that we lost those two games because our offense was so anemic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.