Del Rio now on scholarship

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Del Rio has been placed on scholarship.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-qb-luke-del-rio-a-walk-on-transfer-now-on-scholarship

Florida’s potential starting quarterback for 2016 is no longer a walk-on.

Luke Del Rio revealed Wednesday on Twitter he’s now on scholarship at UF. The redshirt sophomore transferred from Oregon State last summer and had been a walk-on with the Gators through this past spring.

Del Rio turned down a few offers in high school, including one from Jim McElwain at Colorado State, to join Alabama’s program as a walk-on in 2013. He left for Oregon State the following year and was on scholarship there for one season.

After sitting out 2015 due to NCAA transfer rules, Del Rio heads into Florida’s preseason camp next month with an edge over graduate transfer Austin Appleby, who was also a walk-on in the spring.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So is daddy's NFL money no good?

I agree. His dad is a multi-multi-millionaire. I imagine this is a "status" thing among players. Now he's no longer a "walk-on", which carries a stigma that he's not good enough. Hopefully this is a year-by-year thing like other walk-ons who are awarded a scholarship. We have some legit "preferred" walk-ons on our roster that I'm certain don't have daddy's that are worth $20+ million dollars!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. His dad is a multi-multi-millionaire. I imagine this is a "status" thing among players.

It has to be a status thing, because walk-ons aren't treated the best, even among their fellow players. A walk on who is awarded a scholarship can hold that like a badge of honor. The money aspect isn't an issue.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
^ That would make sense for your average walkon. But Del Rio js the starting QB and his Dad is a millionaire NFL coach and player. I doubt the players disrespect him and I hope he is more secure in himself than to need a scholarship to gain status. Dudes taking up a scholarship that we could give to someone that needs it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Only this board would make giving our probable starting QB a scholarship a bad thing. :lol::lol::lol:

It's a reasonable discussion. The dudes dad is literally worth $20+ million. I'm glad he's "earned" it in our coaches eyes...but I don't think anyone is making this a "bad thing". It's just a discussion.

I'd like to see an updated version of our scholarship breakdown also.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's a reasonable discussion. The dudes dad is literally worth $20+ million. I'm glad he's "earned" it in our coaches eyes...but I don't think anyone is making this a "bad thing". It's just a discussion.

I'd like to see an updated version of our scholarship breakdown also.
Scholarships shouldn't be awarded based on how rich your parents are, they should be awarded to the 85 best players on the team.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Scholarships shouldn't be awarded based on how rich your parents are, they should be awarded to the 85 best players on the team.

So....just playing Devil's Advocate here....if a walk-on earns playing time over a scholarship player that scholarship player should get booted off his scholarship and it should be awarded to the walk-on?

Scholarships - given to walk-on's - should be awarded however the head football coach decides to award them.

A walk-on could easily say (and this would make a GREAT "feel-good" story for the media) "Hey, my dad makes $6 million/year coaching the Oakland Raiders....he's going to pay my way here at Florida. I'll let coach give this scholarship to another one of my teammates."

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We all know that scholarships do not always go to the top 85 players on the roster. In a perfect world yes, but not in reality.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
So....just playing Devil's Advocate here....if a walk-on earns playing time over a scholarship player that scholarship player should get booted off his scholarship and it should be awarded to the walk-on?

The harsh reality is that the scholie kid probably gets forced to transfer and it is entirely possible that the walk on gets awarded a free ride. Probably rarely happens but I'm sure it does.

I have no problem with LDR earning a scholarship.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The harsh reality is that the scholie kid probably gets forced to transfer and it is entirely possible that the walk on gets awarded a free ride. Probably rarely happens but I'm sure it does.

I have no problem with LDR earning a scholarship.

I don't think anyone has a real issue with, just a slow period in sports calendar and it's academic.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I agree but you will have some times when you just don't have the numbers to give a kid one until the next season despite him producing on the field.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Scholarships are awarded every day based on how much money you make. Heck, that's the only factor in awarding federal scholarships. Most private scholarships are need based as well.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Probly done to keep him from transferring again.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dudes taking up a scholarship that we could give to someone that needs it.

That dude is gonna be our starting QB. He deserves it. End of story.

If we need to free up a scholly that bad by the time signing day nears I'm sure Mac can convince some 3rd string, fifth year player that his playing days at UF are behind him and he should move on...

cornbread

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
it doesn't matter after he wins the Heisman this year he will turn pro

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Scholarships are awarded every day based on how much money you make. Heck, that's the only factor in awarding federal scholarships. Most private scholarships are need based as well.

What exactly does that have to do with "athletic" scholarships for an SEC school and the flagship university for the state of Florida? The starting QB for The University of Florida deserves a scholarship. Period.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
What exactly does that have to do with "athletic" scholarships for an SEC school and the flagship university for the state of Florida? The starting QB for The University of Florida deserves a scholarship. Period.
What's the point of a scholarship? Any scholarship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator