Defense - Game by UMass' Drives

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I thought the LBs played very well outside of Davis' stupid penalties.

The defense played well overall and young guys are going to get beat. We had 4 sacks which isn't horrible, but isn't great.

The thing that really surprised me watching the game was that we didn't force any turnovers. We forced a ton last year, but I think UMASS was very careful with the ball.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Redshirt Soph so third year in the program.
Yeah, thats about normal. In fact you are in pretty poor for shape if you have DTs and OL on the field before their third year. 18yoas playing against 22 yoas isnt a good idea.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, thats about normal. In fact you are in pretty poor for shape if you have DTs and OL on the field before their third year. 18yoas playing against 22 yoas isnt a good idea.

It's how bad our recruiting off big boys has been for 6 years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You know I agree with that 90% of the time but with our slow plodding offense we'll probably not benefit from blowout time participation by the younger players at least this year.....Not sure if you saw Houston's freshmen NT against OU, he looked ready, but he was also a 5 star recruit.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You know I agree with that 90% of the time but with our slow plodding offense we'll probably not benefit from blowout time participation by the younger players at least this year.....Not sure if you saw Houston's freshmen NT against OU, he looked ready, but he was also a 5 star recruit.

Crete, I think that Houston NT was more the exception than the rule.... also have to remember it's in the Big12 Southwest conference where defense isn't the name of the game usually.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete, I think that Houston NT was more the exception than the rule.... also have to remember it's in the Big12 Southwest conference where defense isn't the name of the game usually.
That's why I said I agree 90% of the time. There are a few exceptions and even fewer when it comes to playing in the SEC where physical run stoppers/space eaters are at a premium. Ideally it would be nice to redshirt every interior defensive linemen BUT sometimes the 5 star studs wanna play right out of the box. If we ever get another one of those type guys it would be nice to let them cut their teeth in a "preseason" blow out or two before conference play begins and they spell the starters for a few reps here and there...or worse yet replace them due to injury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator