Details released: 3 years, $5.1 million for Muschamp

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n247988 said:
I actually feel like Auburn looks worse than we do here. They are paying a ton of money for a guy whose defense got destroyed by their biggest rival last year. That was with a healthy defense with one of the best secondaries in the country! His defense was out schemed and coached. I look back at how many times our defense also failed us. Big plays in big situations against Bama (screen pass) and LSU. Miami in 2013 where the safety play broke down and gave up a long TD pass.

Auburn doesn't have the talent that we have on defense. It will be interesting to see how his defense does when his offense can't help by holding the ball and creating TOP.

Good point. What proved to be one of his worst jobs of scheming last year, will now end up being his most important game of the year, this year. And he gets $1.5M+ for that.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n247988 said:
I actually feel like Auburn looks worse than we do here. They are paying a ton of money for a guy whose defense got destroyed by their biggest rival last year. That was with a healthy defense with one of the best secondaries in the country! His defense was out schemed and coached. I look back at how many times our defense also failed us. Big plays in big situations against Bama (screen pass) and LSU. Miami in 2013 where the safety play broke down and gave up a long TD pass.

Auburn doesn't have the talent that we have on defense. It will be interesting to see how his defense does when his offense can't help by holding the ball and creating TOP.

There was a guy on local radio 2 days ago that was very knowledgeable. He said that Muschamp's defenses where ever he's been have always ranked in the top ten in least yds per play. He picked Auburn to win it all based a number of factors. Puke.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Only in sports is a person be so handsomely rewarded for being such a dismal failure.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n248019 said:
There was a guy on local radio 2 days ago that was very knowledgeable. He said that Muschamp's defenses where ever he's been have always ranked in the top ten in least yds per play. He picked Auburn to win it all based a number of factors. Puke.

Over the course of a season that may play out, but in big games, and in big games in big moments his defenses consistently sh*t the bed like Id never seen before. 3rd and a mile... pass complete for 1 mile+; blitzing pressure up the middle, 50+ yard bomb complete to WR with noone within a country-mile distance of him; and you could go on forever but we've all seen it. Against good teams, in big games and in key situations his D stunk for 3 out of 4 years. Maybe it will be good enough if their O is good this year to still get them into the big game, but a musty D is always 1 play away from :facepalm:

And 1 play away from :facepalm: aint worth anything close to 5 mil.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n248040 said:
Over the course of a season that may play out, but in big games, and in big games in big moments his defenses consistently sh*t the bed like Id never seen before. 3rd and a mile... pass complete for 1 mile+; blitzing pressure up the middle, 50+ yard bomb complete to WR with noone within a country-mile distance of him; and you could go on forever but we've all seen it. Against good teams, in big games and in key situations his D stunk for 3 out of 4 years. Maybe it will be good enough if their O is good this year to still get them into the big game, but a musty D is always 1 play away from :facepalm:

And 1 play away from :facepalm: aint worth anything close to 5 mil.
I'm no Muschamp fan, but the guy's actually a pretty good defensive coach. Alabama was the only loss last year where the defense sh!t the bed last year. The avg. yards per play in the other four losses were 4.2, (LSU), 2.2 (MU), 3.8 (USCe), 4.7 F$U.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Malzahn's fast pace will clash with Suckchamp's required TOP....

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Chomper;n248028 said:
Only in sports is a person be so handsomely rewarded for being such a dismal failure.

yep - sports and ex-CEOs

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
T REX;n248019 said:

Go back and look at WM's defenses against some of the better offensive minded HC's. I hate uga, but they had his number when he was at Auburn, and beat him up pretty good in his last year at Lsu as well. In five games against them, he averaged giving up 30 points. His defenses at Texas were equally spotty.

In short, while I don't deny that he is a good DC, I do think the offensive minded coaches can and often do get the best of him.

I also think he benefited greatly from the insane defensive talent on the 2003 Lsu and 2011-2012 UF teams, which skew the perception greatly, most of which he inherited from his predecessors. Even from a talent evaluation standpoint, there are legitimate questions. Outside of a few exceptions, he largely replaced star players left over from Meyer with mediocre players that he brought in, and the results in the past 2 years reflected that.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Muschamp is a good but not great DC. Like stated previously (in big games against great OC's his defenses we're embarrassed) everywhere he's been besides LSU. The reason they weren't at LSU is because that was Saban's defense. He has to be the most overrated Coordinator in CFB.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
PastyStoole;n248069 said:
I'm no Muschamp fan, but the guy's actually a pretty good defensive coach. Alabama was the only loss last year where the defense sh!t the bed last year. The avg. yards per play in the other four losses were 4.2, (LSU), 2.2 (MU), 3.8 (USCe), 4.7 F$U.

You know how I hate disagreeing with you Pasty, but I'm going to point out a flaw in those numbers. In several of our losses the past two years, the opposing teams have intentionally and visibly shut down their offense to avoid risk of turnover or disaster play, knowing that they didn't need to with our completely inept offensive game plan. Just as Spurrier's defenses often benefited from opponents having to throw the ball to keep up or come back, WM's opponents could put together one or two scoring drives a game and feel pretty confident playing conservative clock control the rest of the time. Some of the most obvious cases were last year's Mizzou game, and 2013's Lsu and Usce game. Even down, Spurrier just methodically went through the motions knowing that he only need a score or 2 to win. That skews things quite a bit.

Ftr, I'm not disagreeing that WM is a good DC. Just that stats can be very misleading.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well......ahhhhh.....ummm.....Oh, crap! I had something very profound that I wanted to add and forgot.

Oh, yeah. F*CK Muschamp!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n248069 said:

Lets use the LSU game as an example. Fournette ran for 140 yards on 27 carries. Then... on third down in a key moment they hit a huge play. Defense failed to make key plays and get stops when they needed them and that happened every year except 2012.

Go ahead and check out about the 1:30 mark of this video... https://www.secsports.com/video/11686787/lsu-escapes-florida-30-27-victory

"3rd and California" - and they convert on our defense at home!!!

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n248092 said:
Lets use the LSU game as an example. Fournette ran for 140 yards on 27 carries. Then... on third down in a key moment they hit a huge play. Defense failed to make key plays and get stops when they needed them and that happened every year except 2012.

Go ahead and check out about the 1:30 mark of this video... https://www.secsports.com/video/11686787/lsu-escapes-florida-30-27-victory

Even if the guy doesn't catch the pass, we were going to be called for pass interference and it would have been an automatic first down. :facepalm:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n248092 said:

There was a comparable head-shaking moment against Alabama. Something like 3rd and 15, a daunting task for even the best offense to convert. They have the lead so no need to press. Concerns about the QB, so even less reason to force things. Shockingly, they run a very safe RB screen that has us so confused, Henry gallops for like 25 yards, because we're completely unprepared for it.(dime package, I believe).

But oh well. Let's grill a 19 year old, make mean faces and punch things. That always works.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n248083 said:
You know how I hate disagreeing with you Pasty, but I'm going to point out a flaw in those numbers. In several of our losses the past two years, the opposing teams have intentionally and visibly shut down their offense to avoid risk of turnover or disaster play, knowing that they didn't need to with our completely inept offensive game plan. Just as Spurrier's defenses often benefited from opponents having to throw the ball to keep up or come back, WM's opponents could put together one or two scoring drives a game and feel pretty confident playing conservative clock control the rest of the time. One of the most obvious cases were last year's Mizzou game, and 2013's Lsu and Usce game. Even down, Spurrier just methodically went through the motions knowing that he only need a soroe or 2 to win. That skews things quite a bit.

Ftr, I'm not disagreeing that WM is a good DC. Just that stats can be very misleading.
You're right about this. It's much easier to have a "good" defense in many ways when your offense sucks. Especially when the primary objective of your team's offense is to burn clock. Pitcher's don't throw as many fastballs in a 1-0 pitcher's duel.

BTW, the caller in question was wrong, at least about 2013. We were 42nd in yards per play that year. And Durty's point is well taken as our defense completely sucked in all our losses that year.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n248101 said:
There was a comparable head-shaking moment against Alabama. Something like 3rd and 15, a daunting task for even the best offense to convert. They have the lead so no need to press. Concerns about the QB, so even less reason to force things. Shockingly, they run a very safe RB screen that has us so confused, Henry gallops for like 25 yards, because we're completely unprepared for it.(dime package, I believe).

But oh well. Let's grill a 19 year old, make mean faces and punch things. That always works.

Yeah... that one was horrible also. but I used the LSU example because it went against the YPG stat that was provided.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I, for one, don't think his defense is evolving from what he learned from Saban. Saban, on the other hand, is evolving his defense to offensive changes that are taking place.
This too can be said for Muschamp's offense (or lack there of).

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
playzwtrux;n248110 said:
I, for one, don't think his defense is evolving from what he learned from Saban. Saban, on the other hand, is evolving his defense to offensive changes that are taking place.
This too can be said for Muschamp's offense (or lack there of).
Spot on. A pale photocopy, the kind when the toner cartridge needed to be replaced weeks ago, of what Saban used to be 12 years ago.

He is really a one trick pony. Sell out to stop the run, leave your CBS on islands and pray your DBs don't make a mistake.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What's sad is it's all of the crazy crap in the video is true. It would be hilarious if we all hadn't suffered through every second of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.