Florida Pro Franchises

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
The post on the Jags losing battles with the players union got me thinking. Not many of the pro franchises in Florida are worth a damn.

The only one I’d consider to be a model of excellence is the Lightning. Great in the community. Competitive culture. Invests in big-time free agents. Great game-day and in-arena experience. Fun to watch. Pretty amazing a hockey team in Florida cracked the code better than any of the football or baseball teams.

The one I hate the most because of how far it underperforms versus it’s market potential is the Bucs. Well, actually I mainly hate them for drafting and prioritizing rapist Nole scum. And sucking. And being boring. Poorly coached by someone actually dumber than Kirby. Owners care more about British soccer. Yep, they bad.

How do you feel about your local pro teams? And do the Magic still exist?

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
They all suck they’ve had their successes but on a whole Florida pro sports suck because the fans that live here are mostly transplants...this state is too transient for ppl to be invested...now college sports are more regional and differ in the way that a kid from Pittsburgh or New York can have parents that aren’t too loyal to a certain college but are very invested in their pro teams...that’s what helps foster loyalty and fandom for college teams where none for the pros exist

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The Jaguars have been a model of incompetency for most of the last 18 years. They nickel and dime their best players and throw money at players who've only shown themselves to be inconsistent.

You've covered Tampa Bay well.

South Florida teams? Lol. The fans don't care unless there's a championship-caliber team playing...and even then, it's 50-50 whether they turn up.

The Orlando Magic have been terrible for at least a generation with ownership that doesn't care about the team, product, or community. They've focused more on building shiny buildings and replicating the Staples Center experience in downtown LA instead of investing in the team. Having entertaining things to do before the game is nice, but it's still secondary to watching a competent team. Orlando City soccer isn't much better: they've missed the playoffs every single year mostly due to poor coaching and a front office that can't quite crack the code (much to my chagrin).

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I tried getting behind the Phins as a teenager but being from Pittsburgh in the 70’s it was hard. I would go to games and there was as many or more Steelers there. I will travel for the Gators and the Steelers. I have been to all of the Florida pro events. Baseball too! Its a different vibe than say going to a home Cubs game or Eagles. I am excited to head to Vegas and see the new Raiders venue. I have a feeling that may end up being a pretty good experience.

Nothing I have experienced can beat the Swamp for any SEC or FSU game or a Steeler game when the Pats or Ravens come calling.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Put apostrophes around the word “Pro.” Miami would be a seven-point dog to UF.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
They all suck they’ve had their successes not on a whole Florida pro sports suck because the fans that live here are mostly transplants...this state is too transient for ppl to be invested...now college sports are more regional and differ in the way that a kid from Pittsburgh or New York can have parents that aren’t too loyal to a certain college but are very invested in their pro teams...that’s what helps foster loyalty and fandom for college teams where none for the pros exist

I agree. But the Lightning managed to overcome that. They really battled the whole transplant issue. There were no native hockey fans here to start. Until recently, you’d go to home games against New York franchises and there would be so many more Rangers, Devils, or Islanders jerseys there it was more like a road game.

I grew up a Flyers fan, but increasingly grew to appreciate the Lightning because the franchise is just so worthy of it. It is quite connectable. Now I would not even remotely think about Philly over Tampa.

Not every transplant fan is open to switching, but in a state with 20 million people there’s enough that if the product on the field is solid, and a long term commitment to excellence is there, seems like there’s enough people to come around. Exception being the Rays. Half of what would otherwise be their natural draw radius is in the Gulf. Dumb location set up to fail.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
I tried getting behind the Phins as a teenager but being from Pittsburgh in the 70’s it was hard. I would go to games and there was as many or more Steelers there. I will travel for the Gators and the Steelers. I have been to all of the Florida pro events. Baseball too! Its a different vibe than say going to a home Cubs game or Eagles. I am excited to head to Vegas and see the new Raiders venue. I have a feeling that may end up being a pretty good experience.

Nothing I have experienced can beat the Swamp for any SEC or FSU game or a Steeler game when the Pats or Ravens come calling.

There is no doubt that the Swamp is the premier sports destination in Florida, bar none.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Never really watched hockey but it wasn’t on in my house when I was a kid

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Transplants follow the Steelers or the Giants in football or the team from the region they moved from to Florida. Same with baseball. North Florida natives and many in Central or South Florida who have been around awhile follow the Gators or FSU. There's no excitement or loyal following for pro franchises in Florida. The snowbirds say from Ohio follow Ohio State and the Big Ten and not the SEC. If they move down here and their kids go to school here, go to college at UF or FSU, then the kids become SEC or ACC college football fans.

Pro football, and pro sports in general, are more important up North than down South. Down South the college game is more important. If you're in Georgia the big game takes place in Athens not Atlanta, in Louisiana it's Baton Rouge not New Orleans, in Tennessee it's Knoxville on Saturday not watching the Titans in Nashville on Sunday. Alabama the epicenter of college football has no major pro football franchise.

There was a pro league a few years ago that never got of the ground that was based in the South and the concept was that colleges from only certain states would supply the rosters for the different teams. For example the team from Birmingham would be made up of players who played at Bama, Auburn or other nearby schools; the team in Orlando would be filled by players from Florida schools etc. But like it said it never got off the ground.

When I was a kid you went up North to a big city, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Chicago to watch a major league baseball game in person and it was a once in lifetime thrill for a Florida kid. Pro baseball in Florida was trying to get the autograph of a big leaguer at a laid back Grapefruit League game. Even to this day I still have that mindset. Big League baseball is Crosley Field, Busch Stadium, or Wrigley Field. Any big league baseball game in Florida is Grapefruit League.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Transplants are just an excuse. In the mid 90s, most of Florida was following the Magic. Garbage franchises are garbage franchises.If younput a bad product on the field consistently, fans leave.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Can’t give up my Chicago allegiances, but I’ve semi-adopted the Lightning and Rays. Toughest ticket in town is to a Lightning game.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Put apostrophes around the word “Pro.” Miami would be a seven-point dog to UF.

If the Dolphins and scrotUM played a real football game at Pro Player or Joe Robbie or whatever it is called, the place would still be 3/4's empty.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If the Dolphins and scrotUM played a real football game at Pro Player or Joe Robbie or whatever it is called, the place would still be 3/4's empty.

That area will never support jack shyt. Miami Syndrome. Too many transplants, too many cultures, too many other things to do.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The Heat are a good franchise, if you consider Miami in Florida.

They are competitive, have a good fan base, and don’t seem to $hit on their fans like the Bucs.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Transplants are just an excuse. In the mid 90s, most of Florida was following the Magic. Garbage franchises are garbage franchises.If younput a bad product on the field consistently, fans leave.
I agree with you mostly. I have been here since age 10. I will always be a Pittsburgh fan because my earliest memories are of watching and going to games and matches with my father and grandfather. Now I travel with my son and son-n-law to games. My brother and I are both Gators. We tried having Florida allegiances in addition to the Steelers, Bucs and Penguins. The Florida pro franchises are all overpriced trash. I would rather fly to say NY to watch the Steelers than drive an hour to Dolphins game. Miami just sucks all around.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hockey in person is 1000 percent totally different than on television, you don't appreciate the athleticism and skating ability until you see it up close. Even minor league hockey is fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator