Del Rio attends QB camp in California

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Good write up on Del Rio. He attended a QB camp called Summit: QB Journey last week (link: http://qbsummit.com/#home ). One of the camp trainers evaluated his performance:

https://florida.n.rivals.com/news/summit-quarterback-coach-evaluates-del-rio-after-weekend-at-camp

Quarterback trainer evaluates Del Rio after weekend at camp

During the week off from school before Summer A classes began at UF at the start of this week, Gators quarterback Luke Del Rio made his way out to California - the home state of his father, Jack, who serves as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders.

However, Del Rio certainly made good use of his time in the Golden State this past week.

He was one of a handful of college quarterbacks to participate at the Summit’s first camp in Orange County, Ca., last Saturday and Sunday with accomplished quarterback developers Jordan Palmer and Quincy Avery. Throughout the weekend, Del Rio trained alongside Clemson’s Deshaun Watson, Tennessee’s Joshua Dobbs, Baylor’s Jarrett Stidham, Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes and Arizona State’s Brady White as each aimed to hone their craft.

"Everybody's going to take a little piece from somebody else's game for what they want to improve," explained Avery. "That's what's so cool about it. You get a gathering of some of the best quarterbacks in the country. Everybody has something that they do to allow them to be who they are. You want them to grab a little piece of that for every other guy, whatever that thing is. We got to hang out, have some camaraderie and enjoy each other's company and watch some film and play some ball."

After all six college quarterbacks went through their first day of instruction at the Summit, they served as counselors for the high schoolers in attendance the next day, according to Avery.

"That just increased their understanding of the information," Avery said. "If you can teach something, they really, really know it. We think that's a very important part of the Summit."

As far as what Avery saw from the 6-foot-1, 213-pound Del Rio, who currently stands as the favorite to win UF's starting quarterback job heading into the fall, he came away impressed with what the Gators signal-caller brings to the table.

"I think Luke came in with a very specific goal that he wanted to improve on - kind of keep that between us, but he came in with a very specific goal for the things that he wanted to improve on as well as things that the coaching staff at Florida wanted him to improve on," said Avery, who has been familiar with Del Rio since his high school days but trained with him this past weekend for the first time.

"I think he developed a good bit as a passer and his ability to perform this upcoming season at UF. I was really impressed. His body has changed, for one. I know Luke since he was in high school and he's made a few other stops, but it looks like he has put in the dedication to being where he's supposed to be at the University of Florida. His ability to make throws is right up there with any of the other college guys, so you know he has the capacity to do that. Just was really impressed as a whole with who he is and who he's developed into and the things that he's capable this upcoming fall."

As far as Del Rio's greatest strengths as a quarterback after evaluating him closely, Avery pointed to Del Rio's knowledge of UF's offensive schemes and his ability to read opposing defenses.

"I think that's going to put him in a situation where he can be really, really successful," explained Avery. "The understanding, it was next level kinds of things where he knew the detail, when he would explain what would be happening at Florida this year between the protections to being able to get in and out of things as far as checks. His understanding of the playbook is going to help him more than anything, but I think he developed the most this week in terms of being able to throw with touch. That's something that he did, and I think he got a lot better at that."

Avery pointed to consistency as one area where Del Rio still has room to grow.

"He just needs consistency with his footwork. If he can do that, he takes some time to hone in on that this upcoming summer, I think he can have a really special year in the SEC," Avery said. "He continues to develop. I think he does a lot of things really, really well. The things that he has to fix are really small issues - it's kind of nitpicking in terms of fundamentals. He has fix, maybe bring in his base a little bit - being consistent with his base at all times."

A few intangibles about Del Rio that stood out to Avery this past weekend, though, were the Gators quarterback's confidence and willingness to gather new information.

"Undoubtedly, he's got a ton of confidence, and he's earned that confidence," Avery said. "Not only does he have confidence, but his ability to take in information. I think a lot of times when you're the son of a football coach, you get a lot of information at a young age and you start to think you're maybe above other people providing you things. But Luke isn't like that at all. He's always seeking more knowledge. I think that's unique coming from his background."

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I like it. Maybe he'll be the first 3000 yard passer we've had since Tebow

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious to see what that guy said about Dobbs, if he spoke to anyone about Dobbs that is. Dobbs wasn't a great passer last year, so it would be interesting to see how much he's actually improved.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I get the feeling Del Rio will be the second best QB in the SEC (Kelly being 1st) by years end. I never have nor will I ever be sold on Dobbs. It is a shame he chose UT to play quarterback. He could have been a top draft pick had he gone someplace with an actual coach.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
his ability to read opposing defenses

I like this one a lot. Hopefully Mac gives him the ability to makes call on the fly. Del Rio may not have a big arm, but with his smarts he could be carving up defenses and placing the ball where only receivers can catch it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I like it. Maybe he'll be the first 3000 yard passer we've had since Tebow

It's been 9 years since we have had a 3000 yard passer.. that is ridiculous. And only 4 3,000 yard passers since 2000... Grossman (2), Leak (1), and Tebow (1).

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious to see what that guy said about Dobbs, if he spoke to anyone about Dobbs that is. Dobbs wasn't a great passer last year, so it would be interesting to see how much he's actually improved.

Dobbs? Really? That guy couldn't hit a broadside of the barn no matter what kind of coaching he had...

Kurt Warner wanna-be with the two lame ass gloves...plus the guy looks like ****ing Veldar Conehead...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like we are really overstating Luke Del Rio. This guy was only a walk on QB coming out of high school. 687th overall. Yeah, yeah...another diamond in the rough. Got it.

(insert several examples of walk ons going pro here)

Third school is a charm.

PS I am going to hear about how Oregon St went to a running offense, right? Wouldn't the incoming coach KNOW he had a stud QB and tailor an offense around him?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's been 9 years since we have had a 3000 yard passer.. that is ridiculous. And only 4 3,000 yard passers since 2000... Grossman (2), Leak (1), and Tebow (1).
To be far, Leak didn't get 3,000 yards his freshman season because he didn't play the first half and his last two years were ruined by a retarded OC who wanted him to run the option.

LDR was one throw from PERFECT. And everyone said he was the best QB in camp LAST year. Yeah, we know. LDR transferred away from Retard Half-Kiff and from Oreygone State when they hired an option OC.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I feel like we are really overstating Luke Del Rio. This guy was only a walk on QB coming out of high school. 687th overall. Yeah, yeah...another diamond in the rough. Got it.

Third school is a charm.

PS I am going to hear about how Oregon St went to a running offense, right? Wouldn't the incoming coach KNOW he had a stud QB and tailor an offense around him?

Here to provide the doom and gloom per usual. Right on time!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dobbs? Really? That guy couldn't hit a broadside of the barn no matter what kind of coaching he had...

Kurt Warner wanna-be with the two lame ass gloves...plus the guy looks like ****ing Veldar Conehead...
I never said or implied Dobbs is good passer. UT fans think he's great, so I'd be interested to see the opinion of a neutral coach that worked with him to see if he'd confirm or debunk all tho vol love that Dobbs gets.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm expecting good things from Del Rio. He's a 4th year player and seems to have McElwain's trust. Worst case, he's SIGNIFICANTLY better than what we fielded last year (including Grier).

I never said or implied Dobbs is good passer. UT fans think he's great, so I'd be interested to see the opinion of a neutral coach that worked with him to see if he'd confirm or debunk all tho vol love that Dobbs gets.

I agree, I'd like to hear that. Dobbs is by no means a "great" QB, but he's a very experienced SEC QB w/ a lot of starts and a lot wins under his belt. He had a pretty solid game against our very good D last year (enough to win the game, no thanks to his coach). I'm not expecting him to be an All-American this year, but I'm not writing him off as a QB that we can just discount as a "bad" QB or that he'll roll over for us in Knoxville. Hell, LSU's QB had the game of his life vs. our secondary last year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, criticizing a kid who just paid you for a camp isn't a great way to earn future business, is it?

Everyone knows what Dobbs is, and everyone knows our safeties will make him look better than he is in the first three quarters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
On gatorsports, he goes by "Lawrence."
Sorry but that "fresh uniform" thread from "Lawrence" gave away his true identity.

TRex has been Trex for a long time. I forget what his other name was for a while on GSMB after TRex got permabanned.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Sorry but that "fresh uniform" thread from "Lawrence" gave away his true identity.

TRex has been Trex for a long time. I forget what his other name was for a while on GSMB after TRex got permabanned.

There was a smidgen of sarcasm in my comment.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Third school is a charm.

A QB coach gives positive reviews for LDR, so of course we're hanging on every word of optimism. Agree it might be excessive hype... However, I'm looking for smart, solid play, not heisman level stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.