Defense - Game by UMass' Drives

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was interesting that Mac said that of the 182 yards of Total Offense UMass had, 107 came on three plays. He's right. If you want to see more evidence of a nice game defensively, with the exception of 3 lapses and 3 big penalties, here's their drives play-by-play.

2016-09-03_UMass_vs_UF_Football_-_UMass_Drives.jpg

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And two of those big plays were throws at one of our young non-starter DBs that shouldn't even have been on the field, except our dumb@ss Elite DB wanted to get into a fight with a teammate (twice!).

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
It was an odd game all the way around. The fact that we didn't get any turnovers also led to the seemingly lackluster feel of the game.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The defense did show up this game. That RB of theirs had some decent games against some good competition last season and the defense shut him down entirely and never allowed him to get free into open space.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The defense did show up this game. That RB of theirs had some decent games against some good competition last season and the defense shut him down entirely and never allowed him to get free into open space.
Anytime you are a pathetic team losing by 50, the defense will give you a running space and just blanket deep with 3 high or quarters.

It sure as hell doesn't mean you are good.

We aren't very good at DT/NT right now.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Odd, I don't recall hearing Brantley or Jefferson's name called much if at all. It's games like that which make me wonder about motivation of these players by their coaches. I'm not complaining mind you, I just expect our marquee players to make a highlight reel out of teams like UMass......in the 1st half.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Odd, I don't recall hearing Brantley or Jefferson's name called much if at all. It's games like that which make me wonder about motivation of these players by their coaches. I'm not complaining mind you, I just expect our marquee players to make a highlight reel out of teams like UMass......in the 1st half.
CeCe never played in the first half. I watched him stand on the sideline the whole time. He played sparingly in the second half.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure we can even risk having them on the field at this point.

We only have 2 real DTs and one emergency guy (CeCe who is 50 lbs too light to be a real DT).

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
When you're offense is awful 3 plays can cost us the game against anybody we play

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015

I mentioned this on another thread where CeCe's absence was noted. Mac said at the presser that Khairi Clark played really well as a space eater nose tackle type even though he only had one tackle. I checked other write ups and it turns out he's playing at 315 lbs right now. He's the biggest dude on the whole DL! Ivie bulked up to 301, but this cat actually had to lose weight and come down from 330. Well, well, well. This falls more in line with what Law has been saying about needing a real roadblock NT type in there. This RS Sophomore is coming around just like Zuniga and is likely the reason CeCe did not see the field much at DT. My guess is we'll see more of Jefferson in order to generate pass rush vs UK.

Still, it is good to know we have three guys playing the interior in the 300 and above range, not just two.

Mac called Clark the player of the game on the interior of the DL.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Classic rubber band defense. Bend but don't break. You got to love that about Collins. We'll see it again in a few days.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I mentioned this on another thread where CeCe's absence was noted. Mac said at the presser that Khairi Clark played really well as a space eater nose tackle type even though he only had one tackle. I checked other write ups and it turns out he's playing at 315 lbs right now. He's the biggest dude on the whole DL! Ivie bulked up to 301, but this cat actually had to lose weight and come down from 330. Well, well, well. This falls more in line with what Law has been saying about needing a real roadblock NT type in there. This RS Sophomore is coming around just like Zuniga and is likely the reason CeCe did not see the field much at DT. My guess is we'll see more of Jefferson in order to generate pass rush vs UK.

Still, it is good to know we have three guys playing the interior in the 300 and above range, not just two.

Mac called Clark the player of the game on the interior of the DL.
Good to see him on the field a little more often. Clark reminds me a lot of Omar Hunter in that he is developing very slowly...seems like he's been here for 5 years already. If he can play like Hunter did in his last 2 years I'll be happy with that. Not really expecting a dominant player in other words but at least stack the middle of the line allowing our LB's to play run then use a delay blitz like AA did the other night.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Classic rubber band defense. Bend but don't break. You got to love that about Collins. We'll see it again in a few days.
No I dont love it at all. It flips the field and makes it hard on our offense. Its also flatout stupid to give them the first 40-60 yards and not start playing defense until the redzone.

Very Zookesque. I hate them all.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No I dont love it at all. It flips the field and makes it hard on our offense. Its also flatout stupid to give them the first 40-60 yards and not start playing defense until the redzone.

Very Zookesque. I hate them all.

What are your thoughts on Anzalone? I thought he looked great out there, and can be a step up from Morrison
as a 3 down backer. Crossing my fingers for him.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Good to see him on the field a little more often. Clark reminds me a lot of Omar Hunter in that he is developing very slowly...seems like he's been here for 5 years already. If he can play like Hunter did in his last 2 years I'll be happy with that. Not really expecting a dominant player in other words but at least stack the middle of the line allowing our LB's to play run then use a delay blitz like AA did the other night.

Redshirt Soph so third year in the program.

AA and Davis can definitely thrive with a guy like that in there eating space. He is likely the reason we saw so many good plays from AA.

The staff hasn't forgotten about CeCe, but for now I think Jefferson will be a situational player - he's now an underweight sophomore. He said himself that he now has to rebuild his mass in the Bullard mold after shedding the baby fat, but that won't really bear fruit until next season.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We are too light in the a$$ at DT, have been for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator