Dan Mullen has built Florida into an offensive power, but not yet a complete program

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You didn't really answer the question. At no time was Bama in danger of losing that game on Saturday, we both know that.
I wonder what games some people were watching.

it was nice that bama took 1.5 quarters off though. Very kind of them.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I asked this question in the chat box and no one could even come up with an answer. What player do you expect to be our best defensive player next year? Give me a name.

Hell, who was our best defensive player THIS season?
Miller gets my vote for this this year’s defensive MVP. I’d base that on his progression from start to finish from a skill / reads standpoint. I’ve posted that his reads have been quicker and his angles to the ball have not been as shallow, resulting in fewer times getting sealed or caught up in the traffic at the ball and more tackles for short or no gains. Where he’s most weak at now is pass coverage, but I believe some of that lies in who Grantham asks him to try and consistently cover. This was addressed in the Read and Reaction article cited. Certainly he can improve, but asking him or any ILB to cover Najee Harris is simply foolish.

Before I further digress, I believe he was our most solid player this year and should have a great chance to be the best next year, though I’d like to think Brenton Cox has that ability if he can eliminate occasional bone-headed penalties and not have too many “rest” plays where he’s either recovering from a previous energy expenditure or the OT is just getting the better of him. When he’s focused and determined, he’s formidable.

Other guys I expect good things from are Diabate, Elam, and Davis, but I’m not sure any will be our best player. Elam is probably the most heralded of these three and has shown steady improvement; however, I’m not real crazy about some of his “look at me” posturing after making a routine play that has surfaced this season. As a whole, none of our secondary has done much consistently that should make them think that they should mug for the camera after any play.

All of the guys mentioned will be much better if by some miracle our D coaches can develop reliable depth and use it in a more efficient scheme.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I saw Elam get burnt to a crisp all season. I’m not sure where the hype on him is coming from.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Miller gets my vote for this this year’s defensive MVP. I’d base that on his progression from start to finish from a skill / reads standpoint. I’ve posted that his reads have been quicker and his angles to the ball have not been as shallow,

Yeah, sometimes being too slow isnt too slow if you react fast enough.

Last edited:

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
As a whole, none of our secondary has done much consistently that should make them think that they should mug for the camera after any play.

I haven’t gone back and reviewed the game, but I seem to remember that the defense as a whole doing a lot less posing in the 2nd half. I was wondering if someone actually had a coaching moment and told them t knock it off.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I haven’t gone back and reviewed the game, but I seem to remember that the defense as a whole doing a lot less posing in the 2nd half. I was wondering if someone actually had a coaching moment and told them t knock it off.
If they did, it was high time. Somewhere down the line football coaches bought into the idea that allowing players to show their asses at every opportunity was a way to allow them to express themselves, increase young / woke interest, and bring fun to a sport too constrained by old, irrelevant white patriarchs. It all started with players kneeling and “praying” a la our Catholic brethren after scoring a TD and has progressed to intricate dances and choreographed little theatre. A wee bit was amusing, but it’s gone far beyond. Throwing the cleat, spontaneous or not, was beyond ridiculous. The result was even worse.

I have wondered how guys, like Mullen for instance, bought into this carnival mentality? Did they all attend a clinic session featuring Uncle Luke or some of the 7-on-7 pimps about making football fun? Hell, fun is outplaying your opponents after constructing and implementing a well-researched plan that features out-executing them. Looking like a clown is standing over an opponent you dragged down five yards after contact with your mean mug on as if to say “don’t try that schit again!”

I know I’m :goon:, but dammit honor was a big part of the game that isn’t taught or required as it should be anymore and with that is a lost opportunity to cultivate honorable young people to a greater extent.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen has served his purpose. He stopped the downward spiral of suck, and has made UF respectable and relevant. Unfortunately, he doesn't have it in him to take the next step, which is champions. The fact that Grantham is still employed is enough evidence to prove my point, but there is plenty more, which the article does a good job pointing out. Like it or not, he'll be given 2-3 years at least to prove us all wrong. I hope he succeeds, but if he doesn't, I hope the new facility will be finished by then and that this will be an attractive job for the top coaches.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen has served his purpose. He stopped the downward spiral of suck, and has made UF respectable and relevant. Unfortunately, he doesn't have it in him to take the next step, which is champions.
Bingo. This is certainly my feeling.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Next year DM will have to be a superior HC to form a high-scoring offense with EJ + zero run game +poor OL blocking.
All that plus what's required to keep us from being outscored with having failing DBs + poor pass rush + poor run DL + poor tackling.
Will DM still solve that?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Next year DM will have to be a superior HC to form a high-scoring offense with EJ + zero run game +poor OL blocking.
except we do not have zero run game and poor ol blocking.

we had idiotic play calling which made us look like we have no run game.

they run block just fine when EJ is on the field.

you could take an All-Pro offensive line could not block well enough to make Trash option keep game look functional.

I know you're going to say that Delance looked terrible at times, and he did. but so did damn it Moe Collins and he started in the NFL for a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator