Egg Bowl and Matt Corral

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The reason we dont have him is because we didnt want him.

There is no one with any sense (I realize that doesnt exclude Homer or Rog) who wanted a kid like this for an option offense, just like most passing OCs would want most of Mullinz type QBs.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, with all due respect, eff Matt Corral.

This is the kid we need to run Mullen's offense.

Last edited:

leogator

May 5, 2018
I'd rather have Matt Corral run this offense than Franks. Matt Corral is a better passer than EJ and EJ a better runner. Still would rather have Fields. I want to see what JJ can do with this offense. Is he an early enrollee?

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
I want nothing to do with Corral because his talent was evaluated by none other than fvvckface McElwain. No thanks

So you believe that if Baker Mayfield, as a freshman, started for Ole Miss yesterday with their bowl ban, scholly reductions and the fact that Ole Miss is in the SEC (west, no less) that he would have anywhere near the success that he had at Oklahoma? Again, no chance.

Coaches are of course fallible, but I trust Mullen's judgement a hell of a lot more than a random person on a message board.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Granted, I did not watch Mayfield all that much when he was at OU. He was definitely abrasive and came across as a tool to opposing teams, but I actually don't recall him leading the charge in a full blown fight like last night. Again, I could be way off, I just don't remember that.

But that said, yes, I'll be the first to say I'm not a fan of that mentality in my quarterbacks. I think you can get away with it, even welcome that behavior, at other positions. But there needs to be a leader in clutch situations, and that's not the way a leader acts. I'd also add that outside of putting up ridiculous stats(shocking in the B12), what exactly has Mayfield won? His demeanor and "throat slash" trash talk only took him so far against uga last year. And so far he's been a mixed bag at the next level. One of my best friends is a Sooner, and even he kind of had mixed feelings on Mayfield.

Last night, Corral was pacing the sidelines with his pissed at the world face well before that incident. Then promptly went out and threw a pick. So again, I'd very much prefer a calmer presence at QB, or at least one like Tebow that was loud and energized, but respected the opponent. To be clear, I am 100% ok with him being elsewhere and do not want that here.

I guess we're also dismissing the fact that in his moment of "follow me to victory", the moment a bigger MSU player entered the picture, he immediately allowed the player--his hated rival, mind you--to corral him and calmly remove him from the scene. This wasn't a teammate. This was his next opponent in the mayhem he wanted, and suddenly, it just magically became ok to end things. It was faux thug mindset and extremely weak. Yes, he's 18 and has plenty of time to grow up. But as I said, all we can judge to this point is what he's put out there, and there's nothing that I saw that would lead me to want him in O&B.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think your memory is a tad foggy.

The Leak version of the Meyer/Mullen offense in 05 and 06 was atrocious, save for the SEC CG and the BCS CG.
It is amazing how some people cab remember whatever fits their purpose.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Leak could throw a damn purdy spiral.

Is that a 144.9 QBR? Dayum

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly, like how Leak has fourth highest passing yards in SEC history. Just above Payton. He did that only in his first two years, I’m sure.
You will have trouble finding anyone who appreciates Chris Leak and how he was mismanaged and misused than me.

Either you score points or you dont. QBRs dont matter. Mullinz w Leak couldnt score points.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In complete and total fairness to the 2006 offense (which I agree was not good), a big part of our scoring issues was the fact that Chris Hetland couldn't hit a FG outside of 30 yards. We ended up going for it on 4th down quite a bit more than we would have with a better kicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator