Fired coaches have it too easy - we need reform!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Will Muschamp debacle really makes a man think.

It's a wonderful thing to be a fired college head football coach. Not only do you get to be relieved of all your duties and taken out of an extremely stressful situation, you get paid handsomely for it, often for YEARS after you're kicked to the curb. You can just waltz out of town on a carpet of money. It's really a slap in the face to the fans. You ruin their lives and get rewarded?

I think the fans, who pay all those salaries in the first place, need to be offered some kind of formal retaliation. Here's the proposal:

1) The coach has to be fired publicly by the Athletic Director. A notice needs to be put all to all fans that there will be a public determination of a coach's job at a certain time and place, preferably a large venue without seats (like a gym) for standing-room only capabilities. The Athletic Director will make whatever comments and background into a microphone while the coach sits there. The AD will then publicly announce, "You're fired!" In most cases, it's at this point that the room would completely erupt into jubilant cheers.

2) The coach has to be given an opportunity to get to the exit as soon as possible. After the firing, the crowd will divide in the middle of the room and part like the Red Sea, where they would be roped off 20 feet apart. The room will be arranged in such a way that the coach sits at the far end, as far away from the main entrance/exit as possible. At this point, staff will place large baskets of rotten tomatoes in the areas lining the getaway lane. There would be quite a bit of competition from the fans to be on the front lines with a clear shot at the exiled coach. The tomatoes themselves would have to be subjected to a very specific procedure to get them as rotten as possible. The fans may wear gloves if they wish, but it isn't mandatory.

3) The A.D. is then forced to do a ten-second countdown. The crowd would eagerly be counting down with him. The coach cannot leave his seat until the count hits zero.

4) The coach goes from his seat into a waiting car outside the building as fast or slow as he chooses. In most cases, the coach would sprint towards the doors, making himself a target for as little time as possible. The fans can throw as many tomatoes as they like as he goes by, but they must stay behind the ropes. The only supplemental protection available to the fleeing coach is a pair of goggles. Security would trail the coach, making sure not only that the fans don't cross the ropes, but that the coach doesn't go after and try to hurt any fans. The fans outside, also armed with tomatoes, can hurl as many tomatoes at the vehicle as they can while it drives away.

5) For his mistake, the Athletic Director must follow suit. For maximum humiliation, the A.D. must do another countdown, this time for himself. When it hits zero, he too must head for the exit and the procedure repeats itself.

6) These procedures would be standard in any contract, for both Athletic Directors and coaches. A coach wouldn't get one dime of any buyout money until he goes through the tomato process. Any A.D. refusing to partake would be contractually fired immediately.

This would at least give the fans something for their money. Imagine Will Muschamp running down that lane while the tomatoes fly. Imagine Foley following him. We'd all feel a little better about the situation.

I've only scratched the surface to how good this process could be. We got some very creative posters, so feel free to chime in with your own ideas. Let's get something together that we can formally submit to the NCAA for consideration.

Discuss.

latest

Attachments

• conv_4005.jpg
    conv_4005.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 41
  • conv_4005.jpg
    conv_4005.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 39
  • conv_4005.jpg
    conv_4005.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 37
  • conv_4005.jpg
    conv_4005.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 33
  • conv_4005.jpg
    conv_4005.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 39
  • conv_4006.jpg
    conv_4006.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
  • conv_4007.jpg
    conv_4007.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 41

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This certainly isn't a new concept. The throwing of food as a protest has a long tradition in this country and around the world. An article from the New York Times in 1883 describes one such incident involving a performer being pelted by tomatoes:

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...in&oref=slogin

It reads:

"John Ritchie, of Hempstead, Long Island, aspires to be an actor and lecturer. He made his debut before a Hempstead audience at Washington Hall a few evenings ago. He had a crowded house, and was warmly received, in fact, it was altogether too hot for him, there being distributed among the audience a bushel or two of rotten tomatoes. The first act opened with Mr. Ritchie trying to turn a somersault. He probably would have succeeded had not a great many tomatoes struck him, throwing him off his balance and demoralizing him. It was some time before the audience could induce him to go on with the performance. He next attempted to perform on the trapeze. As he lay upon the bar with his face towards the audience, a large tomato thrown from the gallery struck him square between the eyes, and he fell to the stage floor just as several bad eggs dropped upon his head. Then the tomatoes flew thick and fast, and Ritchie fled for the stage door. The door was locked, and he ran the gauntlet for the ticket office through a perfect shower of tomatoes. He reached it, and the show was over. Ritchie estimates his damages at $50, and vows that he will not give a performance at Hempstead again."

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I second the proposal. In Muschamp's case however, he should only be allowed to move towards the exit door at the same pace his offenses moved the ball up and down the field during his tenure. That should give everybody in attendance plenty of time to pelt him.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n256939 said:
I second the proposal. In Muschamp's case however, he should only be allowed to move towards the exit door at the same pace his offenses moved the ball up and down the field during his tenure. That should give everybody in attendance plenty of time to pelt him.
Perhaps in some severe cases there could be allowed obstacles in the lane that would slow down the retreat.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My idea is simpler and involves less security. There will be a live press conference, not open to the public, announcing the firing. The coach will also be present but unaware of the reason for the press conference, so we can all watch the humiliation as he is told live that his job has ended.

Then the coach will be presented with shot glasses filled with old milk that was produced on the first week of the coach's last season. The coach must take one shot of 2-3 month old milk for every loss that occurred during his worst season. So if this was implemented last year, Muschamp would have taken 8 shots of 2.5 month old milk on the day it was announced he was fired at a live press conference.

Drinking shots of old milk symbolize the distaste and disgust that we as fans feel every time there is a loss. In this way the coach must stomach the rotten milk as we have been forced to stomach horrible games during his tenure. Without a doubt the coach will vomit the rotten milk that he is forced to drink, probably more than once. The act of vomiting is also symbolic of how we are now purging the distaste of a loser coach with losing games so that we can move on to something much better.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n256947 said:
My idea is simpler and involves less security. There will be a live press conference, not open to the public, announcing the firing. The coach will also be present but unaware of the reason for the press conference, so we can all watch the humiliation as he is told live that his job has ended.

Then the coach will be presented with shot glasses filled with old milk that was produced on the first week of the coach's last season. The coach must take one shot of 2-3 month old milk for every loss that occurred during his worst season. So if this was implemented last year, Muschamp would have taken 8 shots of 2.5 month old milk on the day it was announced he was fired at a live press conference.

Drinking shots of old milk symbolize the distaste and disgust that we as fans feel every time there is a loss. In this way the coach must stomach the rotten milk as we have been forced to stomach horrible games during his tenure. Without a doubt the coach will vomit the rotten milk that he is forced to drink, probably more than once. The act of vomiting is also symbolic of how we are now purging the distaste of a loser coach with losing games so that we can move on to something much better.
:lmao:

I'm trying to stifle embarrassing bouts of laughter here in my office and aren't doing a very good job.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n256949 said:
:lmao:

I'm trying to stifle embarrassing bouts of laughter here in my office and aren't doing a very good job.

Glad you enjoyed that. :lol2:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There should be a lottery drawing for one lucky fan to kick the departing coach square in the nuts.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n256946 said:
Perhaps in some severe cases there could be allowed obstacles in the lane that would slow down the retreat.

In Muschamp's case that would be a goal line.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Gator87;n256939 said:

I am not sure Mushchump could even FIND the door.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
The departure lane distance needs to be commensurate with the coaches buyout. In Muschamp's case he gets tomatoes in the face all the way to Auburn.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n256939 said:

At times, he'd run the wrong way and be blocked by Foley.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n257095 said:
Terrible thread.
And here I figured you of all people would like the idea. You don't really seem to have any redeeming qualities left at this point.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Pay-per-view. Why should frustrated Gators everywhere be deprived of the opportunity to enjoy it. Actually, alumni should get a price break but all else pay full pop. Proceeds would help defray buyout costs, new staff costs, etc.
I also though Saddam's hanging should have been pay-per-view.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n257119 said:
And here I figured you of all people would like the idea.
:rotfl: It was just such an obvious troll job.

We need better management around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.