Film Room: OL Impressive vs. LSU

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a pretty good write up w/ film/footage a few of the running & passing plays vs. LSU.

I just gotta ask: how did we only gain 12 yards vs. Arkansas? They are the worst rushing defense in the SEC!!

https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/film-room-floridas-offensive-line-impressive-in-lsu-win

Film Room: Florida’s offensive line impressive in LSU win

Florida’s defense will rightly get the bulk of the credit for a gritty win in Baton Rouge on Saturday.

But don’t ignore the Gators’ offensive line, which put in as good performance as it has this year, taking the battle to LSU’s exceptional defensive front.

“We played with a purpose, played the way we needed to play, and it wasn’t pretty,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said in his postgame press conference.

It didn’t need to be.

Against Dave Aranda’a multiple 3-4 defense, the Gators were overmatched physically. Aranda’s two-gap system demands its three down lineman to clog lanes, occupies offensive linemen and allows its linebackers to go to work, thundering downhill, shooting gaps and covering sideline to sideline unblocked.

That style, coupled with exceptional athletes at linebacker, makes it difficult for a team to run laterally on the Tigers. They almost demand that a team runs directly at them.

“I thought we put a dent in those guys,” McElwain said after the 16-10 upset win.

Although the group was beat up, missing two starters — Cam Dillard and Antonio Riles, along with two others playing through ankle injuries, David Sharpe and Tyler Jordan — the Gators were able to generate some push in the run game.

Florida’s line has disappointed for most of the year. For as big and athletic as the Gators’ linemen are (with improved depth from a year ago), they’ve struggled to consistently create a push in the running game, even when facing much inferior opponents.

However, the interior of the line, featuring third-string center TJ McCoy, took it right at the LSU.

“I think we’ve started to play aggressive up front and finish,” McElwain said during his Monday media availability.

Early in the game on fourth-and-short, McElwain opted to run directly behind his freshman center. Like all short-yardage situations, it’s about firing off the ball with aggression and playing with low pads. The left side of the line was able to collapse the line and open a big enough lane for running back Jordan Scarlett to extend the early drive.

Gators4thAndShort_hxlyx0.gif

Each member of the interior was able to play with a good pad level and overpower a down lineman at the point of attack, with two double-teams walling off the inside.

GatorsLowPads_osrwgd.png

Those combination blocks were key, winning at the first level, then climbing onto a linebacker, helping turn a two- or three-yard gain into a five- or six-yard one. McCoy again was at his best working with each guard, sealing off the inside and allowing each guard to climb.

Here, backed up in their own end zone, they were able to convert on an invaluable short-yardage situation.

GatorsShortYardageBlocking_ugwpfs.gif

Like the previous play, it’s a straight inside handoff, using zone blocking and a series of combination blocks. At the snap, the Gators win the line of scrimmage, walling off all three LSU down linemen with three double-teams and sticking an edge rusher with another double-team.

GatorsCombinationBlocks_j4lbxk.png

From there, McCoy and tight end C’yontai Lewis were able to get just enough on the two LSU linebackers thundering downhill to give Scarlett room to pick up a first down.

GatorsGettingJustEnough_c9q8d2.png

On a zone run, the decision-making is put into the hands of the running back, who is tasked with finding daylight and hitting it rather than being required to run to a specific gap. Scarlett followed the McCoy and left guard Martez Ivey double-team, giving the offense some breathing room.

The run game really got going when the Gators started utilizing more gap and movement elements. Ivey played a pivotal role pulling and moving to create a big push along the right side of the line.

Ivey is a very good athlete for someone of his size and does a good job correctly identifying the right defender at the second level.

Here, midway through the second quarter, Florida began to get its concepts rolling but were unable to take advantage. It was a simple gap play with the window dressing of a receiver ghost motion. With the left side of the line down blocking and Ivey pulling around the corner and taking on a linebacker at the point of attack, the running back followed him through the hole.

The O-line did its job. First, the left side of the line was able to flip and turn LSU’s front, opening a big hole for Ivey to pull through.

GapBlock1_sotxl3.png

Ivey moved to the second level and was able to stick onto a linebacker.

GapBlock3_yewbzj.png

Yet, the play resulted in no gain. Scarlett ran to the wrong hole, running into the crowd of bodies rather than following Ivey through the hole.

JordanScarlettMissedOpportunity_vovotf.gif

McElwain, like all good coaches, saw the concept work but the execution fail. So, he came back to it over and over again.

On this first down run, the Gators used a similar concept. Again, they employed similar window dressing as they did with the first run. Each lineman then down blocked, collapsing the left side of the line, and Ivey pulled to the right side.

This time, Ivey pulled right along the formation, rather than running a simple power play in which he displaced the right guard.

MartezIveyPull_cdp0r8.png

Ivey reached the second level and sealed off a linebacker. Importantly, he was able to flip his hips, driving the linebacker toward the sideline rather than just up the field.

IveySealsOffDefender_kmxjeb.png

Scarlett followed Ivey through the hole and went untouched for 8 yards. He was then able to create another couple of yards after contact. It was quality scheming and good execution.

GatorsPower2_okd51p.gif

That run game allowed Florida to control the clock and shorten the game. But when the Gators were eventually forced to throw it, the line held its own against a ferocious LSU pass rush.

LSU’s front ranks 25th in the nation in havoc rate. It does so largely because of sophomore superstar Arden Key.

Aranda uses Key all over the defensive formation, giving offenses fits with their blocking schemes: Where is he and where do they slide the protection? That becomes particularly difficult when you have a freshman making the line calls in just his second game as a starter.

LSU’s defensive coordinator came after the young center in the first half, mentally and physically. Early in the second quarter, he used a split front (two down linemen playing as three techniques and widening the front), with Key lined up directly over McCoy inside.

LSUSplitFrontLBBlitz_zhcaml.png

McCoy couldn’t handle Key, who made an immediate pursuit into the backfield. Scarlett whiffed on his protection (he should have been chipping Key), forcing quarterback Austin Appleby to bail out of the pocket.

ArdenKeyPressure_gsqjnn.gif

Aranda came back with a similar look later in the game. But this time he put a different linebacker directly over McCoy and attempted to confuse the young center by having Key stunt inside of the right defensive end.

ArdenKeyStunt_b4gyix.gif

McCoy received inside help from right guard Frederick Johnson, who was unable to hand off the inside linebacker and pick up Key.

ArdenKeyStunt3_khme0j.png

Florida ended up double-teaming two LSU pass rushers, giving a free lane to its most dangerous player. Key flushed Appleby from the pocket and the quarterback had to throw away the ball.

Despite that protection bust, the line held up fairly well against the different array of pressure packages that Aranda used. Individual matchups were a bigger struggle. Left tackle David Sharpe’s ankle injury clearly hampered his explosiveness and he was routinely beaten out of the blocks by Key, with Key getting to the quarterback unblocked on multiple occasions.

Overall, it was a very impressive performance from a young group that has struggled with injuries and has been called out by its own coach.

“Our offensive line was challenged. It was called out,” McElwain said immediately following the victory.

The group responded, providing its best performance of the season.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The LSU game was the most impressive our line has looked in over two years. The line came to play.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Good stuff! I love McCoy blowing up the defender in the first GIF. He got off the ball fast and destroyed him. Wow!

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
we got 12 yds vs arky because someone (cough - Nuss - cough) thought it was a good idea to let noodle arm - aka Del Puto - attempt to sling the rock. smh.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully they continue to improve as a unit. We'll need another solid performance Saturday to get the win.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great provide, BMF. Thank you, sir.

Nuss' offensive plan vs Arkansas shows that he's irredeemable. Plus, once LDR showed the plan's
ineffectiveness, any decent OC would have inserted plan B. ??

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great thread. With the breakdown like this really shows the push the OL was getting. If there is a Most Improved part to this team it has to be the OL. McCoy and Taylor have been great additions to step up after injuries. Looks like this unit is starting to gel.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Nothing would be more satisfying than them absolutely mauling FSU. Will have to wait and see, but it would be nice.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I hope we rattle the crap out of their QB and contain the woman beater.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
As long as the OL continues to show that type of improvement, I can accept this year as being a "rebuilding" year. Give us a smart QB with a good arm and our O should really become more productive.

Side note: someone needs to send this article to Leatherwood!

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Good stuff! I love McCoy blowing up the defender in the first GIF. He got off the ball fast and destroyed him. Wow!
He's the main reason we've been able to run the ball the past couple of weeks. He's getting under people then blowing them off the ball and that's something Dillard/Jordan hasn't been able to do. To be honest if those 2 get healthy they shouldn't be inserted back into the starting lineup this yr (unless someone goes down) because the combination we currently have is getting sh*t done!

Sep 29, 2015
To be honest if those 2 get healthy they shouldn't be inserted back into the starting lineup this yr (unless someone goes down) because the combination we currently have is getting sh*t done!

Watching these GIFs of McCoy annihilating the nose lined up over him on the running plays, it would be coaching malpractice to give the job back to Jordan (ok at guard) or Dillard. Unless this is an aberration, McCoy will be our starting center the next 4 years.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Watching these GIFs of McCoy annihilating the nose lined up over him on the running plays, it would be coaching malpractice to give the job back to Jordan (ok at guard) or Dillard. Unless this is an aberration, McCoy will be our starting center the next 4 years.
I agree...no f'ing way either of those 2 should ever take another snap at Center unless it's because of injury.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is a great article. Click on it and show the dude some love.

Heard good things about McCoy but you never know til they get on the field. The fact that the young man bleeds orange and blue makes it that much better.

Imagine being that LB and looking up to see Ivey coming through the gap at you. Ivey still struggles at pass pro but he is the man on running plays.

Having extra bodies means the guys can push each other also. That's always a good thing.

I'm hoping do see a great improvement from the SECG to the bowl game. Really hoping to see it this time.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
TJ has played above freshman expectations, it's been great.

But I still ask, among the staff, is there any credit to be given for an improved line? It is coaching fault not to recognize talent and move it up to the starting position (maybe the situation provided motivation required for TJ, I dunno). But, there ought to be some coaching credit for having TJ ready to go, for adjusting the line(up) and calling plays the kids can execute and that they are executing well.....shouldn't there?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know this is about the line but on that Perine beast run I enjoyed watching Powell running along blocking would-be tacklers off of him.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Imagine being that LB and looking up to see Ivey coming through the gap at you.

Law, I have not seen Ivey come that clean when pulling down the line all year. I think McCoy has alot to do with this. The kid can pick up blockers and allow others to do their job. Ivey was coming clean like a Mack Truck down I-75.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I know this is about the line but on that Perine beast run I enjoyed watching Powell running along blocking would-be tacklers off of him.

Right Zam. Powell does all he can. In highlight films, when another WR catches the ball, from far off Powell
comes flying in to assist with a block. But the play you spoke of was "cute". It looked as if Powell smartly
looked around for a bigger Gator to fit-push in that spot; not seeing one he instantly started boring in. Besides
being an all-Gator fiery player, I think he is a smart, quick thinker. I wish we could get him the ball more frequently
for his and everybody's reward. He so fervently wants Gators to be tops.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Right Zam. Powell does all he can. In highlight films, when another WR catches the ball, from far off Powell
comes flying in to assist with a block. But the play you spoke of was "cute". It looked as if Powell smartly
looked around for a bigger Gator to fit-push in that spot; not seeing one he instantly started boring in. Besides
being an all-Gator fiery player, I think he is a smart, quick thinker. I wish we could get him the ball more frequently
for his and everybody's reward. He so fervently wants Gators to be tops.
If Powell never does another good thing here he will go down in history for his efforts in the Tennessee game last year, including springing Callaway on that big TD play blocking both Vol defenders that had a shot at the tackle.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The Powell blocking is great! He's 5 foot nothing and giving up his body to help the play. You gotta love it. And honestly, if we had an above average QB and OL, I think Powell would excel in this offense. He's fast enough to break plays and have YAC. He's just not getting the opportunities due to the poor execution of our passing game.....and McElwain going w/ LDR too long.

TJ has played above freshman expectations, it's been great.

But I still ask, among the staff, is there any credit to be given for an improved line? It is coaching fault not to recognize talent and move it up to the starting position (maybe the situation provided motivation required for TJ, I dunno). But, there ought to be some coaching credit for having TJ ready to go, for adjusting the line(up) and calling plays the kids can execute and that they are executing well.....shouldn't there?

I agree w/ you on the staff. Letting McCoy rot away on the bench is a clear indication that Summers is not the right OL coach for this program. He needs to go, not only due to his poor coaching but his poor recruiting. This program needs a younger, more energetic, high-energy OL coach that can not only coach, but recruit w/ the likes of Bama & Ohio State.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator