Felipe Franks - "I'm going there to start."

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We will also be upgrading from a RB that didn't have the ceiling we hoped for (KT) and a pair of freshman up to next year having a solid JUCO, two sophmores with a year of the program under their belt, and another freshman or two rated as high as last year's duo. Offense overall should be better than this past year.
KT has 985 yds with an avg of 4.0 yds/carry and 13 tds. So he will in all likelihood have a 1,000 yard season behind a **** line. I'm extremely proud of the young man

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we don't go after Haskins. I get the feeling the recruits are making him a Jacoby situation.

Besides, I think Allen coming in 2017 will be the answer

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You never know. Spring Practice, summer workouts, and fall practice is a LONG time.

High school coaching is hit or miss. You are usually going to get a raw talent especially at QB.

Yup. I read an article stating that he doesn't have a QB coach at his high school (which many don't) but he also doesn't have a private QB coach like Eason and many of the other top talent HS QB's have these days. The article stated that Franks, in many ways, has been self taught. Pretty impressive kid.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I hope we don't go after Haskins. I get the feeling the recruits are making him a Jacoby situation.

I agree. I was ok with targeting Eason because he is almost a slam dunk to be a great QB, not to mention the zero sum game element of stealing him from uga. But I don't feel that way with any of these other '16 QBs that we're in the running for. And at some point, you do start to create a log jam at QB based on years. I say stick with what we have and put full focus on keeping Allen. He and/or Franks are the future for us. We're in a jam, no doubt. But outside of a Juco/transfer, there's no short term solution, and loading up in one year's class isn't the answer imo.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014

Agree. I know we need a great qb, but I have never been a huge fan of two top ranked qbs in the same class. Too much revolves around the entire offense getting around and becoming comfortable with one player. From reps, to leadership, to continuity, we just need to get our one top qb per class and have the other guys behind him develop and learn the offense. I would much rather take my chances with starting one guy who has the offense down, even if he has a lower ceiling. Give him almost all of the reps with the ones in the spring and fall (obviously talking about Del Rio here), and letting him focus on the nuances of the offense, rather than working with the twos half the time and worrying about the depth chart.

Position battles are much more effective for every other position because they are a lot less cerebral and push the other players at their position to play with more effort. QB is far less about effort on the field than it is about repetition and recognition. Effort for them is in the film room and playbook study. For example, D Rob was outdone by a true freshman this year. I would say overall their talent level is pretty close, but Callaway always brought the right attitude and wanted to turn every play into a score. D Rob would catch, see if his first juke worked, and ran out of bounds if it didn't. Tabor made it a point this year to be recognized as at least an equal of VH3. He joked about him being better because if he gets the ball he is looking to score every time (and damn near did).

The big thing is the competing players above can still see the field at the same time, whereas only one qb does. Where it does show up though, is the attitude and overall performance from the position guys if their favored qb is on the bench. A lot of that is the remaining WM stank on some of these guys and the difference in mentality that Mac brings. After Grier was suspended, I never saw the same effort from D Rob that I did from him in the Ole Miss game. Callaway produced for both qbs. Outside of maybe the UK game two years back, we all noticed how all the players appeared to play harder for Treon ( :bananawave: Westbrook) than they did for Driskel. I understood their frustration, but handling it how they did played into our current qb situation.

From what I hear, Del Rio will be more than capable of leading this offense next year. Assuming he can make it through the year without getting injured or doing something stupid off of the field, I don't want to see Franks at any point in the season. With our current state at QB, if Del Rio misses time at qb, we may as well throw an under developed Trask in or even Guy in there and see if they can pull a win or two off. Franks needs to be left out of it and groomed for the future, and likewise with Allen and any future star qb, until they are fully ready. Once we have a few years of this rotation going, we will be in really good shape. Until then, we get to deal with the hand we have, hope for the best, and look forward to once again being able to reload rather than rebuild.

That is all.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just ask Sumlin what it is like pulling in two top QB's in the same class.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I subscribe to the Spurrier method of QB development. Whoever slings it around best in pre-game warmups, starts.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I think Mac will let Treon go out as starter by playing him against MeatChicken the whole game as he's done the whole year. He will suck again for 4 qtrs and torpedo any chance we have, as usual, but at least then the Harris experiment will be over with. If there is a God.
The definition of insanity...

Welcome aboard Mr. Franks!!!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

We need all we can get

Gator98MD

Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2014
I hope the experiment does end but i worry
Mac seems to have a perverse loyalty to treon at least in public. This better be his last game as qb
I think Mac will let Treon go out as starter by playing him against MeatChicken the whole game as he's done the whole year. He will suck again for 4 qtrs and torpedo any chance we have, as usual, but at least then the Harris experiment will be over with. If there is a God.
The definition of insanity...

Welcome aboard Mr. Franks!!!

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope the experiment does end but i worry
Mac seems to have a perverse loyalty to treon at least in public. This better be his last game as qb
Are you paying attention? Mac started Treon in game 1 for a reason. It's not because he thought TH was remotely better than WG. It was obvious to all of us that this was not the case. I'm sure Mac knew better. But he obviously trusted Treon over Grier. TH is a guy that had been arrested, accused and implicated in wrongdoing since he's been in Hogtown. However, Mac realizes that Grier was on a worse path. They'll both be gone next year and the Gators will better for it

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Franks will be rooming with Tyler Jordan. I guess they want their future QB to get close to their future center. :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator