LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
MVP for me.

Montrell is great and they’re a great tandem, but it is crystal clear who our number one is.

It wasn’t just the blocking scheme making his yards happen. He was positively Emmitt Smith-like with some of those runs he ripped off that made tacklers with free shots at him look like fools. Absolutely huge game from him and he came up clutch when we had to make a play. He really helped keep us on schedule.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
MVP for me.

Montrell is great and they’re a great tandem, but it is crystal clear who our number one is.

It wasn’t just the blocking scheme making his yards happen. He was positively Emmitt Smith-like with some of those runs he ripped off that made tacklers with free shots at him look like fools. Absolutely huge game from him and he came up clutch when we had to make a play. He really helped keep us on schedule.

Montrell looked a little off tonight. Not sure if he's banged up or what.

SecVolfan13

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
I’d like to see how many missed tackles there were when he had the ball. Had to be a bunch. He made our guys look silly at times.
I didn’t know until tonight that he is 215 pounds. Dang! I thought he was a small shifty type back. He’s shifty but 215 pounds.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I’d like to see how many missed tackles there were when he had the ball. Had to be a bunch. He made our guys look silly at times.
I didn’t know until tonight that he is 215 pounds. Dang! I thought he was a small shifty type back. He’s shifty but 215 pounds.
He’s about the same height and weight as the great Emmitt Smith. Moves like him too. And he’s only a sophomore….

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I’d love to be a fly on the wall come film review. On Etienn’s long touchdown run number 5 for the Vols gave Etienne a nudge and fell down. It came across as a complete lack of effort. I literally joked to my family, “Are we paying number 5 to tackle that poorly?”

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Etienne is a more talented runner than Johnson for sure, but I think they are more comfortable with Johnson's pass blocking.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
Etienne seems much quicker out of the hole than Johnson.

Mgnihilo

Founding Member
South Carolina Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Isn't it great to have this problem? Wish we could have this problem at every position...soon, very soon...

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Johnson made some great plays tonight, the cutback at the goal line TD, the moves to get in the end zone on the screen…..but he’s just not as consistent as Etienne at maximizing yardage on a per play basis. I think Etienne needs to be the feature back with Johnson being the change of pace

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Johnson is not quite as quick from the dig and tends to do better when he has a 3 or 4 step start to assess what's in front of him...makes him perfect for screen passes. As much as we pound the middle I'd love to see us give him a play or 2 per game where he takes it from a pitch(toss sweep)....UGA runs this play as a staple and has good success with it. It might also help keep opposing DE's from collapsing on the edge on passing downs(think 3rd and short here).

ET is a fun back to watch and will certainly help us until we fill some talent gaps on the offensive line but the RB position has not been an issue with us over the last 6 years.....consistency from the line and playcalling have been. Until we iron out or at least improve those areas top defenses like UGA and FSU will slow down our running game.

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I can see Johnson being a draft steal though for a team looking for an after catch RB. He can make a career of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator