Film Reviews - what have you seen lately, what did you think?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I tried to get through the first aqua man movie this past weekend, couldn't do it. It's more garbage than that one?
Yeah, I saw about 15 minutes of the first one when it came out. If the first sucks, then the second always swallows.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I tried to get through the first aqua man movie this past weekend, couldn't do it. It's more garbage than that one?
Buddy, it's Aquaman... AQUAMAN!! He was the stupidest idea for a superhero 50 years ago. I mean, I remember thinking as a kid, "What? Does the Justice League REALLY need this guy? How da fuk does he even get to the Hall of Justice, the sewer?"

I mean, I wouldn't watch it even with Amber Heard (I have a "no Amber the minute she went Depp" rule).

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Dude, global warming machines.

Its amazing how screwed up DC movies are. They have arguably the most famous 2 comic characters and can't figure it out. I have no hope for James Gunn to magically fix it unless they get back to the source material and stop trying to outwoke Marvel. EMO Batman isn't helping them either.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Buddy, it's Aquaman... AQUAMAN!! He was the stupidest idea for a superhero 50 years ago. I mean, I remember thinking as a kid, "What? Does the Justice League REALLY need this guy? How da fuk does he even get to the Hall of Justice, the sewer?"

I mean, I wouldn't watch it even with Amber Heard (I have a "no Amber the minute she went Depp" rule).
I don't know what they did, but she looked weird throughout the movie with her face changing sizes constantly from skinny to chunky. Not sure if they were trying to do "water" affects or purposely did her dirty.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Gundala (2019) <Prime>

IMDB: Indonesia's preeminent comic book superhero and his alter ego Sancaka enter the cinematic universe to battle the wicked Pengkor and his diabolical squad of orphan assassins.

TLB: Do not see this film. Staring at shadows on the wall will be more fulfilling. If you did NOT know ahead of time that this was an origin story, one for both our hero Gundala but also for the network of villains he has faced in Indonesian comic books for over 50 years...you would walk away thinking this was a mess (it was).

The good - first act is his childhood, well acted by the small kid and sets the stage for his issues with lightening, general labor and corruption issues in Indonesia, etc. Second act we bring in the villains, primarily Pengkor (kudos to the guy doing this role very well) as a mafia kingpin. The bad I won't knock too hard given this is comic book material, from Indonesia no less. But the third act involves Gundala (Clark Kent name is Sancaka) reluctantly embracing his powers and fighting for rightiousness and justice as Pengkor's plan to corrupt a generation is unleashed. Plot line is Pengkor poisoned the rice supply and all pregnant women will give birth to a generation without morals. Yes, I said 'no morals'. Gundala works with the good guys of gov't to quickly mass produce a vaccine for the pregnant women, only to discover Pengkor poisoned that as well...some get the shot before this is realized, which opens us up to future villains in this comic book universe. The ugly - third act has Gundala getting his butt kicked and some rando woman with a scarf zaps the bad guys and saves him, then disappears. We see her at the end in a cutaway scene that reveals she is Sri Asih, another super hero he teams with in the comics (and got her own movie in 2022...no, I won't watch that either). Also ugly - closing scenes show us another bad guy kingpin (not Pengkor) who returns a head to a long buried body and awakens an ancient evil being who will presumably be the arch enemy across future sequels. There is no explanation really given on this last minute addition of characters, other than this origin film is setting up future options.

Action scenes were minimal, but used the actors and were done in 1 take most times. CGI is ok, not over the top. Characters you got to know pretty well with Gundala and Pengkor and we get to understand and relate to their personalities, their drivers. The first tier of supporting cast aren't overly presented and do their part for the plot well enough. Overall story telling was decent for getting a new superhero to the screen and setting up sequel options based on villains. But the second half of the film gets a little hectic, exposing a ton of plot holes (I get it, it's a comic book, but some of these things are inexcusable). Then the random characters introduced at the end is irriating - necessary for sequels but do nothing for this film other than distract.

Final: 1.5/10. Kudos for being an Indonesian made film, and the fight scenes (very few, but decent) were on par. But overall, no, can't recommend this. I can only see this appealing to fans of Indonesian comics (I'm not one, don't know any).

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Dune: Part Two (2024) <Theater - IMAX>

IMDB: Paul Atreides unites with Chani and the Fremen while seeking revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family.

TLB: Fist part was 2.5h and I said it moved slow at times but didn't really drag. This one was 2.75h, also kinda slow without dragging. However, I was warned ahead of time that the first part was setting up the foundation, and he second was trying like hell to pack a massive amount in...so maybe it might go to fast thru some things or start feeling a bit in a blender. Yes, a lot happened, but it dodn't feel too fast or choppy - long but kept you with it, staying on pace and on track.

From the first part: House Harkonnen was pulled off managing the spice planet by the emporer and House Atreides was put in place - not as a gift/reward, but to set them up to be slaughtered (Emporer felt they were getting too much sway politically). Part one closed with the (nearly) entire House Atreides wiped out and Harkonnens coming back in with some backup by the emporer. Paul Atreides (Timothée Chalamet), son of the slain duke, escapes to the spice planet natives (Fermen) with his mother (part of the Bene Gesserit sect who serve as advisors throughout the empire, while guiding their own agenda of controlling the house heads). Paul was being rumored by the Fremen as their possible messiah, his mother is pushing him to be THE prophecized being of their sect, and he resists both wanting to just be a fighter among the Fremen.

Part two he emerges, accepting his role in the universe and taking the mantle of messiah for the Fremen. Part two is his coming to terms with this and what it means, his initial love with a Fremen native (Zendaya) and eventually having to drop her due to political reasons as he takes on his fated role. We have the big fight between Fremen and Harkonnen, and call the emporer down to the surface (nice cameo by Christopher Walken, but man is he getting/looking oooollllld). Film concludes with Paul taking the emporers position, but all the other houses don't accept it so we close with the Fremen leaving the planet to set those other houses straight on who is the boss. Or, in other words, the opening book is finished and there are others in the printed series lined up to be made into movies - not sure if this film making group will do so, the 1984 attempt did not follow up.

Overall, very good cast with lots of new characters brought into Part two (and a few older ones resurface). Chalamet was perfect for the role, able to carry the young duke's son as he transitions into a man, and ultimately a leader. Good writing of interplay with various subplots (Fremen with thier messiah complex, Bene Gesserit with their prophecy and internal power struggles, and of course some fuedal blood line issues), but the main story of Paul's ascendency remains always front and center and is executed well throughout. My only complaint would be a bit of the blood line issues tangling things up in the end, but I suppose that is setting up sequels. Mostly though, I am pleased with the overall delivery after enjoying part one so much - the magestic vistas, the story telling, the characters you actually care about, etc. All kept on mark.

Final: 8.0/10. While the first one intended to 'wow' the audience, the second was definitely deeper and in doing so it was a little bumpy. Both could have been shorter, but the length doesn't kill you like other films would.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Gundala (2019) <Prime>

IMDB: Indonesia's preeminent comic book superhero and his alter ego Sancaka enter the cinematic universe to battle the wicked Pengkor and his diabolical squad of orphan assassins.

TLB: Do not see this film. Staring at shadows on the wall will be more fulfilling. If you did NOT know ahead of time that this was an origin story, one for both our hero Gundala but also for the network of villains he has faced in Indonesian comic books for over 50 years...you would walk away thinking this was a mess (it was).

The good - first act is his childhood, well acted by the small kid and sets the stage for his issues with lightening, general labor and corruption issues in Indonesia, etc. Second act we bring in the villains, primarily Pengkor (kudos to the guy doing this role very well) as a mafia kingpin. The bad I won't knock too hard given this is comic book material, from Indonesia no less. But the third act involves Gundala (Clark Kent name is Sancaka) reluctantly embracing his powers and fighting for rightiousness and justice as Pengkor's plan to corrupt a generation is unleashed. Plot line is Pengkor poisoned the rice supply and all pregnant women will give birth to a generation without morals. Yes, I said 'no morals'. Gundala works with the good guys of gov't to quickly mass produce a vaccine for the pregnant women, only to discover Pengkor poisoned that as well...some get the shot before this is realized, which opens us up to future villains in this comic book universe. The ugly - third act has Gundala getting his butt kicked and some rando woman with a scarf zaps the bad guys and saves him, then disappears. We see her at the end in a cutaway scene that reveals she is Sri Asih, another super hero he teams with in the comics (and got her own movie in 2022...no, I won't watch that either). Also ugly - closing scenes show us another bad guy kingpin (not Pengkor) who returns a head to a long buried body and awakens an ancient evil being who will presumably be the arch enemy across future sequels. There is no explanation really given on this last minute addition of characters, other than this origin film is setting up future options.

Action scenes were minimal, but used the actors and were done in 1 take most times. CGI is ok, not over the top. Characters you got to know pretty well with Gundala and Pengkor and we get to understand and relate to their personalities, their drivers. The first tier of supporting cast aren't overly presented and do their part for the plot well enough. Overall story telling was decent for getting a new superhero to the screen and setting up sequel options based on villains. But the second half of the film gets a little hectic, exposing a ton of plot holes (I get it, it's a comic book, but some of these things are inexcusable). Then the random characters introduced at the end is irriating - necessary for sequels but do nothing for this film other than distract.

Final: 1.5/10. Kudos for being an Indonesian made film, and the fight scenes (very few, but decent) were on par. But overall, no, can't recommend this. I can only see this appealing to fans of Indonesian comics (I'm not one, don't know any).
It always makes me smile that you'll put as much effort into this "1.5" as you do for an "8" for Dune 2.

I think you're fully prepared and ready to enter the world of "IMDB Reviewer Douchebaggery"! (but I don't see your reviews like that, I appreciate them).

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
The granddaughter is getting a little older and we can now almost sit through an entire movie- so…
We watched two surprisingly good movies-

Inside Out (I believe the sequel comes out this summer) - very funny, especially if you have a daughter.

And believe it or not- the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2023 version) was actually very good as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The granddaughter is getting a little older and we can now almost sit through an entire movie- so…
We watched two surprisingly good movies-

Inside Out (I believe the sequel comes out this summer) - very funny, especially if you have a daughter.

And believe it or not- the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2023 version) was actually very good as well.
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from 2023 was a lot better than I expected. But having that 90's music and feel helped out a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.