Gator Basketball Florida basketball is the worst thing we cover

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
True….at the end of the day….you have to win. 7 seasons in and White just has not progressed to the next level. Like With Mullen I stayed out until there was an actual opportunity for change. At the end of last season I said I thought this was the year. He has to breakthrough or he’s gone. It’s been the same old seesaw this year. Up and down. I think it’s over.
It IS over, but has Strickland figured that out yet?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
My problem is I have loved basketball and gator basketball since I was very young. I loved playing and played a lot. It was so exciting in that old alligator alley when Rupp would bring his boys and our students would literally sit on top of his team and we would occasionally beat them. When Neal Walk showed up with his unworldly stats (26pts and 18 reb. a game) teaming with Andy Owens that great year. And all the subsequent stars that came after. When storming norman got us in our first dance and we won games only to lose to Ronny Siekely and that Syracuse team. Vernon Delancy. Ronnie Williams. Dewayne Davis and his dunks. Mad Max. THEN Billy (like SOS) comes along and makes us AMAZING.
This collection of transfers youngsters and hairstyles has grown on me somewhat. Playing with no experienced center they win a game. I like Apple and his clutchness lately. I like Castle and Duruji. What can I say? Ima gator and like how they have overcome so many injuries and lineup changes. And when White is gone I will like the next coaches and team. Help me out here Marine1

Great memories SPE. Neal Walk was a master of all aspects of the old school center position as it was played in those times. He had the misfortune of coming along at the same time UCLA and Abdul Jabbar (FKA Lew Alcindor) were conquering the world. Otherwise, he might not be largely forgotten by even most Gator fans today. If I recall correctly, he was the 2nd pick in the draft and went on to have a fine career at Pheonix, where his combination of finesse and physicality served him well for quite a few years in the NBA. Sadly, he had some serious health problems later in life and passed away at the age of 67. But he will be remembered for being a great player and a fine man by all who were lucky enough to be around to witness his greatness.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
having your teeth pulled sounds more enjoyable than watching this team pretend to play the game of basketball. Consider yourself blessed.
Mike White sucks beyond words. He can't coach, he can't lead, he can't do a damn thing consistently or truly well. I hate what he's done to the program that Billy built. He should have been cut loose long ago.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
he can't do a damn thing consistently
I disagree, he consistently can’t win a big game, can’t recruit a stud, but if you enjoy your team constantly on the “last 4 in/first 4 out”, he’s the man for you.

Being consistently on the bubble, we get postseason excitement before the postseason even begins.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree, he consistently can’t win a big game, can’t recruit a stud, but if you enjoy your team constantly on the “last 4 in/first 4 out”, he’s the man for you.

Being consistently on the bubble, we get postseason excitement before the postseason even begins.
anxiety is not the same as excitement

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
With UF football making its resurgence, will that excuse a worsening basketball program.? So Stricklin avoids the unpleasantness of firing this coach-member of the White AD family.?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016

I stand corrected - sort of.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
I missed the Kentucky game on Saturday so I watched SEC now for highlights on the game. They didn't show one good thing the Gators did, not one hoop, steal, block...it was all about Kentucky. That's where were are, the Washington Generals of the SEC.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I grew up in a basketball town and love the sport, especially live. I used to love to watch the Gators and would every chance I got. I talked to a long time (50+ years) season ticket holder for both football and basketball. She gave up the football mainly due to the heat of 12 noon games but kept the basketball as it was indoors in the cool part of the year. She told me she hasn't been to a basketball game this year, mainly due to the coach. She can't stand watching this crap and refuses to go. Her late hubby was a UF professor and has been going to UF sports forever. Funny hearing a 85 year old woman cuss when talking UF basketball.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
By now it's seeming like coach Donovan was a one & done.?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
With UF football making its resurgence, will that excuse a worsening basketball program.? So Stricklin avoids the unpleasantness of firing this coach-member of the White AD family.?

People may think you are kidding but his good standing in the AD community will be in question if he does the right thing.

Let’s be clear and understand that his father’s influence, along with members of the Duke mafia such as Jay Bilas, had a lot to do with Mikey getting the job to begin with.

I happen to remember all the pimping being done by Jay and the boys when Mikey was hired and it continues to this day.
Scottie has to decide if he is going to do what is best for THIS job or what is best for his next job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator