Del Rio attends QB camp in California

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The Spring Game did what it was supposed to do, quell fears that we have another Treon. But we don't know what the defense was truly allowed to run, and it was against guys who we hope don't see a lot of time on the field in the Fall. The game, especially the beginning of the game was scripted much like it was in 2010 for Brantley. Once we have to start game planning against a team that is out to actually stop our offense I'll feel a bit better.

Not to say the kid didn't look great, he did. But much like Grier last year, he would have had to fallen on his face to look bad. He was better than expected it's hard to complete that percentage of passes in stride against air, much less a defense that is kinda of there. The question because like Crete says, in week 6-7 when teams have film on him, what is going to be his reaction.

I agree that the Spring Game was setup for him to succeed, but after watching a QB who couldn't hit 10/11 if there were no defenders it definitely gave me hope. The reality was he did everything he could have done to be great in the Spring Game. He showed accuracy and an understanding of where the open guy is. Hopefully that translates.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Good write up on Del Rio. He attended a QB camp called Summit: QB Journey last week (link: http://qbsummit.com/#home ). One of the camp trainers evaluated his performance:

https://florida.n.rivals.com/news/summit-quarterback-coach-evaluates-del-rio-after-weekend-at-camp

Quarterback trainer evaluates Del Rio after weekend at camp

During the week off from school before Summer A classes began at UF at the start of this week, Gators quarterback Luke Del Rio made his way out to California - the home state of his father, Jack, who serves as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders.

However, Del Rio certainly made good use of his time in the Golden State this past week.

He was one of a handful of college quarterbacks to participate at the Summit’s first camp in Orange County, Ca., last Saturday and Sunday with accomplished quarterback developers Jordan Palmer and Quincy Avery. Throughout the weekend, Del Rio trained alongside Clemson’s Deshaun Watson, Tennessee’s Joshua Dobbs, Baylor’s Jarrett Stidham, Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes and Arizona State’s Brady White as each aimed to hone their craft.

"Everybody's going to take a little piece from somebody else's game for what they want to improve," explained Avery. "That's what's so cool about it. You get a gathering of some of the best quarterbacks in the country. Everybody has something that they do to allow them to be who they are. You want them to grab a little piece of that for every other guy, whatever that thing is. We got to hang out, have some camaraderie and enjoy each other's company and watch some film and play some ball."

After all six college quarterbacks went through their first day of instruction at the Summit, they served as counselors for the high schoolers in attendance the next day, according to Avery.

"That just increased their understanding of the information," Avery said. "If you can teach something, they really, really know it. We think that's a very important part of the Summit."

As far as what Avery saw from the 6-foot-1, 213-pound Del Rio, who currently stands as the favorite to win UF's starting quarterback job heading into the fall, he came away impressed with what the Gators signal-caller brings to the table.

"I think Luke came in with a very specific goal that he wanted to improve on - kind of keep that between us, but he came in with a very specific goal for the things that he wanted to improve on as well as things that the coaching staff at Florida wanted him to improve on," said Avery, who has been familiar with Del Rio since his high school days but trained with him this past weekend for the first time.

"I think he developed a good bit as a passer and his ability to perform this upcoming season at UF. I was really impressed. His body has changed, for one. I know Luke since he was in high school and he's made a few other stops, but it looks like he has put in the dedication to being where he's supposed to be at the University of Florida. His ability to make throws is right up there with any of the other college guys, so you know he has the capacity to do that. Just was really impressed as a whole with who he is and who he's developed into and the things that he's capable this upcoming fall."

As far as Del Rio's greatest strengths as a quarterback after evaluating him closely, Avery pointed to Del Rio's knowledge of UF's offensive schemes and his ability to read opposing defenses.

"I think that's going to put him in a situation where he can be really, really successful," explained Avery. "The understanding, it was next level kinds of things where he knew the detail, when he would explain what would be happening at Florida this year between the protections to being able to get in and out of things as far as checks. His understanding of the playbook is going to help him more than anything, but I think he developed the most this week in terms of being able to throw with touch. That's something that he did, and I think he got a lot better at that."

Avery pointed to consistency as one area where Del Rio still has room to grow.

"He just needs consistency with his footwork. If he can do that, he takes some time to hone in on that this upcoming summer, I think he can have a really special year in the SEC," Avery said. "He continues to develop. I think he does a lot of things really, really well. The things that he has to fix are really small issues - it's kind of nitpicking in terms of fundamentals. He has fix, maybe bring in his base a little bit - being consistent with his base at all times."

A few intangibles about Del Rio that stood out to Avery this past weekend, though, were the Gators quarterback's confidence and willingness to gather new information.

"Undoubtedly, he's got a ton of confidence, and he's earned that confidence," Avery said. "Not only does he have confidence, but his ability to take in information. I think a lot of times when you're the son of a football coach, you get a lot of information at a young age and you start to think you're maybe above other people providing you things. But Luke isn't like that at all. He's always seeking more knowledge. I think that's unique coming from his background."

"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see." Confucius

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Mac and crew do a good job of getting guys open. If we improve our oline play, we should be fine.
I do like the way the passing game looks now that we have a QB who can throw the ball. I think our quick passing game will set the table for our running game which in turn will open up things a little further downfield off play action. If Calloway returns, teams will most likely double team him leaving our young guys plenty of space to work with underneath in the event our QB has to check down.
As far as the offensive line goes, if our QB knows where he's going with the ball and gets it out on time, that will take a lot of pressure off the oline in pass protection. Part of the problem late last year was the fact Treon took forever to throw the ball and that made things look even worse than they were. A QB with a quick arm and a trio of solid RB's(pass protection & screens) can also make an average offensive line look pretty impressive. Hopefully it all come together and we keep key players healthy.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think you actually need to have hair to even have the mange don't you? :dunno:
That's the beauty of it. He has hair but it is patchy and in weird places on his dome. Never seen anything quite like it on a dude.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Come on!!! I thought TH had a 3K season last year? That dude in the third row alone had 1500 yards
I think if you add up all three of Jeff Dip****skel's years and add the yardage for his INTs, he is real close to 3k yards.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
JD would have had 90 sacks behind that line. Hell, he had 40 behind a good line.

I understand that you have a special place in your heart for mouth-breathing retards.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
JD would have had 90 sacks behind that line. Hell, he had 40 behind a good line.

I understand that you have a special place in your heart for mouth-breathing retards.
Yeah but he would not be suspended or have our best WR suspended with him

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah but he would not be suspended or have our best WR suspended with him
I prefer having Treon suspended. It gives him time to think about going to Conf USA and realize that the option would make him much happier.

Callaway smoked his own bowl. I feel the same way about him as I did Greer. He has all the potential in the world, but if he isn't a team player and smart enough to not get himself suspended, then adios.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I prefer having Treon suspended. It gives him time to think about going to Conf USA and realize that the option would make him much happier.

Callaway smoked his own bowl. I feel the same way about him as I did Greer. He has all the potential in the world, but if he isn't a team player and smart enough to not get himself suspended, then adios.

I heard that Shand's just found a new cancer and its called Treon Harris. He is one of the worst things ever to happen to UF.
Callaway should've never been allowed to be around him.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
..... Unlike some other QB's he won't be able to do much for us with his feet, not that I really want a running QB, but there are times when picking up a first down or 2 during a tight game can be a valuable asset for a offense.

I seem to remember a rather unauthentic, non-running bama QB, nimbly tiptoeing down the Gator sideline like a friggin ballerina for a big first down in the SEC championship game.

It's amazing what a sound and competent offense can accomplish. A good running game brings the threat of a downfield pass. A few completed down field passes do wonders for opening up a little running room for a QB when he's dodging pass rushers... Even one who would not otherwise be described as, "fleet of foot".

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I seem to remember a rather unauthentic, non-running bama QB, nimbly tiptoeing down the Gator sideline like a friggin ballerina for a big first down in the SEC championship game.

It's amazing what a sound and competent offense can accomplish. A good running game brings the threat of a downfield pass. A few completed down field passes do wonders for opening up a little running room for a QB when he's dodging pass rushers... Even one who would not otherwise be described as, "fleet of foot".
Wouldn't argue that. Were you speaking of McElroy in the 2009 SECCG or Coker last year? Coker actually did quite a bit of damage with his feet for Bama after their loss last year to OM. Sadly he hurt us a couple of times also.
I'm hoping our offense is effective enough this year to keep the LOS more spread out. I think it will be since we won't be seeing anymore of the Oompa Loompa at QB.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wouldn't argue that. Were you speaking of McElroy in the 2009 SECCG or Coker last year? Coker actually did quite a bit of damage with his feet for Bama after their loss last year to OM. Sadly he hurt us a couple of times also.
I'm hoping our offense is effective enough this year to keep the LOS more spread out. I think it will be since we won't be seeing anymore of the Oompa Loompa at QB.

Well since I specifically said, "...in the SEC championship game..." I was speaking of the former. ;)

Although not explicitly saying it, I was implicitly referring to a Coach Mac coached QB, since it was his QB and his offense that made minced meat out of our #1 rated national defense.

But you are right about Coker too. Thanks for that fun trip down recent memory lane...

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I heard that Shand's just found a new cancer and its called Treon Harris. He is one of the worst things ever to happen to UF.
Callaway should've never been allowed to be around him.
If I'm not mistaken the two of them played together in high school. I remember hearing the announcers mention that every game the he had a big play or more than one catch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.