Recruiting Early Signing Day 2021

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
There are a number of “tweeners” on D in this class that will wind up either hugely effective at eliminating mismatches or too small for one and too slow for the other.

When I look at how talented Marcus Maye and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson are as pros, I really hope that Black or another recruit can be that linchpin in the middle. We’ve struggled finding another great Star and it hurts.

We also need a FB/RB good for 2 yrds...80-90% of the time. And a DL "Road Grader" that takes a double team most of the time.

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
This is what I don't get. If nothing else Mullen has proven he is a good QB coach. Why can't he get a 5 star QB? You would think top QB's in the country would be lining up to play for him. But he can't get one to save his life (or job).

Hell, Muschamp had a 5 star QB committed before he was fire and he is a death sentence for any QB.

If he can't get the top players at what he is good at, he sure as heck ain't getting top players at other positions.
This!
While Clemson gets mentioned by some as not consistently recruiting in top 5, but are a fixture now in the playoff Dabo gets 5* QBs and what a difference that makes.
Being in the ACC doesn't hurt either.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
This!
While Clemson gets mentioned by some as not consistently recruiting in top 5, but are a fixture now in the playoff Dabo gets 5* QBs and what a difference that makes.

This

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I like the guys we signed on D. Sapp and Boone are both very good. Watson gives us a good nose
in a couple years. Talent on the back end and 3 blue chips at linebacker. Though one will likely be moved.
Obviously the OL is a bit of a joke, and Knox continues to suck. These are the two most pressing areas
to address on the offense. I like Burke and Rucker if he gets in. Reynolds is one I am not very impressed
with at receiver. Kind of a B- class. We hit on most areas, but the signing of talented OL continues to
not happen. Maybe we can start putting Brewster on the high OL targets, and have Hev in the background on zoom
calls.

The RB room is fine. We'll need a HS kid next class however. I said this a few weeks ago, but I'm not going to bag on Knox anymore - it's not his fault, it's Mullen's offense. Any RB that comes to UF, after watching this offense, is probably a borderline retard. Why would any good HS RB want to come play in this offense? Run the ball 2 to 10 times a game, maybe catch a couple of passes, rotate with two or three other RBs, and hope you're the one that gets the bulk of the 15 or so carries (combined) that the RB group gets per game?

The biggest problem with our recruiting is: OL. Other than that, we struggle to get 'elite' talent at most positions (sure, we get one or two here and there). We need to start landing 2 OLs that are not projects (i.e. 4-stars ranked in the top 10 of their position group) each class (then a couple of projects to fill out the class) & start pulling in 3 or 4 more "elite" players (in addition to the 2 or 3 we've been landing). If we do that, it'll put us in the top 4 to 7 every year - which is probably the ceiling for Dan Mullen's recruiting efforts.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What some on this board have been saying.

It's Groundhog Day as Dan Mullen's 2021 early signing day looks a lot like 2018, 2019 and 2020 - Read and Reaction

Recruiting the same way he did at Miss St.
Elite QBs make up for recruiting misses

Will Miles does good work. I hope the biggest difference is that the 21 class will actually ALL be here come September. The 18 & 19 classes were solidly ranked, but after the departures (players who never made it to September, for one reason or another) was a disaster. The 20 class had 2 highly ranked players - at positions of need (OT & SDE) - not make it. So, IF....IF this class all makes it to September that's a huge step for this handicapped coaching staff.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This!

He also makes sure that the lines on both side are well stocked. Need proof look how they are drafted every two to three years, DL and OL are picked up. Dominant the trenches giving your quarterback and runningback room and your DB's less time to cover it's a winning formula.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Will Miles does good work. I hope the biggest difference is that the 21 class will actually ALL be here come September. The 18 & 19 classes were solidly ranked, but after the departures (players who never made it to September, for one reason or another) was a disaster. The 20 class had 2 highly ranked players - at positions of need (OT & SDE) - not make it. So, IF....IF this class all makes it to September that's a huge step for this handicapped coaching staff.

Again...Does it matter if we have Grantham? Or run our smallest RB off guard and off tackle?

And then there is our facilities.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Again...Does it matter if we have Grantham? Or run our smallest RB off guard and off tackle?

And then there is our facilities.

The offense goes back to Mullen ball next year - I'd be shocked if we throw the ball more than 30-32 times a game next year (my guess is we'll average around 27 attempts/game).

On Grantham - I've said this already in the dozens of other threads - but I think he's gone. Especially after we get ass-raped Saturday night. The noise is way too loud.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The offense goes back to Mullen ball next year - I'd be shocked if we throw the ball more than 30-32 times a game next year (my guess is we'll average around 27 attempts/game).

On Grantham - I've said this already in the dozens of other threads - but I think he's gone. Especially after we get ass-raped Saturday night. The noise is way too loud.

I can't see us running with this OL? If that was the case why not put EJ in in the 3rd QTR instead of 3-3 and outs? Or put them both in ala Leak-Tebow?

On Grantham...I don't see it. Mullen is way too arrogant. This last post game presser was Bidenesq. He threw Trask and the Offense under the bus and then later DEFENDS Wilson...Who does that?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I can't see us running with this OL? If that was the case why not put EJ in in the 3rd QTR instead of 3-3 and outs? Or put them both in ala Leak-Tebow?

On Grantham...I don't see it. Mullen is way too arrogant. This last post game presser was Bidenesq. He threw Trask and the Offense under the bus and then later DEFENDS Wilson...Who does that?

Mullen ball forces the run. He's not going to sit EJ in the pocket and throw the way he does it with Trask. The OL will likely have 4 new starters (plus a full spring and regular off-season S&C).

I'm stubbornly going to disagree w/ you on the upcoming firing of Grantham - it's happening (at least I'm talking myself into it).

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015

Just heard Trask give a mature defense of his teammate. I don't object to defending him per se, I object to Wilson not being punished for his mistake. Wilson and the team both needed that message.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm stubbornly going to disagree w/ you on the upcoming firing of Grantham - it's happening (at least I'm talking myself into it).

I believe he is gone. There is a disconnect between the two. It has come out in a few of his post game press conferences. He wants certain things changed. Choker does it briefly, then returns to his usual pattern. I think this situation exposes Mullinz. If you want your DC to change something then make him do it. You are the head coach.

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017

There’s noise where WE hang out, but I don’t know if there is noise in the bubble that Mullen hangs out in.

I have a hard time imagining Stricklin or Fuchs giving him any input on Grantham whatsoever. I can only hear them saying, “what, you won the SEC East? Nice work. Here’s an extension and a raise.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.