Florida vs. Kentucky, Monday Morning Film Study: The sky is not falling

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm still a lot more worried about our secondary than I am our offense. The offense got their sh*t together in the 2nd half and OT, but the defense was really fortunate to come away with stops a couple times. If that UK player makes the catch instead of dropping it for a pick late in the game, UK is close to FG range and who knows what might happen. The DB's are obviously very green still and they just need to keep getting coached up. I'm sure it'll end up being a situation like 07 going into 08 where they greatly improve after taking their lumps.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I like the analysis they provide, but it is easy to see mistakes and say we can fix them. The question is do we ever actually fix them...? I feel like our OL hasn't been able to pick up a blitz since 2009.

I get that we moved people around, but these guys better get this fixed if they want a chance against Bama.

Driskel still has to learn how to hit long balls.

I am also worried about the secondary, but I think the key here is getting pressure on the QB. If our DL can get some pressure it will take the pressure off the secondary.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The thought that bad teams can't/won't ever improve is a dangerous one. We can't sleep on people. Tennessee for example may end up decent in a year or two because they're pulling these monster classes in. Kentucky is clearly better than they have been in a long time.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member

We really could have used that Idaho tune up game to work out some of these kinks...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n52064 said:
I like the analysis they provide, but it is easy to see mistakes and say we can fix them. The question is do we ever actually fix them...? I feel like our OL hasn't been able to pick up a blitz since 2009.

I get that we moved people around, but these guys better get this fixed if they want a chance against Bama.

Driskel still has to learn how to hit long balls.

I am also worried about the secondary, but I think the key here is getting pressure on the QB. If our DL can get some pressure it will take the pressure off the secondary.

Watching the replay I didn't think the O line was real bad actually. A lot of those plays the defense brought more players than could be blocked. The QB needs to find the safety valve just like all the other college QBs have to when that happens.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n52077 said:
Watching the replay I didn't think the O line was real bad actually. A lot of those plays the defense brought more players than could be blocked. The QB needs to find the safety valve just like all the other college QBs have to when that happens.

Yeah they were blitzing the dogsh*t out of us, which is common in a 3-4 look. Several things could have/should have gone differently. Driskel could have hit his hot routes sooner, we could have called some screens, or we could have rolled the pocket out more to give him more time to throw.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Today is Tuesday.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n52081 said:
Yeah they were blitzing the dogsh*t out of us, which is common in a 3-4 look. Several things could have/should have gone differently. Driskel could have hit his hot routes sooner, we could have called some screens, or we could have rolled the pocket out more to give him more time to throw.

I was watching the O line a lot but did the RB's usually pick up the guy they were supposed to on passing plays you saw ?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n52087 said:
I was watching the O line a lot but did the RB's usually pick up the guy they were supposed to on passing plays you saw ?

I don't remember, I'd have to go back and watch again. I vaguely remember a play where Matt Jones seemed to pick up the wrong guy, but that could be the exhaustion talking.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In retrospect, it was the usual second game wrinkles to be worked out but being played against true SEC caliber talent/schemes instead of the usual cupcake. I'm happy we had the want to in that game to take it and not fold. Character intact in such a battle. Go Gators!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n52081 said:

I recall one screen that we are fortunate didn't go for a pick six. After that I think Roper decided the risk wasn't worth it.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n52104 said:
I recall one screen that we are fortunate didn't go for a pick six. After that I think Roper decided the risk wasn't worth it.
When did a screen almost go for a pick 6? The only plays that came real close to an Int was the 1 INT and the play where Robinson slipped and the ball was already thrown on a timing route (which of course Driskel never does because he only throws when the receiver has already made his break and is open) and the DB couldn't make the catch and Robinson caught the ricochet.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n52162 said:
When did a screen almost go for a pick 6? The only plays that came real close to an Int was the 1 INT and the play where Robinson slipped and the ball was already thrown on a timing route (which of course Driskel never does because he only throws when the receiver has already made his break and is open) and the DB couldn't make the catch and Robinson caught the ricochet.

There was a screen that almost got picked against EMU, maybe that's what he means.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
That wasn't a screen even. Jones screwed the pooch on that one from the get go. There's a difference between a check down to a running back and a screen; this one was not a designed screen.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n52236 said:
That wasn't a screen even. Jones screwed the pooch on that one from the get go. There's a difference between a check down to a running back and a screen; this one was not a designed screen.

My first thoughts was that it was a screen. It was behind the line and it appeared we invited their pressure.
Our line didn't seem to pick anyone up on the play, but again I'd have to go back and look.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think many here underestimate the power of equity and benefit of the doubt(or lack thereof) in cases like Saturday. I don't know that anyone has refused to see positives from the game. And yes, it's the SEC and many of our best teams have had absolute dogfights with teams like Uk during great seasons. So no, I don't believe the sky is falling at all. I do, however, think that the leash is short and the general perception is that the current staff's ability to get us to where we are accustomed to being is in serious question. And frankly, WM and Co are the ones that put themselves in that position.

So while I am approaching the season optimistically, and am even ok with a hiccup here or there, I also think we have to accept that the margin for error is what it is at this point. There are no trophies to point at to comfort us, the way we could under Spurrier and Meyer. That certainty simply isn't there. So overreaction, if not already a staple of cfb message boards, is going to run rampant this year. And I'll repeat what I've stated numerous times here, in saying that WM has the ability to change that. It's simply a matter of whether or not he does/can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator