Gator Basketball Deep dive into our basketball team’s struggles

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As a result, he’s earned criticism, with much of the noise about the system legitimate. White’s seat isn’t hot yet, but it is warming, and all bets are off if this team goes in the tank. This Florida program is too good — with great facilities, big-time basketball only boosters, and a rich tradition — to wait and descend to mediocrity.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
White’s teams are just boring to watch. He’s the Muschamp of basketball. Slow plodding tempo. No offense. All defense. Recruits well.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Back to the personnel excuse? From Pre-Season #6 was all based on the personnel and White is killing the program.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
White coaches via "chronic fatigue syndrome."
He lacks the spiritual energy to put into practices or into games when we see his energy at its peak.??
Once Donovan got his long-needed "bigs", UF won 2 NCs. But "bigs" are a waste with White; his BBall IQ voids them. It appears like he resents having to scheme at taking advantage with them. And taking advantage using "bigs" is essential to developing a high-winning team.

Could it be that White's like the player that's that "mystery cancer" to the team and when he's gone the team can catch fire? Regardless of us critics not being able to spot White's flaw, these Gators play in the way of a coachless pickup team. White's causing this Gator fan chronic fatigue.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
White’s teams are just boring to watch. He’s the Muschamp of basketball. Slow plodding tempo. No offense. All defense. Recruits well.

I used the Muschamp analogy during the fsu game...it finally hit me who he is.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This observation is reasonable because opposing players score this way on our good defense every game. They accurately "kiss" their shot off the backboard. Does White have any notion towards having players practice backboard skills? By that some players might up there scoring averages. So many of our shots look like they're taken with all teammates surprised, i.e. no gator near the basket = no putback, no O rebound, no kickback, like the shot is unexpected. Stuff you practice should not be unexpected. Almost everything about White's ream looks unexpected.
The foremost purpose of whipping the ball around the perimeter is to have a "big" break open underneath?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What's so weird is that his teams played fast at latech and we were playing fast a few years ago. We've got a crazy athletic team. Why are we statistically the slowest team in basketball?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah "t", you know the youngstars we have would love a fast-sprint game. Bet that's a style that they would show development and improvement rapidly. Still, our style should not be an emergency style we panic into; we do have a multi-million dollar HC$.??
K.Johnson + Blackshear is a 2-man solid starting point. Nembhard doesn't even display his "last-year's form" effectiveness as our floor director?? As soon as Locke practices 3s & hits, he'll be the next component. Then, I'm really impressed with Payne's agility and ready to play desire. Give him more game experience, he'll score more, he'll block shots Keep watch on Jitiboh. A good coach would develop Jitiboh into an underneath force, possibly by mid-season.??

But, all is wasted (for 4 games so far), if there's no competent & intense head coach designing, teaching run-throughs, yelling, criticizing, complimenting, etc everything. These young guys (Frs & Sophs) are awaiting a forceful coach-leader.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swonkster doin work all hours of the night I see. He is big time no doubt 1000% :law:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What's so weird is that his teams played fast at latech and we were playing fast a few years ago. We've got a crazy athletic team. Why are we statistically the slowest team in basketball?

And pace of play was one of the primary attributes mentioned when he was hired. I recall Fooley saying something to the effect “He plays the uptempo style that today’s player s love to play.”

I am actually glad that the problem has finally been diagnosed beyond we gidiots. I am waiting for the slurpers like Dooley to write a column criticizing us for complaining but even a company man like him can’t defend what he sees

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
If we ran pace we might get points in the paint. That is not allowed! Bring back the DDD!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah "t", you know the youngstars we have would love a fast-sprint game. Bet that's a style that they would show development and improvement rapidly. Still, our style should not be an emergency style we panic into; we do have a multi-million dollar HC$.??
K.Johnson + Blackshear is a 2-man solid starting point. Nembhard doesn't even display his "last-year's form" effectiveness as our floor director?? As soon as Locke practices 3s & hits, he'll be the next component. Then, I'm really impressed with Payne's agility and ready to play desire. Give him more game experience, he'll score more, he'll block shots Keep watch on Jitiboh. A good coach would develop Jitiboh into an underneath force, possibly by mid-season.??

But, all is wasted (for 4 games so far), if there's no competent & intense head coach designing, teaching run-throughs, yelling, criticizing, complimenting, etc everything. These young guys (Frs & Sophs) are awaiting a forceful coach-leader.

You have touched on the other issue hindering this team and that is the passive style of coach White
I assume everyone is tired of my ranting about our athletic director coach sitting on his hands while his team is getting mugged on the court but I truly believe that a coach MUST fight for his team or suffer the consequences.
Moreover this passive approach has created a complacent environment that manifests itself in a sloppy, sluggish team with no heart and no desire.
This weekend is a perfect opportunity for White to step up and start actually coaching his team and “managing the game “ which is a nice way of saying he needs to get on his team’s a$$es and incompetent officials a$$es and start acting like a passionate coach instead of a stoic AD.
But I am probably dreaming

sminings

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
White needs to speed up the pace of play to take advantage of his players athleticism. With a deep and talented roster we should be applying full court pressure on the defensive side and then on missed shots they need to stop slowing down the game with a non existent half court offense. It's maddening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator