Film Room: OL Impressive vs. LSU

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This is a great article. Click on it and show the dude some love.

This guy did a break down of our DL getting their asses handed to them by Arkansas also. If you watch, it's disgusting. Our LBs got killed due to our DL getting manhandled by Arkansas' OL.

This is why I'm concerned about the Fool's Gold w/ this team's record, especially if we beat FSU. I'm very happy we're 8-2, but there are serious problems w/ this team (mostly on offense....but read this article and you'll see we have serious problems on this side of the ball also):

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/how-florida-lost-line-scrimmage-arkansas

Florida’s defensive front suffered a beatdown in Fayetteville last week.

The group, which features as much talent and depth as anywhere in the SEC, was manhandled at the point-of-attack and lost its discipline when rushing the passer.

On the ground, the group struggled to handle the different variety of gap concepts and line movement that the Razorbacks throw at an opponent. “We were pushed around,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said in the postgame press conference. That’s true. Arkansas looked and played more physical. But the Gators also lacked discipline and technique, all too often losing contain, taking poor angles, and over-pursuing.

Arkansas’ line set the tone early in the first quarter. Led by the SEC’s best center Frank Ragnow, the Razorbacks unloaded their entire package of sweep and counter plays.

On a second-down play, Ragnow and Brian Wallace (right tackle) pulled to the perimeter to out-leverage the Florida defense for a 16-yard gain.

ArkansasRun1_vcnny0.gif

A down block sprung Ragnow, who was able to get out in space and take on a linebacker. Ragnow made an initial block before flipping his hips to drive the linebacker back toward the middle of the field. Wallace kicked out, opening up a huge running lane for Devwah Whaley to pick up the first down.

RagnowBlock1_w08s79.png

Both Florida linebackers played with poor leverage. Jarrad Davis allowed Ragnow to control his pads and turn him inside, opening up a crease. In that spot, Alex Anzalone has to realize that, and dive inside on his block rather than try to control the edge.

ArkansasBlock1_bmv4zy.png

Had Anzalone read the inside block, he could have forced Whaley to bounce the run to the outside. Instead, he contributed to opening up a cavernous running lane.

Even when Florida’s defensive line was in position to make plays, it missed.

Here, Taven Bryan beats the left guard off the snap and crashes into the backfield. Rather than sink down, or read the backfield, he over-pursues and gifts a running lane.

GatorsRunDefenseDiscipline_jqnqld.gif

There was a similar lack of discipline against the pass. Outside of their clear physical talent, Florida’s pass-rushers have been impressive with their rush-lane discipline all season. They do a fantastic job of keeping the quarterback in front of them, balancing the line, and playing with quality leverage. They abandoned that far too often on Saturday.

Arkansas constantly moves the launching point for quarterback Austin Allen. It mixes the rhythm of his dropbacks, rolls him out, and uses a lot of pocket movement within a play-action game. That forces defenses to remain disciplined with their eyes; first locating the quarterback, then containing and compressing the pocket.

The golden rule for a pass-rusher is never to get stuck behind the quarterback. Getting too deep in the pocket forces an edge-rusher to loop, where the offensive tackle simply can guide the rusher around the edge and the quarterback can step up to avoid any pressure.

Maintaining depth and eye discipline are as critical as any physical trait. Against mobile quarterbacks, pass-rushers are usually more cognizant of their rush lanes. But it’s equally important against a drop-back system like the Arkansas’. With the launch point constantly changing, pass-rushers need to adjust their targets.

Early in the game, on a second-and-long, Allen takes a deep 7-step drop off play-action. Florida defensive end Cece Jefferson — going up against Arkansas left tackle Dan Skipper — fails to convert speed-to-power and loses the initial fight. As he continues to work, Skipper simply guides him around the corner, with Allen stepping up into a clean pocket to avoid any pressure off the edge.

GatorsRush1_dghmht.png

Skipper forced Jefferson to “run the loop” and the pass-rusher ended up 8-yards deep in the backfield.

GatorsRushDiscipline_i7sdjm.gif

The issue plagued each member of Florida’s edge-rushing rotation in the first half. And the group failed to make any adjustments in the second half either, particularly struggling against play-action.

On a third-and-forever play, this time it’s Bryan Cox who gets too much depth rushing the passer.

GatorsRushDiscipline3_txhyw3.gif

Not only does he end up 4-5 yards behind Austin Allen as he releases the ball, he makes initial contact with the right tackle while he’s off-balance.

GatorsRush3_nkmekl.png

Throughout the game, Arkansas widened the pocket. And without enough interior pressure, Florida was relying on its edge-rushers to collapse the pocket from the outside-in.

Losing the physicality contest often annoys coaches the most (McElwain’s postgame comments confirm that). But the lack of fundamental techniques and discipline will be just as concerning to McElwain and his staff.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Better believe FSU and Bama will watch that tape and prepare a similar approach. Both their QBs are fully capable of hurting us in the same way. Etling wasn't nearly the same sort of threat. Hope our guys learned some serious lessons from that beatdown.

Sep 29, 2015
The Powell blocking is great! He's 5 foot nothing and giving up his body to help the play. You gotta love it. And honestly, if we had an above average QB and OL, I think Powell would excel in this offense. He's fast enough to break plays and have YAC. He's just not getting the opportunities due to the poor execution of our passing game.....and McElwain going w/ LDR too long.

If he wasn't a gator, Powell seems like the guy who would be featured by a Kentucky or Vandy carving up our defense in a losing effort. A great gator no doubt.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If he wasn't a gator, Powell seems like the guy who would be featured by a Kentucky or Vandy carving up our defense in a losing effort. A great gator no doubt.

Yep, Kentucky has TWO 1,000 yard rushers!

This just highlights why "star" HS players don't want to play in this offense. It needs to get fixed, asap!

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Powell blocking is great! He's 5 foot nothing and giving up his body to help the play. You gotta love it. And honestly, if we had an above average QB and OL, I think Powell would excel in this offense. He's fast enough to break plays and have YAC. He's just not getting the opportunities due to the poor execution of our passing game.....and McElwain going w/ LDR too long.

I agree w/ you on the staff. Letting McCoy rot away on the bench is a clear indication that Summers is not the right OL coach for this program. He needs to go, not only due to his poor coaching but his poor recruiting. This program needs a younger, more energetic, high-energy OL coach that can not only coach, but recruit w/ the likes of Bama & Ohio State.
I don't disagree that Summers needs to go bc of recruiting, but you can't say that he is a poor coach. Who else prepared McCoy to be ready? Give some credit where it's due

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't disagree that Summers needs to go bc of recruiting, but you can't say that he is a poor coach. Who else prepared McCoy to be ready? Give some credit where it's due

Dude, he had the kid sitting on the bench rotting away. He's a terrible coach. If you don't agree, go look at our OL. That should convince you. I'm sure even Summers is shocked at McCoy's performance, because he sure didn't see it in practice.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, he had the kid sitting on the bench rotting away. He's a terrible coach. If you don't agree, go look at our OL. That should convince you. I'm sure even Summers is shocked at McCoy's performance, because he sure didn't see it in practice.
Rotting away? Let's not get histrionic about it. The kid is a redshirt freshman, he's not a 3rd or 4th year player

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Rotting away? Let's not get histrionic about it. The kid is a redshirt freshman, he's not a 3rd or 4th year player

No one's getting "histrionic". Are you still going to argue Summers is the coach we need to lead our OL? That's my point. Nothing more, nothing less. And yes, he was rotting away having played a couple of downs all year....when he was/is clearly better than the TWO other's Summer's chose to play in front of him. If he's not playing, he's getting splinters in his ass. Call it what you want. This is a case of playing the more senior player vs. the better player - regardless of the class/year. I'll go on record as saying Summers needs to go. You can go on record as saying he's a good OL coach. I haven't forgotten the 12 yards we gained vs. the worst rushing defense in the SEC just 3 weeks ago. You obviously have....

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
No one's getting "histrionic". Are you still going to argue Summers is the coach we need to lead our OL? That's my point. Nothing more, nothing less. And yes, he was rotting away having played a couple of downs all year....when he was/is clearly better than the TWO other's Summer's chose to play in front of him. If he's not playing, he's getting splinters in his ass. Call it what you want. This is a case of playing the more senior player vs. the better player - regardless of the class/year. I'll go on record as saying Summers needs to go. You can go on record as saying he's a good OL coach. I haven't forgotten the 12 yards we gained vs. the worst rushing defense in the SEC just 3 weeks ago. You obviously have....
Yeah you're totally too emotional about this. Read my first post. Yes he should go and yes, he has also shown the ability to make chicken salad out if chicken s***

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree w/ you on the staff. Letting McCoy rot away on the bench is a clear indication that Summers is not the right OL coach for this program. He needs to go, not only due to his poor coaching but his poor recruiting. This program needs a younger, more energetic, high-energy OL coach that can not only coach, but recruit w/ the likes of Bama & Ohio State.

The degree of Summers' stupidity is pronounced when we think of a very competent player not even
getting a chance to spell his teammate as well as giving some depth to our serviceable OL.??

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Seems like the O just starting to click in the second half. Although they only scored the one TD, the O was actually tun to watch for those final 30 minutes. In fact, I would say the 2H at LSU was the most fun I've had watching a Gator game in a long time.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The OL played excellent in the second half but, I still have major concerns about Nussmeier. Without the 98 yard pass we have just under 200 yards of offense. We are at 102 in Total Offense again. I don't think we have ever been in the top 50 in Total Offense under Mac.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As long as Nusschamp is here, we will still be Champin.

He was Champin years before he came here.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Line is improving greatly, but looking at the total yardage separations for a few games, there is much work to do. D certainly came up big on the key plays to save our arse.

Go Gators, Happy Thanksgiving

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The degree of Summers' stupidity is pronounced when we think of a very competent player not even
getting a chance to spell his teammate as well as giving some depth to our serviceable OL.??

>> PS>> That's the way you fortify and develop your FB players. It's terrible to witness such resistance
to getting the max out of the team's holistic shtick. Can you imagine TJ's "infectious go get 'em" ? -- that his teammates were denied by Summers ? Summers et al need an epiphany. Bring Tony Robins in for a coaches' semignarly = don't let Foley give Robbins an extension though.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

You wanna praise Summers now? 1 or 2 good games doesn't make up for the sh*t-show we've watched the last 3 years he's been the OL coach.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A bad game but no excuse for Nuss not leaving a TE in more to assist when he saw 44 was eating the Tackles up. He did bust through the middle a lot also however.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
A bad game but no excuse for Nuss not leaving a TE in more to assist when he saw 44 was eating the Tackles up. He did bust through the middle a lot also however.

Not many TE targets either. The TE wheel route seems to have been ripped out of the play book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.