Florida’s Offense is Getting Some Attention

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
This is probably true, but give a lot of credit to Trask. He is throwing some beautiful passes and doing a great job of finding the open receivers. His ball security is also much better this season (no doubt as a result of more game experience); last year he lost five fumbles. This season he's only lost one through five games

I didn't mean to take any credit away from Trask. I was really kinda alluding to a noticeable difference in our offensive tactics. Im no expert, but it seems pretty clear that we have shifted from an option team to a lot of play action option (is that a thing?). Our RBs are much more of a threat now vs the QB running. I really like it too.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I didn't mean to take any credit away from Trask. I was really kinda alluding to a noticeable difference in our offensive tactics. Im no expert, but it seems pretty clear that we have shifted from an option team to a lot of play action option (is that a thing?). Our RBs are much more of a threat now vs the QB running. I really like it too.
I didn't think you were. And while CDM has clearly opened things up a lot more, to which Johnson has to get a lot of credit, Trask has definitely taken that next step and improved from last year. It's kind of amazing to think of what we lost from last season at the offensive skill positions and yet the offense is more explosive. Who saw that coming? The other question of course is will CDM see this is the way to run the offense, or go back to his old ways with a QB - Jones - who is more suited to what he's always run.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have said this since Trask's first Orange & Blue game.... Trask was the best QB on the field. He never, ever should have been on the bench behind Franks. It is absolutely baffling that if Franks had not gotten hurt Trask would never have played.

Oh, and Swamp Dork rated my post as stoned....boo hoo... learn something about football and give me a call when you do until then, shut it..

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I Who saw that coming? The other question of course is will CDM see this is the way to run the offense, or go back to his old ways with a QB - Jones - who is more suited to what he's always run.
Obviously, I didnt see it coming. Last year we just ran the same Mullinz playbook, but used the sideways passing portion mostly.

This year is a totally different deal. He still returns to ND option at times.

But how could he not love playing offense this way? Getting a little input from the HBC and those small bottles of cheap wine from the smiling HBC after another nice win?

How could he not like beating the Dwags finally?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im no expert, but it seems pretty clear that we have shifted from an option team to a lot of play action option (is that a thing?)..
those are the RPOs. Old school RPO/waggle was QB keep or maybe an option/give keep and then the QB has a pass read. Normally a DE is the player being unblocked and read. We ran a bunch last year they were usually WR screens or slants. None of the old school options work bc the DEs wont honor Trash run ability. I don't mean he keeps the ball once again and actually gets some positive yardage, which obviously has happened once or twice a game. I mean on every play they just crashed on the back.

Modern RPO is reading an OLB or maybe strong safety/star. The QB holds the ball out for the back at the mesh point then reads. If the LB/safety reads run and collapses into the hole, the QB pulls and hits a receiver usually on some slant route behind the OLB/safety. It is option football for a QB who cant run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator