Favorite FSU-UF moments at the Swamp

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Something to make you think a little since it removes the matchups at the Sugar Bowl and the christening of Ron Zook Field.

I'll go with the obvious, the come-from-behind 32-29 thriller in '97 as well as the bludgeoning of Casey Weldon in the 14-9 slugfest of '91.

Believe it or not, the loss to FSU the day after Thanksgiving 1979 was entertaining as hell. We entered the game as monumental underdogs, winless and with unknown Larry Ochab at quarterback. They came in unbeaten and with an attitude. It was 10-10 entering the fourth quarter before they pulled away. Eff that Nole team.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Something to make you think a little since it removes the matchups at the Sugar Bowl and the christening of Ron Zook Field.

I'll go with the obvious, the come-from-behind 32-29 thriller in '97 as well as the bludgeoning of Casey Weldon in the 14-9 slugfest of '91.

Believe it or not, the loss to FSU the day after Thanksgiving 1979 was entertaining as hell. We entered the game as monumental underdogs, winless and with unknown Larry Ochab at quarterback. They came in unbeaten and with an attitude. It was 10-10 entering the fourth quarter before they pulled away. Eff that Nole team.
@78 was there for the first two of those and remember watching the '79 game with my parents when we were in NC for the holiday, a mere teenager then.

My all time favorite the '97 Sugar Bowl ('96 Season). 52-20 was the ultimate Nole Azz kicking I loved. #1a is that follwing season 32-29.

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I was in the stands for 97 win , loudest I’ve heard a stadium , partied in university ave with everyone else.
Was in the stands for 96 national title game , saw Jevon in bourbon Street after the game

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

were at the '91 game as well... Casey's then wife was hot.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was on the sidelines for ‘91, just north of the bench. So I saw Amp Lee score down the sideline in front of me and had a pretty look at Speer and White knocking down the final pass in that end zone. Epic game.

I was in NY on business for 2004 and had a client dinner. Was able to run out quickly afterward and watched the game at the ESPN club with a group of Gators. Also was nice because I was going to be at a giant wedding in Panama City the next weekend with the groom being a big nole. Good guy and became a big politician, but it was fun to do the old Grandma’s Boy “what does high score mean” routine. The girlfriend had to keep me in check during the rehearsal dinner party where I killed a bottle of Dewars by myself. I realize that sounds like a compilation of moments, but it was one giant fuzzy moment for me.

But still, 1997 is the obvious choice. And as I’ve said before, I didn’t even want to be there but was forced by my parents who wouldn’t leave me at home because of the party I’d thrown while they were in Columbia for the Usce game a week or so earlier. That, combined with the fact that nearly everyone including me thought for sure we were going to lose made it even better. Hands down the best.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
It’s wayyyy down the list for me compared to other games mentioned , but had the whole fam at FSU for the 2012 comeback win. It was great to watch their fans just fuggin melt after the hit and we just started rolling 24 straight in the 4th.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s wayyyy down the list for me compared to other games mentioned , but had the whole fam at FSU for the 2012 comeback win. It was great to watch their fans just fuggin melt after the hit and we just started rolling 24 straight in the 4th.

Rewatch that game and the tennessee game from earlier that year, and tell me how we not only won, but in blowouts. Both games were so bizarre in the 4th.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Rewatch that game and the tennessee game from earlier that year, and tell me how we not only won, but in blowouts. Both games were so bizarre in the 4th.
And my favorite attended after the ‘91 game was the rain game in Tally when they cheered Harvins getting hurt

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And my favorite attended after the ‘91 game was the rain game in Tally when they cheered Harvins getting hurt
Speaking of getting hurt hows your head after Saturday?
Confused What Happened GIF by Google

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
35-3 in ‘81 was fun!

But has to be ‘97. I was bartending at Sun Dog in Neptune Beach the night before. Me and a college friend got our Saturday shifts covered and left in his Westphalia at 2:30 AM after closing the bar that night. We had no tickets and no worries as we parked the van in grass next to Murphy Hall just NE of the stadium. We scalped tickets for $10 a piece for seats under the “Work’em Silly” banner. Fred went nuts and Quezzie made the catch. The rest history!

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I wasn't at the '97 or '91 games, it must've been glorious to witness those games in person. I was at the '01 game, Spurriers last victory in the Swamp as our coach. I remember that was the first time in my life that Bowden and the Fsu machine showed signs of slowing down. Late in the game when the game was in hand, I can remember ( at least in my section) the crowd was singing 6-4 ( or maybe it was 7-4) to the sound of the war chant, which was still being played by the Fsu band constantly it seemed. Then my next favorite memory that I was in person to see was the '05 game, blocked FG for a TD was wild. I was hoping so bad that we'd keep the shutout on them, but they scored with like 5 minutes to go. After this game, you just felt like we were going to start dominating them like I hadn't seen in my life, and we did.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I'm so fortunate. Was at both 91 and 97 game and loved them both. The audacity of SOS to alternate QB's every play in 97 made it the most unique I ever witnessed!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I really meant to welcome comments about any favorite Noles-Gators matchup at the Swamp, not just the ones mentioned in the OP. Those were just a couple that came immediately to mind.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My first Gator game in person. Debut of the Pell orange jerseys and a bull**** call on an onside kick recovery that sealed it for them. I was 9.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My first Gator game in person. Debut of the Pell orange jerseys and a bull**** call on an onside kick recovery that sealed it for them. I was 9.

Bingo!

We began the year with this helmet.

1e2c983d3b717e911ecd1fcf1f6df66c.jpg

We unveiled this helmet at the FSU game.

cc45c2eca77cb79a491e50825e26077f.jpg

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
97 for sure. There's a reason it's called the greatest game ever played in the swamp.

That night some kids in my neighborhood flipped over a Honda CRV that had the misfortune to have a null license plate. Good times.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I remember the 89 home game, last for Emmitt at Florida Field. Blue jerseys for first time since 1979.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator