Dartmouth "College" basketball team joins a union

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It's Dartmouth. Your team sucks and you're a drain on the school monetarily. What's the point of joining a union?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
So you make good money even though you suck? Works for a lot of other union employees
These aren't autoworkers or nurses. They play basketball and make no money for the university. What's to stop the university from just getting fed up and eliminating the basketball program?

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
The last time Dartmouth had a winning season in basketball was the 96-97 season. Since they are now considered as employees, their performance review ought to make it easy for the school to eliminate that sport in order to minimize expenses.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unions have outlived their usefulness....

Pay should be merit based...

Dartmouth players should pay the school...

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dartmouth’s tuition is over $63k and total cost of attendance is over $87k. That’s their base pay. Now add full medical, tutoring, training/rehab, and, and and it’s quickly over $100k.

AND oh by the way, you’re getting an opportunity for Ivy League education & diploma, which billions of Asian kids are competing for a shot at.

AND oh by the way, Dartmouth sports DON’T MAKE ANY MONEY YOU INGRATE MENSA IDIOTS!

IMG_9212.jpeg

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dartmouth should immediately exit basketball.

Yes. Absolutely.

But I expect they’ll be wringing their hands over how to placate the whiners. Mustn’t let the poor babies be upset.

Edit/correction. The university is contesting this with the NLRB. Key points include that Dartmouth athletes’ decision to play basketball is part of their overall academic experience. They don’t give athletic scholarships.

My post #14 is rooted in my experience that Ivy League schools provide “need based” scholarships and easier admissions for athletes. It’s still rigorous, but say the median SAT is 1500, an athlete with 1350 can get in.

In any case, it’s ridiculous for them to unionize. They aren’t employees.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
So, do they now have to pay for their own schooling?

Serious question tied in to your comment. If the school cancels the players’ scholarships and makes them pay their own way, does that eliminate the exchange of services for compensation the NLRB rep referenced in his ruling, therefore eliminating their status as employees of Dartmouth, thus eliminating the union?

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
College athletics gets closer & closer to the abyss with each passing day and stupid shyt like this. It will be dead soon enough.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
I scanned other threads but didn't see this so... Clay Travis is on the side of making athletes "employees" with a collective bargaining agreement. smh...
I’m not for the idea of unionizing athletes in principle, however, considering the state of college sports, and where we are now, I am not entirely sure that there is a better solution out there. At least, if they unionized, they can collectively bargain, and therefore normalize the playing field across all athletics. I was making the point to an acquaintance the other day that at this point college sports is worse than any pro league. All professional sports are governed by an understood set of rules and generally understood calendar of circumstances as far as how long you can expect a certain player on your roster, and the ability to plan ahead for when players contract expires or when they will hit free agency. Currently the model inwhich college athletics finds itself mired is complete chaos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.