DC Patrick Toney & the Defense

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I started a thread stating a fact that EJ's backup at ASU lead the team to a victory after he got hurt, and you claimed I was "laughing" at his injury. I guess I didn't realize that posting facts was sh!ttalking a player.
No, I wasn’t referring to your post itself but the ppl who laughed at EJ being hurt.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I've never understood this. Folks that act like they're above being critical of a coach making millions think think bashing the 18 year old player is taking the high road.
So you never once criticized Treon, Franks or Dean?

Gotta say, I don’t believe you. And I criticize many coaches we’ve had in the past. But again, 6 games in is kinda tough given what this staff walked into. Now if it’s the same a year from now, Ofcourse, kick em n the nuts

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Some of us thought we might see something different on defense his year compared to last year. We’re not. Agreed on the roster deficiencies, but the scheme is just plain bad.
Mizzou ran over 70 plays for 17 pts n only 370 total yards. Defense was on the field for what, 37 minutes? Had 13 tackles for loss, 4 sacks and 2 picks, 1 for a td.
Yeah, the 3rd n long conversations need to be cleaned up but you still gotta see that they did do better in many areas even with the offense ****ting the bed the entire first half.

I didn’t check but a friend told me they averaged more yards per play vs UGA than us. So most are letting a small handful of plays take away from a pretty good performance given the circumstances. Yes there’s still work to do n things to fix. But it’s not terrible

Last edited:

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Mizzou ran over 70 plays for 17 pts n only 370 total yards. Defense was on the field for what, 37 minutes? Had 13 tackles for loss, 4 sacks and 2 picks, 1 for a td.
Yeah, the 3rd n long conversations need to be cleaned up but you still gotta see that they did do better in many areas even with the offense ****ting the bed the entire first half.

I didn’t check but a friend told me they averaged more yards per play vs UGA than us. So most are letting a small handful of plays take away from a pretty good performance given the circumstances. Yes there’s still work to do n things to fix. But it’s not terrible

Yeah that’s fair.

Toney runs the 4-2-5 right? I expected more from the secondary, the zone coverage simply isn’t working. Any team with a decent QB does not worry about 3rd and long right now.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Yeah that’s fair.

Toney runs the 4-2-5 right? I expected more from the secondary, the zone coverage simply isn’t working. Any team with a decent QB does not worry about 3rd and long right now.
Yeah right now it’s tough in the back 5, we’re either old n terrible (cough Dean) or young n inexperienced.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The kicker situation is puzzling.

This is UF...Florida. The state is flush with kickers and soccer stars.

I'd have a kicking camp and make an offer. Start with the student body including on line.

Look for JUCO, FCS or transfers.

But I'd have kicker by 2023.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The kicker situation is puzzling.

This is UF...Florida. The state is flush with kickers and soccer stars.

I'd have a kicking camp and make an offer. Start with the student body including on line.

Look for JUCO, FCS or transfers.

But I'd have kicker by 2023.

Chris Howard transferred to Memphis and is 11 for 11 on the year. Our guy Mihalek is 5 for 9. Trey Smack was supposed to be this great kicker coming in that prompted Howard to transfer, but Smack couldn’t beat out 5 for 9, apparently. He does get to kick off sometimes.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
So based on your logic, Dean should start the remainder of the season because he’s 2nd in tackles on the defense?
Yet there’s an entire thread of Dean being benched n everyone here was all for it due to his terrible play. So spare me the crybaby **** you’re spewing now because ppl say a players not hacking it and want a change at the position because it’s beyond obvious that our Safety position with those 2 back there is the weakness of the defense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You need to just stop. Do you see how ridiculous your arguments are getting trying to defend the quality of players we currently have? Nobody is taking shots at their character or effort....THEY JUST AREN'T THAT GOOD!!!I've been trying to tell you this since last year. We are 10-10 since the Okie bowl game.....Our defense has literally taken it up the pooper in everyone of those games including the ones we won. That's a 20 game stretch or half of a players eligibility....How much more proof do you want? Stop pulling up 1 or 2 guys stats to try and prove your point....It's idiotic...we know there are a few guys who are decent but collectively we have a long way to go......and don't bother responding with all the moving goalpost excuses, just accept things for what they are.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
You need to just stop. Do you see how ridiculous your arguments are getting trying to defend the quality of players we currently have? Nobody is taking shots at their character or effort....THEY JUST AREN'T THAT GOOD!!!I've been trying to tell you this since last year. We are 10-10 since the Okie bowl game.....Our defense has literally taken it up the pooper in everyone of those games including the ones we won. That's a 20 game stretch or half of a players eligibility....How much more proof do you want? Stop pulling up 1 or 2 guys stats to try and prove your point....It's idiotic...we know there are a few guys who are decent but collectively we have a long way to go......and don't bother responding with all the moving goalpost excuses, just accept things for what they are.
Daddy Crete da da da da da! Daddy Crete!

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Kenan Thompson Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I actually think the argument could be made that both sides are right. The quality/depth on defense isn’t what it’s been in years past under Meyer, Muschamp, even Mac and Mullen(at least 2018) had good defenses, but the issue is that when Dean is starting at safety, and your second best(arguably) defensive tackle is a double Whopper short of 425 and he plays about 30 snaps a game, then there are serious deficiencies. So while ltraz is right that Toney does deserve some of the blame for his scheme, it’s also true that Mullen/Dwagtham didn’t exactly light the world on fire recruiting d line, safeties or linebackers. That kind of depth and experience doesn’t happen overnight. The biggest difference I can see outside of what’s obvious…takeaways, getting lined up correctly most of the time, better as far as penalties, is that Toney and Napier are willing to both play and start underclassmen, something the last staff just absolutely refused to do. Stiner comes to mind. James, Wilson, Moore, Kimber, Watson, Scooby, McClellan all getting snaps now will pay dividends later this season and into next season.

Is PT the second coming of Monte Kiffin? Who knows. Time will tell. I’m encouraged by the above mentioned things but discouraged by the third and long conversions and playing so far off the receivers. I just know we look more competent the majority of the time.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I actually think the argument could be made that both sides are right. The quality/depth on defense isn’t what it’s been in years past under Meyer, Muschamp, even Mac and Mullen(at least 2018) had good defenses, but the issue is that when Dean is starting at safety, and your second best(arguably) defensive tackle is a double Whopper short of 425 and he plays about 30 snaps a game, then there are serious deficiencies. So while ltraz is right that Toney does deserve some of the blame for his scheme, it’s also true that Mullen/Dwagtham didn’t exactly light the world on fire recruiting d line, safeties or linebackers. That kind of depth and experience doesn’t happen overnight. The biggest difference I can see outside of what’s obvious…takeaways, getting lined up correctly most of the time, better as far as penalties, is that Toney and Napier are willing to both play and start underclassmen, something the last staff just absolutely refused to do. Stiner comes to mind. James, Wilson, Moore, Kimber, Watson, Scooby, McClellan all getting snaps now will pay dividends later this season and into next season.

Is PT the second coming of Monte Kiffin? Who knows. Time will tell. I’m encouraged by the above mentioned things but discouraged by the third and long conversions and playing so far off the receivers. I just know we look more competent the majority of the time.
I agree there is a learning curve between the players and coach and vise versa which might be accounting(this year)for some of the bad plays. But the bad tackling, slowness getting to the outside and in some cases inability to cover can't be hidden. We have a few good players but quality across the board just isn't there. Maybe the young guys getting reps will pick up the responsibilities that the same older players miss time after time and we'll fill the gaps over the next season or 2 which is what I believe will happen.....but with Itraz he literally thinks these guys are all top tier SEC talent....they're not and may not even be as good as UCF and some lower tier SEC teams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator