First Year Coach Grades - CBS Sports

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Disagree. A special QB hides a lot of other weaknesses. Milton was damn special. Terrible what happened. Let's beat up the blind kid if we have to.

We’ll see how they do, of course. I think they’ll beat Memphis but agree that Milton was a huge factor against a good P5 opponent.

I’ve followed them because I’ve got 3 kids & two of their spouses who are UCF alumni/students. If we play them, we dam* well better win or I’ll never hear the end of it.

I’ve told my kids that if they want to gain lasting respect, they have to get into a P5 conference and to do that they’ve got to fill their stadium consistently (which they don’t.) That’s possible up the road but they have a long way to go.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Because Sallee actually has the balls to call things the way they are. Most knew that Ucla and Nebraska were difficult circumstances that would need some time to be turned around. And that's IF they ever get turned around. There wasn't any turnaround needed at fsu.

I can agree that the B and C grades are a little generous for Frost and Kelly respectively. But I think his point is to really show the disparity of the two situations to expose just how bad Taggart was this year. It's a refreshing approach.
You could also argue that Mora faced similar circumstances at UCLA in 2017 and that by Kelly emerging with three fewer wins, he proved the Bruins made a tragic mistake by hiring him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You could also argue that Mora faced similar circumstances at UCLA in 2017 and that by Kelly emerging with three fewer wins, he proved the Bruins made a tragic mistake by hiring him.

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think in the case of Kelly. He seems content to burn the place down running his system and mortgaging this season and maybe more to get his guys in to run his system. I'm not a fan of that approach at all. But what's worse for Ucla is that it's extremely unlikely that they hang on to him for very long. So why go through the growing pains of multiple seasons just to see him leave in a few years? Given the unrest at the big brother across town, if he had any plans of staying in cfb, he'd have waited another year and hoped that one would open.

But I agree that he was dreadful this season. I just think most people predicted struggles there, where as WT was supposed to be an immediate turnaround.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think in the case of Kelly. He seems content to burn the place down running his system and mortgaging this season and maybe more to get his guys in to run his system. I'm not a fan of that approach at all. But what's worse for Ucla is that it's extremely unlikely that they hang on to him for very long. So why go through the growing pains of multiple seasons just to see him leave in a few years? Given the unrest at the big brother across town, if he had any plans of staying in cfb, he'd have waited another year and hoped that one would open.

But I agree that he was dreadful this season. I just think most people predicted struggles there, where as WT was supposed to be an immediate turnaround.
How bad we wanted the guy and how loud we groaned when Mullen was announced. Life's irony never ceases to amaze.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
How bad we wanted the guy and how loud we groaned when Mullen was announced. Life's irony never ceases to amaze.

If, by chance, Stricklin got the impression that he'd do exactly what he did at UCLA, and that's why talks cooled, then his judgement in that case will get an A+ from me. That's an if though, so I'm not claiming that's what transpired.

But I'll continue to say, a game like Lsu was only going to be won by someone who understood and had experienced the SEC grind, or by someone ultra elite. I'm not sure Kelly or Frost would've fit either of those descriptions, and I'm not totally sure we did't end up with a guy that may eventually be both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator