crosscreekcooter passes to the other side - RIP my friend

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I've held off commenting on Chuck's death in hopes that it might not be the Charles Bussard I knew as a boy and as a young man in Jacksonville. Sadly, Cross Creek was indeed my old pal Chuck, and I didn't even know it. We lost touch after I left Jax for greener pastures over 50 years ago. But, he always held a lofty spot on my list of truly unforgettable friends. He had a big heart and a great zest for life and many people loved him - especially the girls. Before he got serious about his eventual wife, Ole Chucky was quite the ladies man. RIP old friend. I'll see you on the other side.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I've held off commenting on Chuck's death in hopes that it might not be the Charles Bussard I knew as a boy and as a young man in Jacksonville. Sadly, Cross Creek was indeed my old pal Chuck, and I didn't even know it. We lost touch after I left Jax for greener pastures over 50 years ago. But, he always held a lofty spot on my list of truly unforgettable friends. He had a big heart and a great zest for life and many people loved him - especially the girls. Before he got serious about his eventual wife, Ole Chucky was quite the ladies man. RIP old friend. I'll see you on the other side.

need some stories- :grin:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
wow

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Spill some beans, Lizard! He already told us about cutting the rug down at the jug.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lizard, I'm sorry you lost your childhood friend. Did you know any of his family? I don't see a funeral service or an obit anywhere. I've left messages on his phone, but haven't heard anything. I'd hate it if Chuck didn't get a proper send-off.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lizard, I'm sorry you lost your childhood friend. Did you know any of his family? I don't see a funeral service or an obit anywhere. I've left messages on his phone, but haven't heard anything. I'd hate it if Chuck didn't get a proper send-off.

He won’t answer. Detroit has the exclusive.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We should all post on his tribute wall.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
need some stories- :grin:
I will try to post a couple of "discrete" accounts of those times, after taking a moment to process my feelings a bit and to consider the ramifications such stories might have for his wife and children. But briefly, we first met in 1962 and were close friends until time and distance stepped in and we eventually lost touch in the late seventies. Looking back, I believe that I actually knew his future wife before he did. We shared an art class in my sophomore year of HS and we were good friends from the start. She was a very fine young woman and Chuck was lucky to have her.

In answer to another poster; I knew his mom and his sister, as well one of his brothers, and many new friends and acquaintances I met through him. Chuck was just a person that others were drawn to by his kindness, composure and crackling sense of humor. I haven't seen Chuck or his family for decades, but they'll have a place in my heart forever. This hurts more than I thought it would.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In answer to another poster; I knew his mom and his sister, as well one of his brothers, and many new friends and acquaintances I met through him. Chuck was just a person that others were drawn to by his kindness, composure and crackling sense of humor. I haven't seen Chuck or his family for decades, but they'll have a place in my heart forever. This hurts more than I thought it would.

@lizardbreath I'm asking about friends and family of his because many of us would like to pay our respects, either by attending his funeral or with cards and flowers. Do you think you could try to get in touch with someone who might know what the arrangements are? Thanks.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Nice, always liked that.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@lizardbreath I'm asking about friends and family of his because many of us would like to pay our respects, either by attending his funeral or with cards and flowers. Do you think you could try to get in touch with someone who might know what the arrangements are? Thanks.

When you call the funeral home, what do they say?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I did some detective work and it would seem that there are no formal arrangements, but I left a message at the funeral home and hopefully they'll get back to me later today. His (former?) wife and two grown children are currently listed as residing in the Atlanta Metro area. Due to the possibility of an estrangement, I'm going to respect their privacy and refrain from trying to contact them directly. Chuck does have a surviving sister living in Callahan, whom I will try to contact this evening.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I did some detective work and it would seem that there are no formal arrangements, but I left a message at the funeral home and hopefully they'll get back to me later today. His (former?) wife and two grown children are currently listed as residing in the Atlanta Metro area. Due to the possibility of an estrangement, I'm going to respect their privacy and refrain from trying to contact them directly. Chuck does have a surviving sister living in Callahan, whom I will try to contact this evening.
This is exactly why I'm not going to continue to follow up any longer. My last texts, voicemails, and email were directed directly at survivors, not Chuck, asking if they needed anything and that we were all thinking about them. I have received no response and they have my contact info.

And Lizard, sorry for your loss. While we all felt "close," obviously your connections were much deeper.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
This is exactly why I'm not going to continue to follow up any longer. My last texts, voicemails, and email were directed directly at survivors, not Chuck, asking if they needed anything and that we were all thinking about them. I have received no response and they have my contact info.

And Lizard, sorry for your loss. While we all felt "close," obviously your connections were much deeper.
Thank you. I really appreciate the thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.