***Florida vs South Carolina BBALL Game Thread***

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Good post play, TLB. Thanks for the reason reminder.
Significant + or - = atrocious FT shooting, ineffective "big-man" play, poor guard play,
clang-shots on rims, what else? Could KAllen be "made" a more active ball-handler ..
dangerous for driving?

This is a confusion for me. Recalling (never-forgetting) UCLA's Bill Walton hitting 20 of 22
turnaround jumpers in that NC game where he banked everyone off the backboard ?
Many real shooters, even guards on drives, use the backboard to dampen the force-fly
of the ball. Are they not teaching that, practicing that, coaching stuff like that? could
lead to a player discovering something better for his game.??

Then also, maybe the offseason, why not run an experiment = take statistics
on our guys shooting FT like Rick Berry, that "granny-style. Realize that a long-arm guy
like Egbunu would have a ball release-point 3 feet closer to the basket, plus UF's
kinesiology studies can prove that underhanded mechanics is smoother, more natural.
Berry's FT% is still near the top in NBA history. It's a university; why not experiment and
collect data of proof? If, like Berry, we started hitting 80+% of our free throws ? It's all a
sign of a really good team, hard to beat. That's coaching them upward. ???

Hell, their was an NBA guard,(Grier?), who shot his FTs via a jump shot = the shot he
got the most practice doing. When you're shooting 60% or lower, why not experiment?

PS>> Underhand FTs can be practiced much longer without fatigue or aching injury.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I also think a key reason we are so low in recruiting is numbers. We only have 2 guys coming in due to the fact that we don't have many spots available.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm not sure any kid in today's day and age would be willing to do granny free-throws, even it if improved their scoring (which the team is counting on). It's a hard sell. I like your open-mindedness, and agree that perhaps in a closed door setting the coaches could have the kids shoot 50 granny and 50 how they want. Then, assuming the granny shot got a better %, the kid had to shoot that way in practice and games until his preferred style of shooting yielded better % than granny. THAT would be motivation to work on improving your FTs.

It still boggles my mind how bad we got last year and pretty much maintained for this year in regards to individual FTs. I mean, it's not like the kids should be happy with how they are, and nobody is stopping them from shooting 1000 a night on their own to get better. THIS is one of those reasons I question how coachable these kids might be. They aren't even improving on something they are embarrassing themselves at attempting, with or without a coach yelling at them for screwing it up or trying to tweak them for improvement.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I also think a key reason we are so low in recruiting is numbers. We only have 2 guys coming in due to the fact that we don't have many spots available.

Well, maybe we address that also thru some attrition? I'm sure there are a few that can be encouraged to move on. Though, the only ones I'd really look to push out are at the guard area where we are already too thin. You're probably right - fewer spots is a key factor in lower recruiting, but we have to hope White can fill the few vacancies with quality. Regardless, you know the moaners will not be happy. If we only have 3 open slots we need a trio of 8* players to bring up the level of play for the team

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
No, just the latest place I'm spewing non-stop. And as an added bonus, I'm getting mad at myself for derailing the thread. I hate me. I'm going to time-out for awhile.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
@NV and @TLB

Agreed. I think it would be best for both parties for Walker to look elsewhere. Then there's Murph, who knows if he will apply for a medical redshirt (hope Crete doesn't see this) and come back.

So we are losing DFS for sure, and possibly Murphy. Should be interesting to see who else leaves.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@NV and @TLB

Agreed. I think it would be best for both parties for Walker to look elsewhere. Then there's Murph, who knows if he will apply for a medical redshirt (hope Crete doesn't see this) and come back.

So we are losing DFS for sure, and possibly Murphy. Should be interesting to see who else leaves.
Yep, Walker has seen less and less PT at the season progresses. He's good on D, but lousy on O. Sound familiar, Kasey?
If we can pick up a talented ball handler (either JUCO or grad transfer), Walker should be handed his walking papers. Will be interesting to see what Murph2 does - he could be an asset next year, if healthy, but could potentially throw a wrench into the number of available scholarships for 2016-17.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Agreed. Saw LSU may be without one of their better players for the rest of the year so I think that one is more winnable now.

All 4 games are toss-ups IMO. Let's hope we get 2 at the minimum

That's just the way it is.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, Walker has seen less and less PT at the season progresses. He's good on D, but lousy on O. Sound familiar, Kasey?
If we can pick up a talented ball handler (either JUCO or grad transfer), Walker should be handed his walking papers. Will be interesting to see what Murph2 does - he could be an asset next year, if healthy, but could potentially throw a wrench into the number of available scholarships for 2016-17.
Walker is average on the ball defensively terrible off the ball defensively. He doesn't contribute in any way. Grad transfer would be ideal as far as finding a pg. As bad as our pg's have been, it may be tough to find a juco pg any better. We need to add a post player aswell. So if Murphy leaves, we should look to add a big man.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Time to help out with some transfers.

Good thinking, NV. We could pull a reverse North Carolina i.e. conspire with some professors to
flunk certain players. The NCAA would never think to check that.

No, just the latest place I'm spewing non-stop. And as an added bonus, I'm getting mad at myself for derailing the thread. I hate me. I'm going to time-out for awhile.

TLB, the wayward Hemingway, hemming and hawing.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator