Florida man’s 18-foot, 150-pound python breaks record in state

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There is a video but it will not embed
A Florida man now holds the record for capturing the largest Burmese python in the state after he ensnared a massive 18-footer over the weekend.

John Hammond captured the serpent in the Florida Everglades as part of the South Florida Water Management District’s (SFWMD) Python Elimination Program, Fox 35 reported.

“Ran down, grabbed it by the head. When I did that, it constricted me from the waist down, which was the plan,” Hammond told the news station of the capture.

“The snake bags were too small. I had a tent bag in the truck. I coaxed it into the tent bag, and then the tent bag into a gang box,” he added.

The serpent, which weighed 150 pounds, was displayed in Hammond’s driveway while he skinned the animal for its hide.

python.jpg

The Florida man's python broke the record for the biggest captured in the state thus far. (FWC)

“It’s domestic leather, and if we can get to using it here, it’s not wasted,” he said.

The SFWMD’s program helps to eliminate the “invasive” species from the Everglades ecosystem, as Burmese pythons there have “decimated native populations of wildlife,” the agency previously said.

Professional pythons hunters, as selected by program officials, are allowed to go on district-owned lands to hunt. The creatures are then captured and euthanized humanely.

Hammond’s 18-foot python was euthanized by officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), according to Fox 35. The FWC took to Facebook Tuesday to share a picture of the lengthy serpent, adding “during cooler months, people are more likely to see pythons during the day.”

Hammond now takes the title for a biggest Burmese python captured in the state. A man in West Palm Beach previously held the record for a 17-foot, 5-inch, 120-pound python he caught in November.

Florida man’s 18-foot, 150-pound python breaks record in state

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That’s nuts. It’s also nuts that they have to capture humanly and “euthanized” these invasive creatures that are unnatural for that area. They should allow open hunting season and allow hunters to shoot the fcukers.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That’s nuts. It’s also nuts that they have to capture humanly and “euthanized” these invasive creatures that are unnatural for that area. They should allow open hunting season and allow hunters to shoot the fcukers.
Because all the lite in loafers folk.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, couldn’t you be killed by one of these suckers grabbing them like that? One wrapping around your head would be very bad indeed.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, couldn’t you be killed by one of these suckers grabbing them like that? One wrapping around your head would be very bad indeed.

Death is generally slow and I would imagine very frightening. As you exhale the snake constricts a little more until you can no longer draw breath and you become unconcious.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
titanoboa-worlds-largest-snake-2.jpg
Largest snake the world has ever seen is being brought back to life by Smithsonian Channel
Slithering in at 48 feet long and weighing an estimated one-and-a-half tons, the largest snake the world has ever seen is being brought back to life. Sixty million years ago, in the mysterious era after the mass extinction of the dinosaurs, scientists believe that a colossal snake related to modern boa constrictors ruled a lost world.

The story behind this significant scientific revelation began in 2002, when a Colombian student visiting the coal mine made an intriguing discovery: a fossilized leaf that hinted at an ancient rainforest from the Paleocene epoch. Over the following decade, collecting expeditions led by the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute and the Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida opened a unique window into perhaps the first rainforest on Earth. Fossil finds included giant turtles and crocodiles, as well as the first known bean plants and some of the earliest banana, avocado and chocolate plants. But their most spectacular discovery was the fossilized vertebrae of a previously undiscovered species of snake, one so large it defied imagination.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Death is generally slow and I would imagine very frightening. As you exhale the snake constricts a little more until you can no longer draw breath and you become unconcious.
Yeah, but the good news is that once you're lifeless the snake eats you head first. Luckily, digestion is extremely slow as the acids decompose you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator