Florida leads SEC in staff turnover over last 15 years

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Pretty much explains things. And you would think UT had more. But we beat them by 20 coaches.

According to research done by David Morrison of the Columbia Daily Tribune, Florida has had more staff turnover in the last 15 years than any other SEC program, undergoing 65 staff changes. Morrison reports that Florida has had 65 different football coaches, counting the head coaching position and the nine on-field assistant coaching positions over the last 15 years.
Missouri has had the fewest staff changes over the last 15 years, using just 17 total people to fill the 10 on-field coaching positions during that time period.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...=sharing#gid=0

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's not a good recipe for consistently good football.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's hope the current staff is successful and can stick together for a few years.

Attachments

• conv_2508.gif
    conv_2508.gif
    299.3 KB · Views: 30

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well at least some of the Meyer turnover was due to success and you had Spurrier leaving to the NFL during that time. I wonder where we fall just starting from Zook's time here.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n182134 said:
And you would think UT had more. But we beat them by 20 coaches.

Tennessee has had 35 coaching changes in the last 6 years alone. That in and of itself is a pretty amazing number. Very little turnover under Fulmer which is why they are so much lower than us over 15 years.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Weird. You'd think people would want to work for the BEST AD in all the universe in the best state for recruiting at the flagship university.

Weird stuff. I bet it's the fans and alumnis fault.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Not surprising and of course this might be part of the issue. It appears that we have a good team now if we can only keep them together for a couple of years.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n182198 said:
Weird. You'd think people would want to work for the BEST AD in all the universe in the best state for recruiting at the flagship university.

Weird stuff. I bet it's the fans and alumnis fault.

At this point Five head coaches, and a number of assistants.... that means four times we have dumped and rebooted the staff in this time. As well as three headcoaches (including Meyer) having a good amount of turnover on their staff. Meyer had three different OCs, Zook 2, Muschamp 3 and the assistants under them. It's not about AD, fans, etc... it comes with having turnover at Head Coach and the longest coach during that tenure having great success and other universities poaching that staff.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I don't believe Foley believes in buyout clauses or other contractual stipulations that would prevent the revolving door we've had. So in that respect he is at fault.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know that I would necessarily consider a change in postion within the staff as turnover. It could be considered cross-training or vetting. Beyond that, many of the prior assistants have moved on to positions as head coaches and bank janitors. I wonder if anyone has done a spreadsheet comparison of staff advancement from the SEC schools. In other words, how many head coaches have gone through the UF program.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
TheDouglas78;n182219 said:
At this point Five head coaches, and a number of assistants.... that means four times we have dumped and rebooted the staff in this time. As well as three headcoaches (including Meyer) having a good amount of turnover on their staff. Meyer had three different OCs, Zook 2, Muschamp 3 and the assistants under them. It's not about AD, fans, etc... it comes with having turnover at Head Coach and the longest coach during that tenure having great success and other universities poaching that staff.

It also is a result of us not paying the assistants as well as other schools do. As I've mentioned before in other posts, some college programs have coordinators on staff that they are paying north of $1million (Alabama and Clemson to name a few) per year which is great incentive for that coach to stick around and wait for a great opportnunity rather than be willing to jump at something of lesser quality. I believe we had fallen to around 20th in the country as far as the assistant coach salary pool prior to the new staff coming on board. When you have smaller schools that provide assistant salary pools that are significantly larger than what we are offering and when you see us paying our coordinators traditionally in the $500k-$600k range (and I don't know if that is still the case with Mac's staff but I would guess it is) that's a problem and that will contribute to staff turnover.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n182301 said:
It also is a result of us not paying the assistants as well as other schools do. As I've mentioned before in other posts, some college programs have coordinators on staff that they are paying north of $1million (Alabama and Clemson to name a few) per year which is great incentive for that coach to stick around and wait for a great opportnunity rather than be willing to jump at something of lesser quality. I believe we had fallen to around 20th in the country as far as the assistant coach salary pool prior to the new staff coming on board. When you have smaller schools that provide assistant salary pools that are significantly larger than what we are offering and when you see us paying our coordinators traditionally in the $500k-$600k range (and I don't know if that is still the case with Mac's staff but I would guess it is) that's a problem and that will contribute to staff turnover.

I agree but I think that trend is changing. I would imagine we're paying Collins, rumph and Shannon pretty well. It looks the administration is trying to catch up as far as spending goes.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would also like to add that it's not like coaches have been leaving here for lateral jobs . Their usually fired or take a better job.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n182250 said:
I don't believe Foley believes in buyout clauses or other contractual stipulations that would prevent the revolving door we've had. So in that respect he is at fault.
Alabama pays enough to keep the assistants they want and invite the ones they don't want to leave.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n182219 said:
Meyer had three different OCs
Mullett, Daz and ???? I think you're wrong there.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
t-gator;n182326 said:
I agree but I think that trend is changing. I would imagine we're paying Collins, rumph and Shannon pretty well. It looks the administration is trying to catch up as far as spending goes.

I hope you are correct. I haven't seen the numbers yet on what the new assistants are making so I can't say for certain where we stack up now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n182339 said:
Alabama pays enough to keep the assistants they want and invite the ones they don't want to leave.
Alabama sucked balls before saban got there. I don't care how much money you administration puts towards football if your coach sucks your program will suffer. We could have the best facilities and highest paid staff in the country and we still would have sucked with muschamp.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Correct.

However, Trailerbammer didn't go all Cadillac on their football program until Lil Nick arrived. Well, they bought plenty of Cadillac Escalades but they didn't make the locker rooms out of gold and ivory until the South Pole Elf arrived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator