Florida Fall Camp Preview

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
We preview fall camp for the Florida Gators. Be sure and check back, as we’ll preview all 14 teams. PERSONNEL Head coach Jim McElwain and his coaching staff prepare to open fall camp and learn a little bit more about their players and team. McElwain has a tough job ahead during his first season in Gainesville, rebuilding a depleted roster at certain uncertain positions. Just because Dante Fowler is gone, don’t expect a big drop off on Florida’s defensive line. One player won’t replace Fowler’s production; rather, the Gators have several defensive linemen who will help fill the void. New defensive coordinator Geoff Collins should be more aggressive, allowing Jon Bullard, Alex McCalister and CeCe Jefferson, among others, to put up pass rush numbers, leaving the talented corners on an island. The Gators’ linebacking corps is thinner than most other positions, but it’s talented. Getting back Antonio Morrison early would be a major boost to this position, but Alex Anzalone, Daniel McMillian and Jarrad Davis are ready for big seasons. Although it’s thin, if this group can stay healthy, it should be fine. Contrary to the linebackers, the secondary is loaded, headlined by corners Vernon Hargreaves and Jalen Tabor. Nickel back Brian Poole and safeties Keanu Neal and Marcus Maye are all great players, too. With such great cornerback play, Collins can afford to dial up the pressure on quarterbacks. Florida will make its case for the SEC’s DBU in 2015. The offense, however, has holes to fill. It starts at quarterback. Will Grier and Treon Harris will continue their position battle through fall camp, and Jim McElwain will need to put five quality players together along the offensive line. Three of the five are probably settled, headlined by tackles David Sharpe and Martez Ivey, though Ivey will have to earn his keep. Florida needs Kelvin Taylor, Adam Lane and Jordan Scarlett to have big seasons, and a wide receiver not named Demarcus Robinson to make an instant impact. Personnel-wise, Florida is as talented as any team in the country, but overcoming questions at quarterback and offensive line could be the difference between 7-5 and 9-3. The Gators must continue to build depth and experience at every position throughout the season. PRIMARY POSITION BATTLES Quarterback —*Pro-style signal caller Will Grier and dual-threat quarterback Treon Harris will continue their competition through fall camp. Grier is the quarterback better suited for the style of play Jim McElwain wants to have, but Harris adds a different dimension with his legs. Grier had a great spring, and he really looks ready to become the starter. Harris, however, may give the Gators their best chance to move the offense up and down the field and ultimately win. One thing’s for certain: this position must produce for the Gators. It produced just seven touchdown passes and 11 INTs during SEC play in 2014. Consistency will be the key, no matter which quarterback gets the nod. Offensive Line*—This group can’t afford any more attrition, period. Ironing out the starting five will be one of the biggest issues the Gators will face during fall camp. Sophomore David Sharpe and freshman Martez Ivey could start at left and right tackle. The most experienced returner, Trip Thurman, should start at center. That leaves right and left guard. Antonio Riles and Travaris Dorsey are the early favorites to win the position, but Andrew Mike will figure into the rotation. Fordham graduate transfer Mason Halter will also compete at tackle, as he was a three-time FCS All-American. Offensive Tackle*— Redshirt sophomore Caleb Brantley and redshirt freshman Taven Bryan are sure to entertain with their position battle. Bryan is called the “Wyoming Wild Man”, while Brantley could be the more talented of the two. Bryan has made nothing but a positive impression since arriving on campus. Regardless of who wins the job, both will be in the rotation and play a lot. However, many are eager to see Bryan in action and to see Brantley at his best. Hopefully, the position battle will bring out the best of both. END GOAL The biggest goal of fall camp is to find a starting quarterback. Whether it’s Grier or Harris, one of the two should be able to efficiently move this offense up and down the field. The coaching staff will cater to the strengths of either player to put the best offensive product on the field. The second biggest issue is finding the right five guys along the offensive line. McElwain recently said on ESPN that Florida could play as many as four freshmen on the offensive line. It will be a tough stretch during SEC play. However, getting these freshmen up to speed during fall camp will be crucial for an eight- or nine-win season

Attachments

• conv_3825.jpg
    conv_3825.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 34

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds about right. Lots of uncertainty. At least we have a bunch of DBs.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm expecting big things out of Anzalone. I think he is the best kept secret thus far. Looking for a breakout year for him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
We preview fall camp for the Florida Gators. Be sure and check back, as we’ll preview all 14 teams. PERSONNEL Head coach Jim McElwain and his coaching staff prepare to open fall camp and learn a little bit more about their players and team. McElwain has a tough job ahead during his first season in Gainesville, rebuilding a depleted roster at certain uncertain positions. Just because Dante Fowler is gone, don’t expect a big drop off on Florida’s defensive line.

One player won’t replace Fowler’s production; rather, the Gators have several defensive linemen who will help fill the void. New defensive coordinator Geoff Collins should be more aggressive, allowing Jon Bullard, Alex McCalister and CeCe Jefferson, among others, to put up pass rush numbers, leaving the talented corners on an island.

The Gators’ linebacking corps is thinner than most other positions, but it’s talented. Getting back Antonio Morrison early would be a major boost to this position, but Alex Anzalone, Daniel McMillian and Jarrad Davis are ready for big seasons. Although it’s thin, if this group can stay healthy, it should be fine.

Contrary to the linebackers, the secondary is loaded, headlined by corners Vernon Hargreaves and Jalen Tabor. Nickel back Brian Poole and safeties Keanu Neal and Marcus Maye are all great players, too. With such great cornerback play, Collins can afford to dial up the pressure on quarterbacks. Florida will make its case for the SEC’s DBU in 2015.

The offense, however, has holes to fill. It starts at quarterback. Will Grier and Treon Harris will continue their position battle through fall camp, and Jim McElwain will need to put five quality players together along the offensive line. Three of the five are probably settled, headlined by tackles David Sharpe and Martez Ivey, though Ivey will have to earn his keep.

Florida needs Kelvin Taylor, Adam Lane and Jordan Scarlett to have big seasons, and a wide receiver not named Demarcus Robinson to make an instant impact. Personnel-wise, Florida is as talented as any team in the country, but overcoming questions at quarterback and offensive line could be the difference between 7-5 and 9-3. The Gators must continue to build depth and experience at every position throughout the season.

PRIMARY POSITION BATTLES Quarterback —*Pro-style signal caller Will Grier and dual-threat quarterback Treon Harris will continue their competition through fall camp. Grier is the quarterback better suited for the style of play Jim McElwain wants to have, but Harris adds a different dimension with his legs. Grier had a great spring, and he really looks ready to become the starter. Harris, however, may give the Gators their best chance to move the offense up and down the field and ultimately win. One thing’s for certain: this position must produce for the Gators. It produced just seven touchdown passes and 11 INTs during SEC play in 2014. Consistency will be the key, no matter which quarterback gets the nod.

Offensive Line*—This group can’t afford any more attrition, period. Ironing out the starting five will be one of the biggest issues the Gators will face during fall camp. Sophomore David Sharpe and freshman Martez Ivey could start at left and right tackle. The most experienced returner, Trip Thurman, should start at center. That leaves right and left guard. Antonio Riles and Travaris Dorsey are the early favorites to win the position, but Andrew Mike will figure into the rotation. Fordham graduate transfer Mason Halter will also compete at tackle, as he was a three-time FCS All-American. Offensive Tackle*—

Redshirt sophomore Caleb Brantley and redshirt freshman Taven Bryan are sure to entertain with their position battle. Bryan is called the “Wyoming Wild Man”, while Brantley could be the more talented of the two. Bryan has made nothing but a positive impression since arriving on campus. Regardless of who wins the job, both will be in the rotation and play a lot. However, many are eager to see Bryan in action and to see Brantley at his best. Hopefully, the position battle will bring out the best of both.

END GOAL The biggest goal of fall camp is to find a starting quarterback. Whether it’s Grier or Harris, one of the two should be able to efficiently move this offense up and down the field. The coaching staff will cater to the strengths of either player to put the best offensive product on the field. The second biggest issue is finding the right five guys along the offensive line. McElwain recently said on ESPN that Florida could play as many as four freshmen on the offensive line. It will be a tough stretch during SEC play. However, getting these freshmen up to speed during fall camp will be crucial for an eight- or nine-win season

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Thanks OP for the original post and a big thanks to Law for making it readable. :)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Nice write up. The positives to me are Thurman's projected return and the fact that Ivey has been reported on several occasions as being the biggest impact FR so far, which is exactly what we needed. Hopefully that continues. In general, the OL has gone from just gut-wrenching scary to possibly a decent unit, all be it a young one.

The one thing that puzzles me a bit is the staff not trying to make a position switch to get more bodies at LB. Maybe they have and I just haven't read about it. But it seems like we should've been trying out one of the TE's or perhaps a bigger body DB like Neal or Harris at OLB, just to give us a hint of breathing room there. Neal, in particular, has shown flashes with his physical play, but has also been out of position quite a bit in coverage. He'd be a little small at OLB, but I think that fit would be about as good as any, and we obviously have plenty of bodies in the secondary.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A couple things that article does not do a good enough job on emphasizing:

1. To semi-quote ryan.joseph: "we are dangerously thin at LB".
2. Mason Halter is going to grab the LT position and Sharpe, the RT. There's no way they're going to allow a freshman from a run oriented offense in high school to start day one. Foolish.
3. I'm a little confused on the position battle of Brantley and Bryan. Brantley is more NT and Bryan is a sort of DT/DE hybrid like Shariff was.
4. I seriously think that Scarlett will supplant Taylor by the end of the year if he stays healthy.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n250632 said:
A couple things that article does not do a good enough job on emphasizing:

1. To semi-quote ryan.joseph: "we are dangerously thin at LB".
2. Mason Halter is going to grab the LT position and Sharpe, the RT. There's no way they're going to allow a freshman from a run oriented offense in high school to start day one. Foolish.
3. I'm a little confused on the position battle of Brantley and Bryan. Brantley is more NT and Bryan is a sort of DT/DE hybrid like Shariff was.
4. I seriously think that Scarlett will supplant Taylor by the end of the year if he stays healthy.

1. I wouldn't say we are "dangerously" thin this year, but next year's LB group scares me. I agree with Sofla in that there will probably be one or two guys move to LB this fall camp.
2. I think you're right on this except Sharpe will be a LT and Halter will be at RT. I think they'll cross-train Ivey so that he can either compete for a starting guard spot and back both of the tackles. Next year he'll be the starter at one of the tackle positions. Also, if Dillard looks good at Center during Fall camp, then they may possibly move Thurman to guard.
3. Agree. We'll probably see them on the field at the same time depending on the formation.
4. I think you and others have given up on Taylor too soon. Scarlett is good, but don't forget that Taylor was more hyped than Scarlett out of high school. Taylor showed flashes of greatness last year (think Georgia) and I think his extra year of experience and maturity will help. Of course neither one of these guys will be any good if the O-line can't block anyone.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What I wonder about Taylor is if he played timid when Jones was here and now that he's the BMOC if he'll take the bull by the horns attitude and start to show some of that Taylor blood in his veins.
Either way, this is his year to rise or fall, it's totally up to him. It's been laid out on a silver platter, he just needs to step up and claim it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
playzwtrux;n250652 said:
What I wonder about Taylor is if he played timid when Jones was here and now that he's the BMOC if he'll take the bull by the horns attitude and start to show some of that Taylor blood in his veins.
Either way, this is his year to rise or fall, it's totally up to him. It's been laid out on a silver platter, he just needs to step up and claim it.

Jones was a better blocker than Taylor for the last 2 years so I think our previous staff rewarded him with more carries. Taylor has good vision and a nice first cut but if he wants to keep Scarlett off the field he better work hard on catching screens and blocking because I believe screens will have to be used frequently. Scarlett looks to be an everydown back and that goes a long way when trying to develop a functional offense. We'll see if his HS playing ability translates to the college game. He looks the part so we'll have to wait and see. Has anyone heard or seen Lane since he made his infamous run for the border.....

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n250631 said:
The one thing that puzzles me a bit is the staff not trying to make a position switch to get more bodies at LB. Maybe they have and I just haven't read about it. But it seems like we should've been trying out one of the TE's or perhaps a bigger body DB like Neal or Harris at OLB, just to give us a hint of breathing room there. Neal, in particular, has shown flashes with his physical play, but has also been out of position quite a bit in coverage. He'd be a little small at OLB, but I think that fit would be about as good as any, and we obviously have plenty of bodies in the secondary.

Neal or Harris could do it. And yes, Neal may have been out of place in coverage at times...but despite that Harris hasn't been able to overtake him. Neal has been the unquestioned starter thus far which suggests he is just better than Harris. I keep hoping to hear what a beast Harris is becoming on the back end but just haven't.

If we're gonna move one of them I'd like to see Harris go there. He's a step slower than Neal (as a safety) and seems to have the body frame that could easily fill out to a LB.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Taylor just doesn't have the speed of an elite back. Good vision. Average size/strength. Average speed.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I suspect the reason you haven't seen Neal or Harris cross train at OLB is because it's not a very good idea. Fundamentally the positions are nearly the opposite. First step for a safety is always backward unless you're on a blitz. First step for a LB is always forward unless its 3rd and 87. The only way it should be done is if it's going to be permanent . It's not the same as having a Linebacker line up at end is rush situations, or the other way around. In short, you don't want your safety to ever think his first step should be toward the LOS.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n250649 said:
4. I think you and others have given up on Taylor too soon. Scarlett is good, but don't forget that Taylor was more hyped than Scarlett out of high school. Taylor showed flashes of greatness last year (think Georgia) and I think his extra year of experience and maturity will help. Of course neither one of these guys will be any good if the O-line can't block anyone.

In two years all it has been is flashes though. He gets caught at the line of scrimmage or behind it too many times (even when the hole is obviously there). Get tackled by the first hit. He dances in the hole too much, which I hope is a byproduct of poor coaching or changes in the offense last year. He was good when no one had tape on him as a Freshman, Now every SEC team has tape on him to see his tendencies. This will be a make or break year for him. He doesn't have elite speed, he has decent vision, good acceleration, and isn't special when it comes to size/strength. When the holes were wide open and the other team opened up the red sea (Georgia last year) he has athletic talent that shines. When a defense wants to defend the run, so far he hasn't been better than just good. A good back doesn't hack it in the SEC, there are plenty of good backs. As far as High School Hype, John Brantley was very hyped out of High School, Driskel was, hype of out high school when your the son of Fred Taylor playing the same position, is just hype.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n250705 said:
Tell that to Emmitt Smith.

Emmitt Smith had elite vision and elite acceleration. Watched him race Olympic sprinters at the Percy Beard Track in the Spring of 95. He as fast off the blocks as the current fastest men in the world. Taylor doesn't have that acceleration.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Weve all been focused on the offense (and rightfully so) but something just occured to me regarding collins and the D. I have no idea what type of formation to expect as our base formation on the defensive side. Is collins going to continue some sort of 3-4 scheme that weve had or will we move to more of a 4-3? I didnt watch Ms St D line closely last year but if memory serves me correctly the few times I did pay attention, they seemed more 4-3 than otherwise. I could be mistaken? Anybody got anything? Law, Cover? Thanks.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Regarding the "dangerously thin" situation at linebacker, I suspect we will run more Nickel packages to compensate. That's been the answer for limitations due to injury so why not general depth issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator