First order of business for the new coach

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, I realize it hasn't happened yet, but it will. First priorities of the new coach:

1) Stemming the flow of transfers and keeping/adding recruits. I'm sure we'll see some much needed transfers from unproductive players, maybe even Driskel, but there will be some solid players who are contemplating transfers who we do NOT want to leave. And believe it or not, we have some super recruits who have stuck with us and have us as heavy favorites through this absolute mess; Jeff Holland, Byron Cowart and Cece Jefferson to name a few.
2) Retaining any coaches from the current staff? Maybe retain DJ Durkin but put him back in as Special Teams coach? Maybe T Robinson for continuity in recruiting? Maybe keep Brian White and actually give him someone with a grain of talent at TE to develop? I think it will be important to keep one or two coaches for recruiting and knowledge of players.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Don't like the retention of Durlkin or White. Nothing against those two but they have just been around too much of this losing.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I thought Brian white was the rb coach? Also I think you've got to gut the staff. Maybe retain summers, lawing, and Robinson at the very most. And that's just to hold this class together.The rest needs to be his guys. Guys he already has chemistry with.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can see several of the assistants being retained. Most of the mistakes on defense have come from the secondary. I don't know how much that's on Muschamp or Robinson; however, Robinson is a solid recruiter and that's worth considering. I think the most improved unit on offense has been the O-line, so retaining Summers would be a good thing imo. Knockout coordinator hires will be important. Roper may be a good OC, but he won't be able to prove that as long as Muschamp is around. Durkin's defense schematically has been pretty good, so the new HC may possibly retain him.

Keeping players from transferring or going pro early is like recruiting so the new guy has a lot of recruiting to do. Hopefully he can bring in a few stud HS athletes so this class isn't a complete wash. I believe that there is some good, young talent on the team, so turning things around may not take as long as some people think, especially if the talent becomes upper classmen here.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n85740 said:
Don't like the retention of Durlkin or White. Nothing against those two but they have just been around too much of this losing.

Exactly. Durkin was a good special teams coach but he's going to be gone. And what have our running backs produced under white? Other than Gilleslie ? He seems like he just recruits the position poorly

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n85937 said:
Zero retention. The program needs to be purged completely and rebuilt.
Gotta agree. Get rid of everyone, down to the water boy, medical staff, even janitors.

DJ Durkin has a career in the fast food industry waiting for him.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85944 said:
Gotta agree. Get rid of everyone, down to the water boy, medical staff, even janitors.

Agreed. About the only exception that should be made is Leak, lest we forget this.....

chrisleak.jpg

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
All for keeping a place in the program for MVP Chris Leak. Gator Great and a great Gator.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n85944 said:

Durkin was Special Teams Coach the last time we came within 10 yards of actually blocking a punt. Which has me wondering, I bet we blocked more punts in one of Meyer's season than we have in almost 4 of Muschamp's. Hell, we used to block multiple kicks in one game. We can't even get close these days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At least one or two coaches have to remain. It makes it easy to explain to some 19 yo that 22X Flim Flam is exactly like our old Batman 701 Fly except the TE delays and runs an out and to transition the recruits. There's a lot to switching regimes.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n85974 said:
Durkin was Special Teams Coach the last time we came within 10 yards of actually blocking a punt. Which has me wondering, I bet we blocked more punts in one of Meyer's season than we have in almost 4 of Muschamp's. Hell, we used to block multiple kicks in one game. We can't even get close these days.
Muschamp doesn't believe in trying to block punts. Too risky. Good 'ol "Play it Safe" Muschamp.

If it was 1930, Will Muschamp would absolutely fit right in.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You have to keep Robinson for South Florida recruiting alone. And I'd keep Leak just because I feel better with him on the sidelines.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Sure, keep Leak....let's just not ask him to coach anyone. One of the new water boys, perhaps?

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jake from State Farm;n86061 said:
Amazing how just talking about a change makes you feel better.

You are feeling better?

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n86060 said:
Sure, keep Leak....let's just not ask him to coach anyone. One of the new water boys, perhaps?

Ideal scenario. If he'd stand on the sideline for free, I'd still feel better and we'd save some money.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Being serious, the biggest problem Muschamp had when he came her was just letting guys walk left and right. THAT'S what a person does who can influence talent and "Coach them up". Just let them go. I agree with DC on the point we've got to work on keeping talent within. We do have a lot there who probably just need to be brainwashed from the sh1t they've been taught up till now.

As for coaches… I like the idea of keeping T. Rob and possibly Leak. Although I don't know how much the members have learned from Leak. Durkin was a great ST Coach. But, would he be willing to stay for a demotion? IDK, maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.