Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's on him... he'll get it fixed...

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
If the coaching staff self-diagnoses that they are overly-resistant to making in-game changes at QB, they should "script some clear decision rules" ahead of time, in the cool and calm of a Wednesday or Thursday morning, so that they can act appropriately on Saturday.

I'd suggest:

We will make a change at QB when any of these is true:
* we are behind by 17 points at any time during the game
* we are behind by 10 or more points any time during the 4th quarter. (Including 15:00 to go.)
* we have 3 or less first downs on the last 3 drives
* the QB has 2 turnovers.
* the QB has missed hitting an open receiver 3 times.
* the QB has not seen an open receiver he should have 3 times.
* the QB has thrown into obvious double coverage 3 times.
* the QB's total of missed open passes, unseen receivers, and throws into double coverage is 5.
* the QB has chicken wing of his throwing arm.
* a fan named Cover2 shouts or tweets or makes a Facebook post of "Change the Freeking QB for gawd's sake!"

The starting QB is: _________
The 2nd string QB is: ________
The 3rd string QB is: ________
The 4th string QB is: ________
The 5th string QB is: ________
The 6th string QB is: ________
The 7th string QB is: ________
The 8th string QB is: ________
We will play all of them if we have to, rather than go down without making an effort to find a solution.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Edward Aschoff ESPN Staff Writer
i

Florida coach Jim McElwain announces that Austin Appleby will start this weekend at QB for the Gators against South Carolina. True freshman Feleipe Franks has been getting the most reps behind Appleby and could also play this weekend as well, but that hasn't been determined yet. "We're not afraid at any point of playing him. ... As we move forward we need a spark (on offense." McElwain added that Franks' upside "is huge."

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt Trask ever plays a meaningful down here. But but but he's a diamond in the rough. Mac KNOWS QBs and if he offered him a scholie then he pulled one over on America! All bull ****. Total and utter bull ****. Trask is the freaking caboose. When LDR is healthy Trask is 4th string. 4th! Yeah Mac really can evaluate talent. LOL. Hilarious.

Our staff is a joke.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt Trask ever plays a meaningful down here. But but but he's a diamond in the rough. Mac KNOWS QBs and if he offered him a scholie then he pulled one over on America! All bull ****. Total and utter bull ****. Trask is the freaking caboose. When LDR is healthy Trask is 4th string. 4th! Yeah Mac really can evaluate talent. LOL. Hilarious.

Our staff is a joke.

This is how I picture you when you post:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well it will be Appleby who gets to take the beating at LSU. Hopefully we can at least beat SC.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well it will be Appleby who gets to take the beating at LSU. Hopefully we can at least beat SC.

We may be lucky if AA is still healthy enough to start by the LSU game. Remember, our starting center is out, and Fred Johnson is back in the line-up.

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
I think it's been injured for the past few games.
You may be on to something. Seriously, did anyone notice any difference at all? He's always had a noodle arm that was, supposedly, offset by his superior understanding, decision making, and leadership. I doubt he'd be sitting if he hadn't sucked. QB's normally play, even if they are slightly injured.
What is an indictment of McElwain is how he threw Treon Harris under the bus when he bragged about the overwhelming "arm talent" coming into the season that he didn't have last year. Granted, Harris wasn't a great QB, but at least he could make big plays with his legs. I just wonder about McElwain's acumen at evaluating QBs. Del Rio, supposedly, was THE answer at QB, according to the scuttlebutt regarding his prowess last year when he couldn't play.

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
Saying that any of this is on the players or LDR for being too selfish to tell the staff he's hurt or whatever is nonsense. Any of these kids that's tough and wants to play will grit through pain and misery bc that's what has been engrained in them from the beginning. It's not the players job to self report his issues, and frankly if we had players pulling themselves out when they were hurting all y'all would be melting down about what giant vaginas we have on the team. The players are supposed to give everything they have, painful or not. It's the coaches job to notice when a guy is hurt or struggling and it's the coaches job to make the decision.

Bashing LDR is just wrong. By all accounts he's a good kid, hard worker and has given us everything he has. Limited or not he's done what he was supposed to. This issue is a staff issue, not a player one.
It's deja vu all over again. Isn't this the same crap people said about Jeff Driskel? Maybe it's NOT a "staff issue." Maybe it's a player issue. After all, doesn't a player have some responsibility for his performance? If Jake Bentley comes into the Swamp and performs well, did Will Muschamp suddenly become a QB guru?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I just wonder about McElwain's acumen at evaluating QBs. Del Rio, supposedly, was THE answer at QB, according to the scuttlebutt regarding his prowess last year when he couldn't play.

I don't know if you've ever noticed or not, but some players fold under the lights, and some players shine when the lights come on. It's entirely possible LDR is very good in practices, but the bright lights of game time expose his weakness under pressure. Not saying that's how it is, but we've certainly seen it before. Jeff Driskel, John Brantley, are two prime examples of practice experts who folded when the lights came on.

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
What amazes me is that the coach won't pull a struggling QB, Treon last year or LDR this year, but he's quick as a rabbit to run off a potential All Star, Grier, for a slight misunderstanding....
"...slight misunderstanding.."? Since when is cheating by taking PEDs a "slight misunderstanding"? Let me know about the plague of QBs getting suspended for being juiced. I must have missed that news. Grier was an embarrassment to the program. Again, let me know when a QB has been busted for taking steroids in college. Grier was a punk, and had red flags waving everywhere, starting with his jerk of a father.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It's deja vu all over again. Isn't this the same crap people said about Jeff Driskel? Maybe it's NOT a "staff issue." Maybe it's a player issue. After all, doesn't a player have some responsibility for his performance? If Jake Bentley comes into the Swamp and performs well, did Will Muschamp suddenly become a QB guru?

Honest question, why would you care? Your a nole troll anyhow.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
"...slight misunderstanding.."? Since when is cheating by taking PEDs a "slight misunderstanding"? Let me know about the plague of QBs getting suspended for being juiced. I must have missed that news. Grier was an embarrassment to the program. Again, let me know when a QB has been busted for taking steroids in college. Grier was a punk, and had red flags waving everywhere, starting with his jerk of a father.

You likely have a full size pic of Jameis Winston on your moms bedroom wall.

SoberJohn

BANNED
Jul 3, 2015
It can be looked at two ways. Grier was clearly better than Treon yet Grier was redshirted. They always planned to redshirt him. The guy that is third string may not be the future because they are saving him. However, the guy who plays may be the future like Eason in Jawja. We have no way of knowing unless Trask or Franks plays well.
You don't have a clue. You have no idea if a true freshman is ready to play, and, I suspect, Harris played because he was more ready to play than Grier. A clue may have been gleaned from who they played in high school. Harris was going up against athletes comparable to SEC competition, while Grier was playing the Sisters of the Poor. Just like every game has it's own, unique, merit, so do players. From the number of "stars" you'd think Eason would be the top freshman QB, but his performance is proof that he would have been better off sitting out a year, while Jake Bentley, who UF faces this week, looks a lot better than Eason. But, then again, he wasn't thrown out to the wolves immediately like Eason was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator