Florida Fall Camp Preview

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n250710 said:
Weve all been focused on the offense (and rightfully so) but something just occured to me regarding collins and the D. I have no idea what type of formation to expect as our base formation on the defensive side. Is collins going to continue some sort of 3-4 scheme that weve had or will we move to more of a 4-3? I didnt watch Ms St D line closely last year but if memory serves me correctly the few times I did pay attention, they seemed more 4-3 than otherwise. I could be mistaken? Anybody got anything? Law, Cover? Thanks.

They were a base 4-3 defense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n250692 said:
Taylor just doesn't have the speed of an elite back. Good vision. Average size/strength. Average speed.
Not to mention he dances around too much rather than hitting the hole.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
My bad. I hadn't read dougies post before i posted that.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n250714 said:
Not to mention he dances around too much rather than hitting the hole.

Something you know about in your business?

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n250699 said:
In two years all it has been is flashes though. He gets caught at the line of scrimmage or behind it too many times (even when the hole is obviously there). Get tackled by the first hit. He dances in the hole too much, which I hope is a byproduct of poor coaching or changes in the offense last year. He was good when no one had tape on him as a Freshman, Now every SEC team has tape on him to see his tendencies. This will be a make or break year for him. He doesn't have elite speed, he has decent vision, good acceleration, and isn't special when it comes to size/strength. When the holes were wide open and the other team opened up the red sea (Georgia last year) he has athletic talent that shines. When a defense wants to defend the run, so far he hasn't been better than just good. A good back doesn't hack it in the SEC, there are plenty of good backs. As far as High School Hype, John Brantley was very hyped out of High School, Driskel was, hype of out high school when your the son of Fred Taylor playing the same position, is just hype.

...which is what his original point when making the Taylor / Scarlet comparison...

We're all falling all over ourselves, many believing true freshman Scarlet will be our best back next year; overtaking two RB's who will be in their third year on campus. I really, really, REALLY hope Scarlet is as good as advertised... BUT your long list of players coming in with tons of hype who fell short, only solidifies the point he was trying to make.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I will reserve judgment on Taylor until we see him play under a competent offensive coaching staff. I'm hoping we'll see more 'georgia game' Taylor this season. Ideally Scarlet will be as good as we think he is and Taylor will be the back we believed he could be we he signed with UF and he'll be the workhorse this season while Lane and Scarlet both serve important roles. Scarlet gets to come along at his own pace and then Taylor can bolt for the NFL while his stock is high and before he loses his starting role during his senior season to sophomore Scarlet.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n250717 said:
...which is what his original point when making the Taylor / Scarlet comparison...

We're all falling all over ourselves, many believing true freshman Scarlet will be our best back next year; overtaking two RB's who will be in their third year on campus. I really, really, REALLY hope Scarlet is as good as advertised... BUT your long list of players coming in with tons of hype who fell short, only solidifies the point he was trying to make.

No Freshman has proven anything until he does it on the field consistently. Period. Scarlett, Lane, Taylor, etc... We have a back field full of potential talent, but a lot of question marks.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n250721 said:
No Freshman has proven anything until he does it on the field consistently. Period. Scarlett, Lane, Taylor, etc... We have a back field full of potential talent, but a lot of question marks.

:thumbup:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
We preview fall camp for the Florida Gators. Be sure and check back, as we’ll preview all 14 teams. PERSONNEL Head coach Jim McElwain and his coaching staff prepare to open fall camp and learn a little bit more about their players and team. McElwain has a tough job ahead during his first season in Gainesville, rebuilding a depleted roster at certain uncertain positions. Just because Dante Fowler is gone, don’t expect a big drop off on Florida’s defensive line. One player won’t replace Fowler’s production; rather, the Gators have several defensive linemen who will help fill the void. New defensive coordinator Geoff Collins should be more aggressive, allowing Jon Bullard, Alex McCalister and CeCe Jefferson, among others, to put up pass rush numbers, leaving the talented corners on an island. The Gators’ linebacking corps is thinner than most other positions, but it’s talented. Getting back Antonio Morrison early would be a major boost to this position, but Alex Anzalone, Daniel McMillian and Jarrad Davis are ready for big seasons. Although it’s thin, if this group can stay healthy, it should be fine. Contrary to the linebackers, the secondary is loaded, headlined by corners Vernon Hargreaves and Jalen Tabor. Nickel back Brian Poole and safeties Keanu Neal and Marcus Maye are all great players, too. With such great cornerback play, Collins can afford to dial up the pressure on quarterbacks. Florida will make its case for the SEC’s DBU in 2015. The offense, however, has holes to fill. It starts at quarterback. Will Grier and Treon Harris will continue their position battle through fall camp, and Jim McElwain will need to put five quality players together along the offensive line. Three of the five are probably settled, headlined by tackles David Sharpe and Martez Ivey, though Ivey will have to earn his keep. Florida needs Kelvin Taylor, Adam Lane and Jordan Scarlett to have big seasons, and a wide receiver not named Demarcus Robinson to make an instant impact. Personnel-wise, Florida is as talented as any team in the country, but overcoming questions at quarterback and offensive line could be the difference between 7-5 and 9-3. The Gators must continue to build depth and experience at every position throughout the season. PRIMARY POSITION BATTLES Quarterback —*Pro-style signal caller Will Grier and dual-threat quarterback Treon Harris will continue their competition through fall camp. Grier is the quarterback better suited for the style of play Jim McElwain wants to have, but Harris adds a different dimension with his legs. Grier had a great spring, and he really looks ready to become the starter. Harris, however, may give the Gators their best chance to move the offense up and down the field and ultimately win. One thing’s for certain: this position must produce for the Gators. It produced just seven touchdown passes and 11 INTs during SEC play in 2014. Consistency will be the key, no matter which quarterback gets the nod. Offensive Line*—This group can’t afford any more attrition, period. Ironing out the starting five will be one of the biggest issues the Gators will face during fall camp. Sophomore David Sharpe and freshman Martez Ivey could start at left and right tackle. The most experienced returner, Trip Thurman, should start at center. That leaves right and left guard. Antonio Riles and Travaris Dorsey are the early favorites to win the position, but Andrew Mike will figure into the rotation. Fordham graduate transfer Mason Halter will also compete at tackle, as he was a three-time FCS All-American. Offensive Tackle*— Redshirt sophomore Caleb Brantley and redshirt freshman Taven Bryan are sure to entertain with their position battle. Bryan is called the “Wyoming Wild Man”, while Brantley could be the more talented of the two. Bryan has made nothing but a positive impression since arriving on campus. Regardless of who wins the job, both will be in the rotation and play a lot. However, many are eager to see Bryan in action and to see Brantley at his best. Hopefully, the position battle will bring out the best of both. END GOAL The biggest goal of fall camp is to find a starting quarterback. Whether it’s Grier or Harris, one of the two should be able to efficiently move this offense up and down the field. The coaching staff will cater to the strengths of either player to put the best offensive product on the field. The second biggest issue is finding the right five guys along the offensive line. McElwain recently said on ESPN that Florida could play as many as four freshmen on the offensive line. It will be a tough stretch during SEC play. However, getting these freshmen up to speed during fall camp will be crucial for an eight- or nine-win season
Where did this come from? Cutting and pasting from pay sites is a big no-no. Always back this stuff up with a link.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatorbait25;n250693 said:
I suspect the reason you haven't seen Neal or Harris cross train at OLB is because it's not a very good idea. Fundamentally the positions are nearly the opposite. First step for a safety is always backward unless you're on a blitz. First step for a LB is always forward unless its 3rd and 87. The only way it should be done is if it's going to be permanent . It's not the same as having a Linebacker line up at end is rush situations, or the other way around. In short, you don't want your safety to ever think his first step should be toward the LOS.

I agree with your thoughts and wasn't suggesting to cross train. I was talking about a permanent switch to OLB for one of them. Seems like we have a decent amount of bodies either currently at S or able to play S.

Also, 3rd and 87? You must have caught last year's Lsu game replay the other night.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n250761 said:
I agree with your thoughts and wasn't suggesting to cross train. I was talking about a permanent switch to OLB for one of them. Seems like we have a decent amount of bodies either currently at S or able to play S.

Also, 3rd and 87? You must have caught last year's Lsu game replay the other night.

:thumbup:

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I just want to be able to watch a game all the way through without wanting to throw my TV out the window this year. I don't care who they put on the field.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;250741 said:
Where did this come from? Cutting and pasting from pay sites is a big no-no. Always back this stuff up with a link.

If this is coming from a pay site, then they need to fire all their writers and start over.

There's not one bit of insider information in that entire piece.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just happy that I won't have to look at this again this year.

Attachments

• conv_3822.jpg
    conv_3822.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 44

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n250710 said:
Is collins going to continue some sort of 3-4 scheme that weve had or will we move to more of a 4-3? I didnt watch Ms St D line closely last year but if memory serves me correctly the few times I did pay attention, they seemed more 4-3 than otherwise.
They play SabanD, just like Chimp, though Chimp ran the 2001ish version instead of the later version Collins knows. There are still 3 large DL and one hybrid. I think it is just called "rush" on the Gatorzone roster now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n250761 said:

Harris is just plain too slow to play safety in the SEC. The name for guys who are too slow to play safety is LB. And he's already at least as big as Jeremi Powell.

Neal really isn't too slow, he just has poor instincts coverage. Perhaps he was just taught poorly and too aggressive in run support. It seemed like he bought every play fake he ever saw. He is a beast vs the run though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.