Fantasy Football Issue

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I would like your advice on a fantasy football issue which has come up in my league. In an attempt to get your honest opinion, I’m going to phrase this in a neutral manner, so you don’t know what side of the debate I fall on. Here goes:

About 7-8 years ago our commissioner kept $1,200 ($100x12 people) of the league dues. He did not pay the winners.

About 3 years ago, he was allowed back into the league, without permission/vote of the other members. This year, he won $200 in the league. One league member is withholding, $16.67 of his dues, which represents the % of league dues which would be paid to the former commissioner for his $200 winnings.

This member will donate this $16.67 to charity, since he shouldn’t profit.

Should this member be allowed to withhold the dues?

Although it’s only $16.67, people are getting their panties in a bunch.

I’d love the opinions of the always rational and cool-headed Chatternation?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’d find a new league that doesn’t have a friggin thief in it

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
I’d get my friends to kick that sumbitch out
I tried that, the problem is that the commissioners are the ones that let him in a few years ago because we were short one.

He’s not going anywhere.

As you can probably guess, I’m the guy withholding the money. I can’t inderstand how I’m the one getting crap from my buddies.

I’m standing strong though, screw that guy.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I would like your advice on a fantasy football issue which has come up in my league. In an attempt to get your honest opinion, I’m going to phrase this in a neutral manner, so you don’t know what side of the debate I fall on. Here goes:

About 7-8 years ago our commissioner kept $1,200 ($100x12 people) of the league dues. He did not pay the winners.

About 3 years ago, he was allowed back into the league, without permission/vote of the other members. This year, he won $200 in the league. One league member is withholding, $16.67 of his dues, which represents the % of league dues which would be paid to the former commissioner for his $200 winnings.

The league should withhold his winnings as a down payment on the still $1,000 he owes and distribute it to the winners he ripped off.

And I’d decline to participate in that league if that thief is allowed in next year. Otherwise, why pay dues at all if there’s no consequence for stealing from the group?

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
The league should withhold his winnings as a down payment on the still $1,000 he owes and distribute it to the winners he ripped off.

And I’d decline to participate in that league if that thief is allowed in next year. Otherwise, why pay dues at all if there’s no consequence for stealing from the group?
This 100%

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The guy stole $1200 and was let back in? Hell, he had the nerve to WANT back in? Yeah, no. There’s something seriously wrong with a guy like that.

I’ve been in a league with the same buddies for 28 years. If someone did that, they would never be allowed back, regardless of the circumstances. You don’t steal from your friends.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018

This sums up my opinion on the matter 100%. His participation in the league should be based on repayment of the money he stole. Once that has happened, then he should be free and clear to participate as an equal member.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This sums up my opinion on the matter 100%. His participation in the league should be based on repayment of the money he stole. Once that has happened, then he should be free and clear to participate as an equal member.
Fool me once...

After age 17, you are done. Single strike.

Well maybe after 30 years of clean living I might trust with something minor.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015

Unfortunately, the winner he ripped off became an undercover agent for homeland security, we can’t find him. That’s why my withholdings went to charity.

I appreciate everyone’s input. I could not believe I was getting push back from the other members that I needed to run this up the flag pole.

To use more annoying office cliches, I see no need to circle back on this, unless we want to think outside of the box. We should play the cards we have, and we have effectively managed the optics. So, by a way of housekeeping, we will manage the risk and maintain brand image and consistency by telling the thief to pound sand. At the end of the day, I’m the stake leader who values each of your inputs and efforts, so we will continue with our mission statement of fantasy football with integrity.

Thanks again

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The guy stole $1200 and was let back in? Hell, he had the nerve to WANT back in? Yeah, no. There’s something seriously wrong with a guy like that.

I’ve been in a league with the same buddies for 28 years. If someone did that, they would never be allowed back, regardless of the circumstances. You don’t steal from your friends.
He was a cousin of a buddy, no friend of mine.

I was never asked if he should be let back in the league and only noticed after the draft (we draft remotely). Still can’t believe he had the balls to come back or my commish was dumb enough to let him back in.

I’m still amazed that me not paying him is enven an issue. I was wondering if I missed something. You know when you are debating a moron, whose points are so off base you wonder if you’re missing something. That’s what I was feeling, so I asked the esteemed and always ethical academics of Chatternation.

Anyway, guy is not getting a penny of mine til he repays the $1200, either directly or through forfeited winnings.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
He needs to not only pay back what was taken but also freely submit to the mother of all ass beatings before he gets a penny of winnings.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Are there any rules related to these issues? If there are none their probably should be. Since they are a group of friends tolerating variation is more likely.

My advice is to set rules, the commissioner might be compensated, but with friends I would not do that. I also would not keep a portion of his winnings due to previous activities.

I don't play such games if that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.