D1 - Playoff System...

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
True, and that’s the downside of a 4 team playoff. Even so, they’ll have to run the table, which makes every one of their remaining games must wins. Not the case with a 16 team playoff.
Agreed, not the case with a 16 team playoff, but it sure as hell keeps the regular season meaningful with an 8 team playoff.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Agreed, not the case with a 16 team playoff, but it sure as hell keeps the regular season meaningful with an 8 team playoff.
Not as much. An 8 team playoff definitely brings two loss teams into the mix.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
this is exactly what we don't want.

no one gives a **** about basketball until the tournament. why should you care? It's all exhibition games.
Never said it's what I wanted. I just don't see it stopping now that they got the taste of the money involved. It's inevitable that it continues to expand.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not as much. An 8 team playoff definitely brings two loss teams into the mix.
Sure it does but it’s not less important. If the criteria is set that only conference champions get in and a couple at-large, you’re rarely going to see 2 loss teams. If they do have 2 losses, they be bigger losses like beige marquis games.

What you’re saying is they can have 1 loss but not 2 losses? However, if they have ZERO losses and run the table, then they probably play in a lower conference and really shouldn’t be there?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
8 teams with 6 conference champs and two wild. You saying Top 8 is too much?

It shuts teams like UCF up

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You'll end up with some crappy 3 loss team some years. No thanks.
1. Congrats, you finally figured out the essence of sports, which is that the "better" team doesn't always win. Otherwise we'd just give Bama the trophy right now and skip the season.

2. Despite the previous point, show me exactly how you think that would happen (crappy 3 loss team winning the championship) under my proposal.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Sure it does but it’s not less important. If the criteria is set that only conference champions get in and a couple at-large, you’re rarely going to see 2 loss teams. If they do have 2 losses, they be bigger losses like beige marquis games.

What you’re saying is they can have 1 loss but not 2 losses? However, if they have ZERO losses and run the table, then they probably play in a lower conference and really shouldn’t be there?

And get rid of all the 1AA Games.

Home games with good D1 games.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If there is one thing that does more to make the regular season meaningless than any other idea, its putting wild cards in the playoff.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016

I don’t like the current 4 team playoff because it brings one loss teams into the mix. I much preferred the BCS, but that’s history now. I’d favor a conference champion only model if it needs to expand any further. I’m not a fan of any at large bids. If you don’t win your conference you shouldn’t get in.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
8 teams, 5 Conf champs, 1 highest ranked group of 5 team (yeah, they wouldn't deserve the slot most years but you have to toss them a bone, so get over it), and 2 at large. Nuff said.

That’s what I’ve wanted, too. Others say you need 16 but I think 8 would do it.

Round 1 at the higher seeds’ home stadiums. Semifinals in the bowls as now, then NCG. Losers of round 1 can go to bowls too.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If there is one thing that does more to make the regular season meaningless than any other idea, its putting wild cards in the playoff.

Really? Like Bama this year.

And what about UCF?

Or OSU?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t like the current 4 team playoff because it brings one loss teams into the mix. I much preferred the BCS, but that’s history now. I’d favor a conference champion only model if it needs to expand any further. I’m not a fan of any at large bids. If you don’t win your conference you shouldn’t get in.
There’s over 16 D-1 conferences. That’s a bigger playoff format.

Are you thinking Power 5 only? What about Independent Norte Dame? What about UCF? Or Boise State in the past?

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Are you thinking Power 5 only? What about Independent Norte Dame? What about UCF? Or Boise State in the past?
Make 6 power eliminating the others - that's 80 -90+ teams.

Drop the others down.The reason I added 4 wild card so they have equal number of games. Bama got off easy.

Also First Round Games at Home and Wild card plays top teams.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016

Heck, I don’t know. If it was up to me, I’d go back to the BCS with a requirement that only conference champs are eligible. If I had to suggest an 8 team format, I’d say the Power 5 Champs plus the top 3 Champs from the group of 5. I’d let the group of 5 decide how they want to determine their 3. As far as Notre Dame goes, they’d have to join a conference if they want in.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
1. Congrats, you finally figured out the essence of sports, which is that the "better" team doesn't always win. Otherwise we'd just give Bama the trophy right now and skip the season.

2. Despite the previous point, show me exactly how you think that would happen (crappy 3 loss team winning the championship) under my proposal.

Ok. I'll concede the point but why only the top 4? I agree the best team doesn't always win. I doubt anyone would argue that point. But why only the top 4? I'm trying to think of a playoff that doesn't have wildcards? They do not suffer from including those teams. What's the argument to keep a Bama out and the other conference champ? Just go to 8 and have the wildcards. That's a true playoff.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Ok. I'll concede the point but why only the top 4? I agree the best team doesn't always win. I doubt anyone would argue that point. But why only the top 4? I'm trying to think of a playoff that doesn't have wildcards? They do not suffer from including those teams. What's the argument to keep a Bama out and the other conference champ? Just go to 8 and have the wildcards. That's a true playoff.
But wild cards need a game if they don't play in a conference game.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
That’s the crux of the argument. It’s not about the playoff, it’s about the regular season. The argument to keep Bama out is that they had a failed regular season and they had no one to blame but themselves. Wild cards are popularity contests. I’d prefer to limit it to just those teams that actually raised a trophy at the end of the season.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s the crux of the argument. It’s not about the playoff, it’s about the regular season. The argument to keep Bama out is that they had a failed regular season and they had no one to blame but themselves. Wild cards are popularity contests. I’d prefer to limit it to just those teams that actually raised a trophy at the end of the season.
To a degree. What happens when Florida is #1 and Bama #2 and both undefeated and play in the SECCG and Bama wins? Florida doesn’t deserve to go to the playoffs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator