***Florida vs South Carolina BBALL Game Thread***

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, just stating you are putting forward the same illogical defense. If the coach isn't ultimately responsible for the play on the field or the court then why bother having one. The "well the coach isn't one playing the game" defense is one of the most laughable defenses of poor team performance one could come up with.

The only way that defense holds in any water is if we traded a musty for a Saban or a white for a coach k and not much changes. You and I both know if we had a top coach we'd be in much better shape than we are. That's why I find that line of defense laughable.

But you still my dawg big claw :fistbump:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that coaches should be held accountable but I just don't see it here. Maybe if we were 10-17, and not 17-10 I could see and understand the criticism. But we have a 17-10 basketball team with a top 10 SOS under a first year coach with players he didn't recruit. Let's call them what they are, a wildly inconsistent basketball team. Also, to those saying why doesn't he draw up plays (I'm sure he does), explain how we could even be successful doing that if teams can run zone against us all game, protect the paint but give us open 3's and us only hit about 5 a game? Not whites fault in that category, imo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
One of the least informed posts ever. Lol. Did it never reach your medulla oblongata that last year we had one of the very best coaches in all of basketball? How did they shoot for him? Oh that's right! They played worse! Hoist on your own petard. This coach has them near the limit of their modest abilities--they rebound and play defense. Maybe we can eventually recruit some better shooters.
Cool story bro! Thanks for the like!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is an enigmatic or tough season for even the legend coaches. Calipari, even with
his "full court" of 5*s, started the season as a madiocre team, only catching on near the
season's end. (can we beat them?) We sure do not have any 5*s. So 17-10 is madiocre also,
but we're not a BB school..?? [ but we got 5 pages on a BB topic] .
Future UF BB teams will fully reflect White's coacher culture.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, to those saying why doesn't he draw up plays (I'm sure he does), explain how we could even be successful doing that if teams can run zone against us all game, protect the paint but give us open 3's and us only hit about 5 a game? Not whites fault in that category, imo.
Certainly you have to make shots to win and every team has bad shooting days. In the Alabama game for example, they did exactly what you are saying... We got a bunch of open shots, but only ended up hitting 3-21 3s and 18-63 overall. The fact that game was even close is pretty amazing and I didn't think White was bad in that one.

The sc game was a different story. We were shooting at about our season average. In overtime we had chiozza slowly walking the ball up the court despite the fact we were losing. There were a couple possessions in a row where we wasted the first 20 seconds of the shot clock standing at half court and not trying to create a good shot. This would be like a football team running the 2 minute drill while huddling after every play and using the whole play clock. That's absolutely on white. He should have been screaming at cheese to get moving.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Unless you are running a completely opposite system (like the Bennett's slow paced pack-line D), getting players to play your system should not be difficult. Apparently one of the reasons White was hired is because he runs a style similar to Billy D. White is learning on the job, and needed to learn quickly so year 2 and 3 aren't a disaster. That being said, I think he'll get it done.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
The clowns bashing White and calling for him to be fired are just dumb. The players have multiple open shots a game and throw up cinder blocks. At least give the guy a couple years before you beat on the circus drum and demand hanging by the neck.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Bottom line, if he doesn't recruit better it won't matter. I think we can all agree on that.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
Yes, because basketball recruiting is super easy if you aren't a blue blood. White needs to coach better and isn't immune from criticism, but some of yall are nuts with expectations when it comes to shooty hoops recruiting. Billy wasn't a stellar recruiter either and got tired of the shady AAU tactics. You really must be high if you think we pull in multiple 4-5* every year, it aint gonna happen.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Yes, because basketball recruiting is super easy if you aren't a blue blood. White needs to coach better and isn't immune from criticism, but some of yall are nuts with expectations when it comes to shooty hoops recruiting. Billy wasn't a stellar recruiter either and got tired of the shady AAU tactics. You really must be high if you think we pull in multiple 4-5* every year, it aint gonna happen.

Pooner you're correct. It seems bball recruiting has taken a turn for the worse and unless you get in with the shady AAU circuit you won't get the 5 stars funneled to you. I hope White is the type of coach who can take the 3 stars and turn them into absolute studs and occasionally get the 4 and 5 stars, and year one is not enough time to prove that. It seems we have bad luck with 5 stars.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
Pooner you're correct. It seems bball recruiting has taken a turn for the worse and unless you get in with the shady AAU circuit you won't get the 5 stars funneled to you. I hope White is the type of coach who can take the 3 stars and turn them into absolute studs and occasionally get the 4 and 5 stars, and year one is not enough time to prove that. It seems we have bad luck with 5 stars.

At least some of us understand how hard it is to get 5 star one-and-dones funneled into a program that isn't a blue blood. We will have to rely on coaching, not recruiting loads of studs every year to compete.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree that we are not going to rely on 1 and done players, but we do need to be getting 4* guys in here to compliment the 3*s. Hopefully this allows us to build experienced teams who can play at a high level... like OU has this year.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
I agree that we are not going to rely on 1 and done players, but we do need to be getting 4* guys in here to compliment the 3*s. Hopefully this allows us to build experienced teams who can play at a high level... like OU has this year.

Exactly. White already has a couple 4 stars committed, but we don't have 10 Mickey D All-World 5* Death Stars, so some wouldn't be satisfied anyway.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't seen a groundswell of posters calling for White to be fired ?
You aren't equating those who profess that White wasn't the right hire with
saying "fire him" are you.

When I criticize White, it is like me yelling at Chiozza : "pass the ball, feed inside."
"For God's sake, don't shoot from out there." I'm not calling for pulling Chiozza's scholarship.
Nor am I calling for White's firing. Just calling White to get "fired up" at coaching on correcting
that player's mistakes, the team's mistakes. = just a fan yelling.

RobertPooner

BANNED
Sep 4, 2015
This seems like a good time to remind everyone Kasey Hill, aka the PG that couldn't hit a barn wall with a 10 gauge filled with grapeshot, and Chris "Sky" Walker were *5.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
What would be appropriate expectations of a first year coach?

He can't break a lifetime of bad habits for players (poor shot selection, poor mechanics leading to a low % of made field goals, etc). Hopefully he can get to work on some of the individual skill sets to improve throughout the season, but that's a shared responsibility on the staff to recognize and coach out bad habits, and on players to buy in and commit to working on improving. From a team level, even with 'similar' playing styles, it is limiting for a first year coach to try and get the existing roster to follow his terminology, his vision of how to handle situations, etc. There would be limited impact on team play. While we all hope for even slight team play improvement (last year was awful, this year is better from a record perspective, perhaps a wash in terms of execution), there's not a lot this staff could institute and build upon in the first year.

I'd point to DFS as an example of identifying individual skillset needs and addressing them - at least in term of seeing a need for leadership on the team and getting DFS to buy in and make the changes necessary. Beyond that, I'm not sure how much I see for individual player improvements - is that a lack of the coaches recognizing and addressing them, or an issue of players set in their ways and not trying to listen to the new staff? I can say, but the same players didn't improve much under BD's staff either.

In looking for improvement at the 'team play' level, many have bemoaned the lack of structured offense. Has the defense improved? I would think, coming from a coach who was a former Guard, the two big pushes would be defending and running plays....individual execution may take a back seat as the conceptual foundations are being laid in year one. Again, small changes can be made in year one, but it's years 2-3 where those foundations should start showing up more AND individual skills may have improved noticeably (if the players are willing to listen).

Bottom line - it's year 1. It may not be what we want as fans, but neither was last year, under a HOF coach. NIT or NCAA this year, matters not a whole lot to me personally and each has it's own carrot/stick opportunity for the team moving forward. YES, White has to get good players, but he ALSO has to show he can develop them both individually and as a team. that doesn't happen in year 1, at least not in a significant way.

MidwestChomp

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
If this team makes the NCAA tournament, the year is a success. And as frustrating as the PGs are to watch, I do think they are better than last year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Looking to next year, what are we losing? Who are we carrying over that will have a year of the White system and be expected to show improvement?

From the roster I'm looking at, our only SRs are Alex Murphy (MIA this season), DFS (we'll miss him), and walk on Lexx Edwards. I can't see any Juniors going early (Rimmer, Leon, Walker, or Hill). We'll need some leadership to step up that isn't there now behind DFS, but we should have good inside presence with Egbunu / Rimmer / Leon / Robinson all having a year under White = we shouldn't be worried about guys learning a system, we'll have a good core in the paint that SHOULD know what they are doing. Even with Hays and Stone as freshman, they'll have had a year to get acclimated and should contribute off the bench.

We'll still be stuck with Hill / Chiozza handling the ball, and we sure as hell better see some development on their part. My feeling is Hill has hit his ceiling, he's got speed and that's it, so we won't get much more next year.. Chiozza, IMO, is capable of learning and growing, so I'm really hoping a former Guard as a coach finds a way to elevate Chiozza's play as an individual and as the ball handler for the team. I expect Allen will be there a second year, maybe a third, but that's probably it. He's the kind of kid who can learn and will do what the team needs (so long as he can recognize when they need someone to take over scoring or to set up everyone else), and I hope for good things out of Ramirez, but haven't seen enough to know....just have the expectation of the staff to recognize his skills, develop where needed and make him a significant contributor going forward as opposed to a warm body off the bench when we have foul issues or someone needs a break.

Yes, I said it, I'm looking to next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator