DBU's best DB

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Always thought Black was clutch, was always in the right place at the right time.

Not big, strong, or fast but always in position, never took a bad angle, and maybe the best form tackler I have ever seen.

At the time, many of us thought the hard hitting Major Wright should play SS and Ahmad Black would be better as a FS. We were concerned he might be overmatched by big backs in the running game.

Wrong.

Dude never missed a tackle.

All of our best defenses have had this in common--they were great tacklers. I'd love to see Ahmad coach these kids on proper tackling technique. Taking proper angles is often something you're born with. You either have the spatial awareness or you don't. Tackling, on the other hand, is a skill you can teach and learn.

Love Ahmad Black. His physical limitations keep him off the Mount Rushmore of Gator DBs but he deserves a mention in this thread.

Alex.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The best DBs are always the ones wearing Orange & Blue. Everybody knows that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fvkk i was totally trying to forget English was a thing
The answer is yes. I think English will be gone next year (Edit: MEANS I HOPE) and I suspect Gray will be given input on all the db play.

There isnt much doubt that opposing OCs (and everyone on this board) were the only ones who noticed our safety play sucked.

Last edited:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
The answer is yes. I think English will be gone next year, and I suspect Gray will be giving input on all the db play.

There isnt much doubt that opposing OCs (and everyone on this board) were the only ones who noticed our safety play sucked.
Georgia went right after it blatantly. That game is a lot closer if it wasn’t for English and warren playing the worst players on our team

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia went right after it blatantly. That game is a lot closer if it wasn’t for English and warren playing the worst players on our team
I just dont get it. Seniority is something but at some point you have to put the best players on the field. Frankly, people hardly noticed how much Shawn Davis was on the field bc he wasnt getting toasted regularly

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
When I was a kid and I was first getting really into Gator football and playing Pop Warner I wanted to be like Fred Weary, Teako Brown, Larry Kennedy or Shea Showers. Weary still has the record for INTs in a career for uf. 15 I think.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Nelson
Lito
Haden
L.Wright
Jenkins
M.Elam
Ratliff
M.Wright
VH3
Black
Oliver

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I saw him and Joe Cohen play for Palm Bay. Was ridiculous. Sent one of our guys to the hospital for peeing blood.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Y’all are missing the best DB...Quinton Dunbar. Such a good corner that Muschamp had him playing offense and he still has had a multi-year career in the NFL as a corner.

(Its a joke b/c everyone has listed anyone I could point out. Even the honorable mentions like Gus Scott, Todd Johnson, and Ryan Smith have been said. Maybe Apollo’s superstars Josh Evans and Will Hill? They were the precursor for the Stiner’s of today.)

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
When I was at UF in the mid 80’s they definitely had the DBU going. Jarvis Williams, Louis Oliver and a cat named Adrian White. Adrian went in 2nd round to the Giants. We went to high school together and were acquaintances. That was one badass, scary looking dude.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've had some greats , no doubt about it. I don't think any of them were more talented than Lito though.
Reggie would be my 1B. Some underrated guys that don't get enough pub in threads like this are Todd Johnson,
Bennie Alexander, Fred Weary and Teako. The worst I've watched play is a close toss up between Kyle Jackson
and Cory Bailey. Bailey started for years despite never making plays and constantly getting roasted. His ball skills
were ten times worse than 29 of today. If you can believe that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jackson and Bailey would be drastic upgrades over Stiner and Taylor. It isn't even close. Jackson just OCCASIONALLY blew coverages so bad that he couldn't stay on the tv screen with the receiver. Those two do it almost every play.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The two biggest disappointments for me were Will Hill and Kyle Jackson. Both of them are supposed to be superstars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator