ESPN: Is Florida finding its footing under Billy Napier?

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Because for as up-and-down as Florida's been, no one in college football doubts the strength of the brand or its ability to produce national championships.

"Florida's a momentum job, if that makes sense," Napier said. "I think if you get it built, it'll be hard to slow down."

He paused a beat for emphasis.

"If you got the discipline to create it the right way and something that's sustainable and repeatable. That's exactly what we're going to do."
Good article.
We are facing yet another stiff test this weekend.

Normally, by Thursday Fl/ga week, My stomach is already in knots and I'm preparing for the weekend.
Living in Jacksonville, This game has been a huge part of my life for over 40 years.
I always ride down by the Stadium on Thursday nights, just to see RV City and get the juices flowing a little.
Back when SOS was the HBC, The team used to stay at the Marriott at Sawgrass. I would take my girls down to the hotel just to watch the team come off the bus.

We have a chance this week.
What I don't want to see is a backward step, after the progress we've made since Kentucky. If we can keep this game within 1 score or maybe 10 points, then we are making strides. Recruiting is definitely there, and the team is playing better.
I don't think I've ever seen Kirby, under pressure from Florida since his very first season with ga.. A solid Gator team, that shows up every year in Jacksonville, will pressure Kirby and ga fans, tremendously.

Like Rocky said, It's not about how many punches you can take but how many punches you can take, and keep moving forward.

Regardless of how this game turns out, let's keep moving forward.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Our DB's are going to need help from a good pass rush....if not this game could get ugly score wise. If that happens, I want to see the team not fall apart. Just play the game and operate the game plan despite circumstances. To me that will still show some growth.

I'm not sure we have enough to go 60 minutes with them and come out on top but keep counter punching and attack when there is an opportunity is what I want to see if we do come up short.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Very good read, thanks for sharing. Helluva stretch ahead starting with the Dwags this weekend. Anything can happen, but I am looking forward to seeing how they handle this stretch more than anything. Don't get me wrong, the W/L does matter, but I am more worried about how they respond and progress through it.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Even the biggest Gator/Jaguars homer ever (Frangie) said he can’t see a way we win this game. They lead the SEC in almost every defensive category along with having the top passing offense. Like many others, I just want to see great effort and no quit in this team. We’re gonna give them hell in the near future, but we’re not there yet.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Even the biggest Gator/Jaguars homer ever (Frangie) said he can’t see a way we win this game.
Good thing the games aren't played on paper. UGA isn't having an undefeated season, they are going to lose. Might as well be to us.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Even the biggest Gator/Jaguars homer ever (Frangie) said he can’t see a way we win this game. They lead the SEC in almost every defensive category along with having the top passing offense. Like many others, I just want to see great effort and no quit in this team. We’re gonna give them hell in the near future, but we’re not there yet.
I don't know if we win or not, probably not. They are the "more talented" team.
However, I believe this team can be willed to win. They've shown more and more grit as the season has progressed. Yes against lesser talent, but they've shown they will fight for one another. I think this could be a good game. I hope we go out there and punch their bitch asses in the mouth, but we'll see how that goes :lol:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
When it comes to big underdogs winning, it almost always comes down to turnovers. We HAVE to get some. The defense needs to step up and make some plays.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
When it comes to big underdogs winning, it almost always comes down to turnovers. We HAVE to get some. The defense needs to step up and make some plays.
I think we have to be at least +3 in turnovers to have any shot. No one can sustain drives against their defense, so you have to be able to hit big plays to get points. Like I said, just wanna see us play hard and battle till the end.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Well, luckily enough, CBN did "identify" that as an area of concern during the bye week and again this week. So now that he's identified it, maybe we'll get some and not give some.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We've all seen some unprepared games from this staff, this far in to his tenure, with a bye week, we need to come out playing solid fundamental football, don't shoot ourselves in the foot, that alone will go a long way to keeping us in the game. LOS wiil be key, we run the ball like Nappy wants, and can keep Mertz from too much pressure, get some long drives in, score TD's IN THE REDZONE, by the 3rd quarter jawja will start to tighten up knowing we're going to beat them.. BOOOOOOOM

Mgnihilo

Founding Member
South Carolina Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't been this excited about a GA game in years. I think Coach Napier is getting the team to buy in to his plan. As others have already said, there's a grit, determination about this team that I like. I know it was against SC, but they didn't give up 10 points down with less than 5 minutes to go. It could be argued that every Gator team for the last 10 years would have lost that game, many by even more than 10. I like this team and I like where it's going. I believe that the next 5 weeks are going to be fun to watch.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Not sure if there's a chance but I wouldn't mind seeing a rainy, sloppy game. It might slow their passing game and favor us if we can run the ball and of course move the sticks with short passes too. I think the lower the score the better our odds in this one.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
don't think I've ever seen Kirby, under pressure from Florida since his very first season with ga.. A solid Gator team, that shows up every year in Jacksonville, will pressure Kirby and ga fans, tremendously.

We beat the dog piss out of them in 2020.

If Mullen even gave one iota of a damn about recruiting, we could’ve stopped this Georgia train.

Napier has this on the right track back.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We beat the dog piss out of them in 2020.

If Mullen even gave one iota of a damn about recruiting, we could’ve stopped this Georgia train.

Napier has this on the right track back.
Yeah, But he had already proven himself by 2020.
That first season, he was under a little pressure to beat Fl. Like every dwag.

We get on another 3, 4 ,5 game roll on them again, and he will feel it.
Hell, If we beat them this year, he will feel it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
We've all seen some unprepared games from this staff, this far in to his tenure, with a bye week, we need to come out playing solid fundamental football, don't shoot ourselves in the foot, that alone will go a long way to keeping us in the game. LOS wiil be key, we run the ball like Nappy wants, and can keep Mertz from too much pressure, get some long drives in, score TD's IN THE REDZONE, by the 3rd quarter jawja will start to tighten up knowing we're going to beat them.. BOOOOOOOM
Did someone say….
boom GIF

tharber

Oct 10, 2020
Nice to see some people finally seeing the light with BN. He will get it right and we will be the team to beat again soon.

As for the leg humpers. I never give predictions but I think we're going to kick the **** out of GA Saturday.

TH

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Good article and It made the point that Billy came to Fl in unprecedented times. Even Billy said you just don’t have a manual for the changes that came with NIL and the transfer portal.
Thats one hell of a curve ball when you’re all ready trying to build a team that lacks talent across the board.
Win or lose this Sat. this team is on its way back to prominence. The recruits see it and I believe most fans are starting to see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator