Florida leads SEC in staff turnover over last 15 years

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n182178 said:
Well at least some of the Meyer turnover was due to success and you had Spurrier leaving to the NFL during that time. I wonder where we fall just starting from Zook's time here.
This is where we would stand out. Fairly stable with Spurrier, Meyer had turnover from staff moving on and up for most of his. WM was just a total disaster. Even Quinn (the reason we won so much in 2012) moved on

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n182342 said:
Mullett, Daz and ???? I think you're wrong there.

Correct, I through we had another co-oC in 2005, who left, similar to or Co-Defensive coordinator.... but that also shows that we had turnover on the defensive side of the ball as well. So under Meyer 2 OCs and 3 DC (including Matteson, Strong, Austin)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n182301 said:
It also is a result of us not paying the assistants as well as other schools do. As I've mentioned before in other posts, some college programs have coordinators on staff that they are paying north of $1million (Alabama and Clemson to name a few) per year which is great incentive for that coach to stick around and wait for a great opportnunity rather than be willing to jump at something of lesser quality. I believe we had fallen to around 20th in the country as far as the assistant coach salary pool prior to the new staff coming on board. When you have smaller schools that provide assistant salary pools that are significantly larger than what we are offering and when you see us paying our coordinators traditionally in the $500k-$600k range (and I don't know if that is still the case with Mac's staff but I would guess it is) that's a problem and that will contribute to staff turnover.

Georgia, when Meyer was coach were had competitive salaries... being we are talking about the last 15 years, I think the arms race for assistant salaries (much like HC salaries) didn't really take off until the 5 years. Meyer and Saban are probably the key behind that. But that is just another reason within the last 15 years, that this is an issue. Then against who on the staff other than Quinn the last 5 years earned their salary during the season?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n182407 said:
Alabama sucked balls before saban got there. I don't care how much money you administration puts towards football if your coach sucks your program will suffer. We could have the best facilities and highest paid staff in the country and we still would have sucked with muschamp.

And then Muschamp is telling recruits we suck because we had no IPF when he jumped ship until he had to admit we were getting one soon.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
TheDouglas78;n182688 said:
Then against who on the staff other than Quinn the last 5 years earned their salary during the season?

Probably not many, but is the reason for that partly because we didn't pay enough to get a top notch assistants or was it because the head coach would have been a handicap to anybody we brought in?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n182911 said:
Probably not many, but is the reason for that partly because we didn't pay enough to get a top notch assistants or was it because the head coach would have been a handicap to anybody we brought in?

I am sure we paid Weis and probably Quinn decently, other than that, we got a lot of guys where this job was a step up. So we could get away with paying less, with the HC we had we needed a stronger willed OC and it would be worth the money if we paid for it.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
t-gator;n182330 said:
I would also like to add that it's not like coaches have been leaving here for lateral jobs . Their usually fired or take a better job.

I don't know about that T-Gator. Under Meyer, I can think of 2 assistants that left to take a clearly better job; Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong, and Strong left just a year before Meyer did. Greg Mattison left to take a position coach role in the NFL, which could be argued as to whether that was or wasn't a better job than what he had in Gainesville. One of the big reasons that was mentioned as to why he was leaving was because he wanted to be put in the years of service needed to qualify for the NFL coaches' pension. On the flip side, we had guys like Doc Holliday who left to take a similar role at West Virginia compared to what he had at UF. Billy G. left to take I believe the same role at LSU and Stan Drayton, who I think left us for Tennessee and the same job as RBs coach. Maybe I'm overlooking some guys that left for better gigs but I can't think of them so let me know if I am mistaken.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n182916 said:
I don't know about that T-Gator. I can think of 2 assistants that left to take a clearly better job; Dan Mullen and Charlie Strong, and Strong left just a year before Meyer did. Greg Mattison left to take a position coach role in the NFL, which could be argued as to whether that was or wasn't a better job than what he had in Gainesville. One of the big reasons that was mentioned as to why he was leaving was because he wanted to be put in the years of service needed to qualify. On the flip side, we had guys like Doc Holliday who left to take a similar role at West Virginia compared to what he had at UF. Billy G. left to take I believe the same role at LSU and Stan Drayton, who I think left us for Tennessee and the same job as RBs coach. Maybe I'm overlooking some guys that left for better gigs but I can't think of them so let me know if I am mistaken.

Mullen left to be a head coach (MSU)
Weis to be a head coach (KU)
Strong to be a head coach (UL)
Doc Holliday Went back to his WV (where he was a player and coach) and took on more responsibilities
Mattison followed a guy he formerly worked with in Harbaugh and was their Linebackers coach and groomed to replace Rex Ryan as DC (which he did in 2009)
Drayton was a lateral move
Addazio took a head coaching job (Temple)
John Thompson left to be a head coach (ECU)
Zaunbrecker was demoted then fired
Billy Gonzales moved from WR coach to be WR coaching and Passing Game Coordinator
John Hevesy Tight Ends Coach to Offensive Line coach and Running game coordinator
Dan McCarney from DL coach to Head Coach of North Texas
Scit Loeffler from QB coach to OC of Temple
Kenny Carter from Running backs Coach to Runningbacks Coach and Special Teams Coordinator (UL)
Vance Bedford from Cornerbacks to Defensive Coordinator (UL)

Through 2009 coaching staff

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
TheDouglas78;n182921 said:
Mullen left to be a head coach (MSU)
Weis to be a head coach (KU)
Strong to be a head coach (UL)
Doc Holliday Went back to his WV (where he was a player and coach) and took on more responsibilities
Mattison followed a guy he formerly worked with in Harbaugh and was their Linebackers coach and groomed to replace Rex Ryan as DC (which he did in 2009)
Drayton was a lateral move
Addazio took a head coaching job (Temple)
John Thompson left to be a head coach (ECU)
Zaunbrecker was demoted then fired
Billy Gonzales moved from WR coach to be WR coaching and Passing Game Coordinator
John Hevesy Tight Ends Coach to Offensive Line coach and Running game coordinator
Dan McCarney from DL coach to Head Coach of North Texas
Scit Loeffler from QB coach to OC of Temple
Kenny Carter from Running backs Coach to Runningbacks Coach and Special Teams Coordinator (UL)
Vance Bedford from Cornerbacks to Defensive Coordinator (UL)

Through 2009 coaching staff

I was referring to turnover specifically during the Meyer years, not anything before or thereafter. I didn't mention that in my original post (since edited) which was my fault. With that being said, I didn't include guys like Addazio, Loeffler and McCarney because they left after the 2010 season after Meyer resigned and a new head coach (with all of his own handpicked assistants) was coming in, so many of them probably weren't going to have a job on the UF staff anyway. As far as guys like John Hevesy, Billy G. and Kenny Carter, I'm not really sure if the addition of passing game coordinator/running game coordinator/special teams coordinator is really considered a step up, just my opinion. Vance Bedford leaving us to become DC at Louisville definitely is a step up and one that I overlooked.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Add Chuck Heater to DC to your list.

I'd remove Doc though. He was position coach and recruiter coordinator here and took the same job for the Trailereers.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Law98gator;n182950 said:

I'd remove Doc though. He was position coach and recruiter coordinator here and took the same job for the Trailereers.

Heater, co-DC for the Gators before becoming DC for Temple, is another guy who falls into the Addazio/McCarney/Loeffler camp. He left at the same time that Urban left as opposed to leaving an incumbent head coach and stable staff where his departure would have caused some instability, so I personally wouldn't include him on a list of assistant turnover that caused instability in our coaching ranks. Just my opinion.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, all of the Daz/Loeffler group left together. If they are on the list, he is on the list. I agree it's different though when they all left because Creyer quit/unquit/quit.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n182950 said:

Just a list of movement, not all were upgrades... I think Doc was lateral, but he went due to he wanted to go back to his alumni.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInGeorgia;n182944 said:
I was referring to turnover specifically during the Meyer years, not anything before or thereafter. I didn't mention that in my original post (since edited) which was my fault. With that being said, I didn't include guys like Addazio, Loeffler and McCarney because they left after the 2010 season after Meyer resigned and a new head coach (with all of his own handpicked assistants) was coming in, so many of them probably weren't going to have a job on the UF staff anyway. As far as guys like John Hevesy, Billy G. and Kenny Carter, I'm not really sure if the addition of passing game coordinator/running game coordinator/special teams coordinator is really considered a step up, just my opinion. Vance Bedford leaving us to become DC at Louisville definitely is a step up and one that I overlooked.

Can't say if they would stay or not. But just a list of guys. Didn't feel like going through all 15 years, which is what this article is about.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Drayton I think was forced out because he wasn't able to get any production out of the running backs. Gonzalez left for the passing coordinator title because he was pissed off over not being promoted here.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And by the way, we had by far the highest paid coordinator in all of football here the previous four years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, we did.

tiny-faces-3.jpg
[

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Bernardo de la Paz;n184331 said:
Drayton I think was forced out because he wasn't able to get any production out of the running backs.

I remember that being the rumor at the time but in hindsight I don't know how much stock we should put in it. If I recall correctly, Drayton came back to UF a couple of years later and then he ended up coaching for Urban at Ohio State for the past several seasons. It seems that Urban thinks enough of him to keep giving him jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator